PDA

View Full Version : So many sulfers and galahs needing a home

RoseBandit
05-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Just been looking at a Parrot Rescue Centre somewhere in queensland Australia an dont you just get the feeling when you're looking through birds that need a home when you just wish you could have them all? I wish I could! Its ridiculous at the amount of sulfers and galahs there are for adoption and an occasional corella!! Its so important to really think before you get a bird. Really upsets me to see so many birds needing a home. Poor things :(

To future parronts or parronts wanting another little birdie, seriously consider re homing! A beautiful act

Hobbit
05-01-2013, 02:48 PM
If only I could go to Australia to adopt a Galah!!!! I would KILL for one!

roxynoodle
05-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Trust me, our rescues here are also filled with cockatoos (and amazons). It is always sad when animals are without homes :( I have 2 rehomes myself and they are wonderful companions.

mistywaterwoman
05-01-2013, 04:15 PM
I don't know of any "official" bird rescues anywhere in my state. I know several bird enthusiasts, including my sister Rhonda, that everyone seems to USE as a bird rescue, but that's about it. I check Craigslist all the time and though there are occasional bird rehoming posts, they always seem to be in pretty good shape and willing to wait for a decent home. I guess we are lucky around here.

Mare
05-01-2013, 04:17 PM
It is sad that people will give up their birds, seemingly, so easily. Some, I'm sure, may have had no other choice but to give to a rescue. Re-homing a bird is better, in my mind, than sending your bird off to a rescue and not have a clue as to what his/her future owners will be like. I have two re-homed cockatoos and everyday is not always sunny with them but they are family and we love and accept them for who they are, COCKATOOS!

jtbirds
05-11-2013, 02:59 AM
Having all 20 of my birds being rescues and working in rescue as well I see so much of this, over there they are bound to have more galas and sulphurs just because of we're they are in the world, but we have so many cockatoos and macaws and amazons in the rescue it is outstanding, people think it is some game and it isn't, this is a serious lifetime commitment you must enjoy and love for the rest of your life.

tonkatiel
05-12-2013, 08:49 PM
I've been looking at the birds available through the PRC for a while now - and one day I still hope to adopt one!

But I find that because a lot of there birds are still living with previous owners, waiting for a new home to come along, there are some pretty strict and/or strange requirements....
'Can't go to a home with other birds'
'Can't go to a home with kids'
'Only likes males so has to go to a male only home'
'Had since a baby, always been in an inside cage with no other birds around - must go to someone who can provide an outdoor aviary with other birds' :/
And these are just a few that I have seen...

I'm in VIC where there are very rarely birds available for adoption, and any of the birds who would fit my home, aren't allowed to go interstate...

Honesty
05-12-2013, 08:51 PM
I hope you manage to find one soon:)

jtbirds
05-13-2013, 01:21 AM
I've been looking at the birds available through the PRC for a while now - and one day I still hope to adopt one!

But I find that because a lot of there birds are still living with previous owners, waiting for a new home to come along, there are some pretty strict and/or strange requirements....
'Can't go to a home with other birds'
'Can't go to a home with kids'
'Only likes males so has to go to a male only home'
'Had since a baby, always been in an inside cage with no other birds around - must go to someone who can provide an outdoor aviary with other birds' :/
And these are just a few that I have seen...

I'm in VIC where there are very rarely birds available for adoption, and any of the birds who would fit my home, aren't allowed to go interstate...

tonka that is all the stuff i never do with the parrots is sterotype them, when i rescue they get a clean slat plus parrots cant tell gender. Those kind of stipulations are what make rescues fail and get bad reps... its so pitiful to give them so many sterotypes and regulations they will never get good homes, for example we got our one blue and gold it had been stated she hated mutiple bird homes and dogs and younger kids, none of that is the case she is fine with everything as she lives in our house with a dog and my young brother... so it was all made up:).

sorry they put such worthless stipulations on you trying to adopt.

Kalidasa
05-13-2013, 02:14 AM
449I can't describe how fulfilling it has been for me to adopt a "problem" rescue, how closely bonded we are, the amazing turnaround, watching her become healthier and happier day by day.:th_dancing:

RoseBandit
05-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Wow! Thats amazing how you guys turn bird with "problems" so to speak into these beautiful fids you share stories on! Makes me think. "Why the heck would you give up such a beautiful creature?!?!"