PDA

View Full Version : GW Temperament?

kendrafitz
01-23-2015, 03:40 PM
This is a question for anyone with a GW. How is their temperment.

Rosie is a very opinionated, ornery girl. She has been that way since we met. She is quick to complain about anything that annoys her. She doesn't have much of an easy going personality. This is fine with me as she is an individual.

When we were at the vets office and she was throwing down about being toweled it occurred to me she may not be "usual". I asked the vet & assistant if she was stronger willed than her GW counterparts. After they hemmed and hawed, I pressed. The answer I got is usually GWs are more laid back and less resistant than Rosie.

So I am wondering if my girl is in the minority with her GW friends?

Cedardave
01-23-2015, 04:56 PM
I think like people, all birds have individual personalities as well as bad days.Our Greenwings are a bonded pair,but are both very strong willed and stuborn.They certainly dont lack in character...

PlaxMacaws
01-23-2015, 07:03 PM
Rosie is a very opinionated, ornery girl. She has been that way since we met. She is quick to complain about anything that annoys her. She doesn't have much of an easy going personality. This is fine with me as she is an individual.I would say that's almost how Salsa is, Kendra. He can definitely be opinionated and ornery (when he gets in one of his tenacious moods, that is). And he's always been quite bold about his intentions and wants. But, as I'm sure is the case with Rosie, Salsa has a super sweet side as well... he can be very affectionate and loves to be handled and scritched. Aside from those traits, he's a major comedian 24/7. He's driven to constantly engage in silly behaviors. As such, he keeps me quite amused - he's responsible for lots of laughs around here :D

kendrafitz
01-23-2015, 11:38 PM
Agreed Dave.

Tony - yes, my girl, like Salsa is very loving, affectionate and funny. She has me giggling several times a day at a minimum. The minute she gets a laugh, she bobs up and down with glee and laughs herself. I really enjoy our time together. Rosie just has definite opinions on what she likes and what she dislikes...and will not hesitate to let everyone and anyone know it. ;)

Pinkbirdy
01-24-2015, 12:49 AM
The Gw [or so I thought ] Porscha the one that was plucked I got in December. Just started growing in yellow feathers . Gws have no yellow on them :) I believe shes a Hybrid "Ruby " macaw . A mix between a Scarlet and GW. Shes much smaller than my GW Ruby . Shes totally different than her , some of her mannerisms remind me of Harlow a little bit. So this all makes sense to me now :) Ruby since she decided she likes me, is a laid back macaw. About the worst thing she does is try to maul me to get at one of my buttons . She doesnt like to be toweled. She does sound like the Gw disposition you read about. I think Gws are the goof balls of the bunch. Ive had 3 hybrids and a Blue and gold. I do see how Gws can be more layed back.

kendrafitz
01-24-2015, 01:17 AM
Terri - Oh wow! What a nice surprise! I'm so happy her feathers are growing in!

I think it is awesome that Ruby is laid back. She has really come around in the last few months. You must adore her!!

Rosie doesn't bite me to hurt, but she does pinch. That happens when she is super excited from playing or if she is trying to deter me from putting her down. But she is a vocal complainer, has always been. And she loves to destroy my clothing, like Ruby buttons especially. :)

Macaw Lover
01-24-2015, 04:01 AM
Jody is a GW and used to be a lot more protective of me (not much of a call for that these days lol), Generally she does not sound the alarm much except for the last couple/few months where she has been more vocal. A lot of it seems to be when Donovan is sounding off too I noticed. More like she is wanting him to be quiet.

Fast like a snake when at the vet. Throws herself on her back and is in attack mode and wants that blood and she does not quiet down for anything.

Likes playing the gottcha game where we give kisses to each other and tell the other gottcha and if she gives you a bite she usually says 'hurt' after because she knows what she just did.

Her place is on the left shoulder and sometimes while on an arm will lean in for some snuggles but not like Kalea or even Donovan who wants to lay across the boobs and be loved on there.

I would have to say she is her own bird. Opinionated? Maybe that would be a proper description.

She is nowhere near as playful as Kalea and I would probably have to say she would prefer to be left alone but yet at times wants to be loved on.

kendrafitz
01-26-2015, 01:42 PM
Wow, I would love to see her in attack mode! Jody sounds fiesty!! :)

Rosie will not lay down on my chest either. She is never relaxed enough. The closest we get is me standing, rocking her and Rosie putting her beak in the crook of my arm, or into my chest.

Is Donovan a hy? I ask bc it seems they like to lay on their people.