PDA

View Full Version : Well so much for having a well adjusted tiel that can handle changes

Robyn
01-21-2015, 05:24 PM
I have made a point to provide Riley deal with changes from cage design to my hair color to her schedule and even food/water dish locations. All of which she has handled very well until now. I had my nails done yesterday and I obviously wasn't thinking about Riley when I chose a beautiful butterfly/flower designed tip for them Well now Riley is acting like a completely untamed fresh from the pet store tiel. Now keep in mind this is a bird the handfeeders couldn't believe how quickly she came to me and especially that she would look me in the face as she never did that with them. This bird was also able to be handled and petted and asked for scritches on her first day home there was no adjustment period and now I can't even get her to eat her favorite treat (popcorn) from my hand. She is completely terrified of my hands now. So I get to retame/regain the trust of my previously borderline velcro bird. This is going to be fun.

spiritbird
01-21-2015, 06:32 PM
I really do not blame her. I wish nail polish was never invented. Since I stopped using it my fingernails have never been so healthy. Of course I know you did not expect this reaction from your bird. Hope you can work it out.

kendrafitz
01-21-2015, 07:36 PM
Lol, she thinks your nail art is a terribly dangerous monster. Once when I changed my hair, it took Rosie a couple days to adjust. I'm sure you won't have to regain her trust. I would be surprised if she doesn't realize the nail art isn't dangerous shortly. If not, she will surely be OK when the offending art is removed.

Bad butterflies/flowers eating Mommy's nails! :)

Robyn
01-21-2015, 08:04 PM
I really do not blame her. I wish nail polish was never invented. Since I stopped using it my fingernails have never been so healthy. Of course I know you did not expect this reaction from your bird. Hope you can work it out.

Well it's not polish it's gel (similar to having acrylic nails) with a designed tip. My natural nail on my right hand ring finger grows in a stupid way so I have to be EXTREMELY careful because if it breaks which it does often, it will only break to the center of the nail and I have to break the other half and it doesn't always break even and if I'm not careful the center of the nail will rip out all the way to the cuticle it's bad and I don't have clippers with me at work (where I normally break it) so the gel set allows me to not have to worry about breaking that stupid nail.

Robyn
01-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Lol, she thinks your nail art is a terribly dangerous monster. Once when I changed my hair, it took Rosie a couple days to adjust. I'm sure you won't have to regain her trust. I would be surprised if she see doesn't realize the nail art isn't dangerous shortly. If not, she will surely be OK when the offending art is removed.

Bad butterflies/flowers eating Mommy's nails! :)

I don't know she was pretty terrified of it last night she escaped her cage while running from my hand and so I had to chase her down and in doing so she managed to cut her self. When I finally got her back in the cage I noticed there was blood on the back of her head and in three spots on her body thankfully she stopped bleeding within 5 minutes and each spot only had a drop of blood but still.

kendrafitz
01-21-2015, 09:19 PM
Poor baby!! Those butterflies really scared her. I hope she feels better today.

Lady
01-22-2015, 01:18 AM
Aww, it is something that the slightest change we make affects them so much. I have been thinking about a new hairstyle but I'm not sure if I want to take the chance on a set back with Lady. Things like this just make me want to wait till I have a few days off in a row so she can see that everything is okay.

Robyn
01-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Well she still wont step up and for the first time (since owning her) I have actually been telling her to step up rather than just putting my hand under her and since she won't step up I can't have her out of the cage cause then I won't be able to get her back in the cage. I have been making a point of putting my nails on the outside of the cage, as close as she will let me, to get her used to them which the only time it's really a problem is when I feed her before work she freaks out a little but she has to be fed (if only she wouldn't sleep in the food dish)

Lady
01-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Maybe take her food dish out each night would help? I mostly always take Lady's out so I can prepare her food before I take her cover off in the morning. Lady doesn't step up and I think for her it's the words. If I say come on, she will get closer to my arm when I have one of her favorite treats that I'm holding on the opposite side of my arm and will get right up in order to get the treat. We are making progress in that now I am starting to lift my arm up as soon as she steps onto it. I have even kept her on long enough to take her to the playtop and tell her to get down when I got her close enough to reach it :th_biggrin:.

Robyn
01-24-2015, 10:17 PM
If I did that it would leave the round ring that holds the actual food dish which I have heard of birds breaking legs and wings on them during night frights and I definitely don't want that.

Lady
01-25-2015, 01:07 AM
Oh my, that would be dangerous! How about if you put the bowl in upside down???

Robyn
01-26-2015, 05:08 PM
these are the food dishes[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] amp-14434 I have for her I have 2 small ones one for food one to catch any leaks under her water bottle and two medium size ones one for treats and one for the attempt to get her to eat fresh foods (still not happening) you can't see it very well but the cups have a small lip to keep them on top of the holder ring so putting them up side down is really not an option as they can and will easily fall. She's just gonna have to suck it up and get used to them cause they are staying on for at least another 7 weeks (that's how long they normally stay on without a fill and I will be getting them filled next week to use up the last of the gift certificate)

Robyn
01-27-2015, 01:32 AM
Well she finally (against her will) accepted them. I came home from work and one of her eyes was shut so I did the only thing I knew to do and grabbed a warm wash cloth grabbed her and wiped her eye. It's the same eye that likes to form eye boogers cause somehow she gets these little tiny hair like feathers that grow right next to the eye and get stuck to the eye ball that end up forming the eye boogers well at first she raised a fuss then after a while she calmed down started chewing on the nails and after I got the eye cleaned up and gave her scritches which she happily accepted I put her in her cage and immediantely called the bird verd vet to set up an appointment which unforunately won't be until the 10th but now that she is ok with the nails I will be able to wipe away the eye boogers as they form like I usually do.

Lady
01-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Well it is great that she has accepted your nails, my last suggestion was to put a piece of cardboard over the dish. I hope things turn out well at the vets office, keep us posted!

Robyn
01-30-2015, 10:26 PM
I was initially concerned because the area around her eye seemed a little red and swollen but I grabbed her to look at her again yesterday and it seems fine no redness or swelling at all still taking her in though