PDA

View Full Version : how long to wait before getting another bird after one died of illness

AP16
01-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Hello, Recently i had a parakeet that passed away, and i was thinking of getting another one. however i believe that my parakeet passed away due to illness, i discovered this when i was looking in his cage after and had noticed alot of regurgitated seeds on the floor of the cage. so here is my question, should i wait a while before i get another bird to allow any viruses to die? i will clean out the cage and everything in it with a 50/50 bleach and water mix, then leave it in the sun for a few days. besides the cage, i always had my bird out in my room, it is safe to say that everything i have has been touched by him, and i rather not have to disinfect all my belongings. so what should i do? is it best to wait for everything to die? if so, how long do i wait? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

spiritbird
01-11-2015, 02:23 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. I was in the same situation as you are. My budgie died from avian gastric yeast for which one of the symptoms is the spitting out of seeds they are unable to digest any more. You would also have seen vomiting (head bobbing) quite a bit.

As for how soon to get another bird. After a good cage disinfection I got a gorgeous little Lineated Parakeet. I was in fear of getting another budgie because many of them carry yeast. It was just about 2 weeks span of time before the new one came to live with us. The cage mate of the bird that died was so lonely and depressed I did not want to wait too long. She is happy once again with another little bird in the house. Hope this helps