PDA

View Full Version : Ears ringing

josiesmom
01-09-2015, 12:30 AM
Happy new year everyone! I know I haven't posted in a while but we have been crazy busy with the holidays and birthdays. Anyway....

Since the early summer, Josie has been doing this bark that makes everyone's ears ring. It can happen 2 rooms away and I'm at a loss. We've tried whistling to try to get her to use that to 'call us back', but that seems to be an insult to her. It used to be that would do it when I left the room, now its whenever someone is talking and she doesn't want anyone else to have my attention. I can't talk to my family if I'm in the same room as her. The kids get so upset.

Does anyone else have this problem? What can we do to change this behavior?

Mare
01-09-2015, 12:38 AM
Hi, Anita :). Sounds a bit like a macaw thing? I have my own issues with the cockatoos but that's not one of them, sorry I can't help. Kendra...where are you?

Lady
01-09-2015, 01:09 AM
I did see something that Kendra wrote about Rosie screaming when she is speaking: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]!&p=51955#post51955

I hope she found a solution and can help you out.

kendrafitz
01-09-2015, 03:11 AM
Hi Anita - I wish I could offer some help. If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone. I am right there with you.

Rosie yells when I leave her line of vision. The last week or so she had been screaming whenever I speak to anyone that is not her. She had learned when she screams Jef and the kids leave, so from her point of view it is a great solution.

The other day my daughter was in tears about something that happened at school and Rosie started in. Would not stop. I was at my wits end, so I told her she was going for a time out. Put her in her cage and we went to my room and shut the door. She screamed a few more times but stopped when she got no reaction.

I think that no reaction is best. She stops fairly quickly if I am able to ignore her. If anyone else is home though, it just doesn't happen. They either yell at me or her and she gets a reaction. Sadly, I get the most done out of her eyesight and am most relaxed when my husband is away and the kids are at school. Then she can scream for a minute or two and gives up and no-one is mad. If you are able to ignore it, it will help. Also, I tell her how awesome she is when she talks nicely to get my attention.

I hope you get some relief soon. I know how stressful and deafening it can be.

Cedardave
01-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Ahhh...the glorious macaw.We have 10 of them here...what? They scream when they are happy...they scream when they want something.They scream because they have some extra energy.In short, they scream in captivity and they scream in the wild.If you want a macaw that doesn't scream, Walmart sells battery operated ones that don't,otherwise it's just who they are.A quiet macaw is very similar to a quiet cockatoo.They live with the ever elusive unicorn.So my advise is to embrace the scream....one point of fact is not to compete with them.Here my son always starts talking louder when our guys get noisy.I think they see this as a challenge so up goes their volume.They always win.They will usually quiet when distracted and at least here the noise is short term.Guests in the house always cause excitement and lots of noise.Im sure I've been no help at all.?..but imagine how sad it would be if the noise all stopped.

PlaxMacaws
01-10-2015, 12:43 AM
Perhaps no help as far as Anita's concerns, Dave.... but, as usual, you have summarized reality quite well. May the glorious Macaw noise in my home live on and on!!! Expecting wild jungle creatures -which is what these guys actually are- not to scream regularly is at best a tall order! Some of us, however, may find various ways to mitigate the frequency and/or the intensity of such scream sessions. I've found one of the best ways for my situation is to try and keep my guys from becoming bored. That's pretty hard at times though since they all seem to have ADHD ;)

Pinkbirdy
01-11-2015, 02:21 AM
I know what your talking about :) Its fine when the kids are in the birdroom talking . But if they come in and needed to tell me something . Its like the birds sense a change in the energy [and its a good time to do bird calls].We are so in tune to the birds . That we just leave the room and say what we need to say [and they stop ] . We know we cant change them I make phone calls upstairs or out side. I swear they see a phone and think they must yell too . But I like my loud birds [its a sign of health :)]

josiesmom
01-11-2015, 03:04 AM
I know that noise is good but I have hearing issues to start and her making my ears ring like this is really causing anxiety for me. I don't wear my hearing aid at home because of her barking and in turn, I can't hear half of what my family is saying. We wouldn't trade her for anything, but we would really like to find a way to just stop the barking....screaming and carrying on is expected but the pitch she hits with this bark causes my heart to race.

Pinkbirdy
01-11-2015, 04:07 AM
From what I remember shes very bonded to you . So I think its a jealousy thing when the rest of your family approaches you. I bet that's when shes loud . Ive had 3 screaming Toos :) What we do is have them on a routine and my girls and Dave make a big effort to have a relationship with them . We take them out and when the bonded person has them . We all hoot and holler and make a HUGE deal about them . Always acknowledge them ,give them treats . Over time the birds are looking for the other family members attention.This has worked for us .The Toos needed to know everyone really likes them. :)

PlaxMacaws
01-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Anita: I think Terri has offered some good advice. And if you've not already attempted it, you might have each member of your family regularly spend quality time with Josie while all other family members are out of sight. That may inspire her to forge a bond relationship with each of them as well. If Josie begins viewing the others in your home as close friends rather than competitors for your attention (assuming that's what's going on), she may begin to accept their interactions with you noticeably better. That could diminish her inclination to become agitated and irritatingly vocal when she's not receiving direct attention from you.