PDA

View Full Version : Hi there :)

nataiani
01-07-2015, 08:10 PM
Hello, my name is Sarah. :) I have been doing some research on and off for the last year about a parrot. I would like to have one, but don't want to rush into it. There are two types of parrot I'm interested in. The eclectus and the Indian ring neck. I have had budgies and cockatiel before, but have never had a parrot. So I was hoping someone here could help me out. Which parrot would be good for someone who has never had a large bird before? I'm leaning towards the eclectus cause I've read they are not screamers like some parrots and also because ring necks go through a bluffing phase that can be difficult to handle. What do you guys think? It will still be a good long while before I even start looking for a breeder to buy one as I still need to get everything a parrot will need and find a good avian vet. I would like suggestions and good sites to do more research. Thank you!

kendrafitz
01-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Hi Sarah!!

Good for you for doing your research!!

I have a GW macaw and have not had any other parrots. So I can't tell you a whole lot about the others. There are some members here who do know about both. I have had the pleasure of handling both birds you are interested in though. They are both awesome!

I am partial to a male eclectus, they are one of my wish list birds. So sweet. There was a female (who was boarding) that used to stalk Rosie when she was a baby at the store. She was a handful and very outgoing. She would yell at her mate, let herself out of her cage and then go to the top of Rosies cage and yell at her. She was a funny girl.

As far as I know, most parrots will lunge/bluff if they think they can get away with it. It is a fun game for them to play make the dopey human jump. As long as you aren't afraid and teach them that's not nice, it shouldn't be too bad. But I could be wrong as Rosie is my only true experience.

I look forward to reading about what you decide.

Mare
01-07-2015, 11:29 PM
Hi, Sarah :)

I've absolutely no experience with Eclectus or the Indian Ringneck but what I know of them..it was all positive. My first bird was an Umbella cockatoo, don't recommend them but he is NOW, many years later, the best companion bird I could ever ask for..live and learn :). Your best approach to finding a bird may be, let them pick you.

Lady
01-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Hi Sarah, :th_welcome2:to the most wonderful parrot forum on the planet~

Those sound like two great bird species to consider sharing your life with! Have you thought about going to visit a breeder and see what they are like face to beak. Nothing is more awesome to be right there with them, to be in their presence and see how they act right in front of you. It helps to get a look at their size and needs as well as all the research you have been doing. There are so very many who need homes that are sitting at a rescue just waiting for their forever Mommy and/or Daddy to walk in and find them.

I wish you the best in finding the right bird to fit into your family~

Cedardave
01-08-2015, 12:54 AM
I have no experience with the ring neck......which I find hard to believe.However I do with the Eclectus.I think they are wonderful.I must disagree with the screaming part as ours loves her voice.I believe them to be more capable of mimic and very close to an African grey intelligence wise.Ours says thank you after being fed.I suggest the Eclectus is your best choice, however other opinions will differ.