PDA

View Full Version : Danger Posed by Fibrous Materials (from toys, rope perches, huts, blankets, etc.)

PlaxMacaws
01-05-2015, 05:20 PM
This warning is from a Facebook post. It highlights the risk of 'fiber globs' (cropoliths) developing over time. They can cause severe complications and even become fatal.

While I was at the vet, the nurse showed me some of the impactions that had been cut out of birds' crops. All from rope and fabric toys including sisal and Seagrass fibres! How scary !!! She showed me some of the toys that were the culprits. Some of them had absolutely no obvious evidence of chewing! Some people gave their birds those dried skin/ meat dog toys that ended up killing the birds. she said the only truly safe "rope" was naturally tanned leather or stainless steel chain).

From: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

I've previously posted a warning on this topic at:
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
01-05-2015, 07:26 PM
OMG! Another problem for caged birds arises. What is the answer?

PlaxMacaws
01-05-2015, 10:27 PM
OMG! Another problem for caged birds arises. What is the answer?Well, according to the quoted vet, the only safe solution is to use tanned leather or stainless steel chain. And then, of course, it's crucially important to make certain that the exposed lengths are never long enough to wrap around the bird's neck.

jtbirds
01-06-2015, 01:31 AM
I'd suggest stainless steel chain as leather I can't imagine is much better for birds and or for the animals its harvested from.

94lt1
01-06-2015, 01:45 AM
I'm always trying to be cautious with this.. Since Rain is a shredder.. Rice paper was suggested to me.. But I'm not sure how safe that is.. I should ask my vet..

Mare
01-06-2015, 02:20 AM
Sassy is a shredder, also. If I use a paper plate with something good like peanut butter and jelly slopped on it, I roll it up, fold in half and slide through Sassy's bars. Keeps her busy for hours. Has anyone heard of that being a bad thing?

PlaxMacaws
01-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Sassy is a shredder, also. If I use a paper plate with something good like peanut butter and jelly slopped on it, I roll it up, fold in half and slide through Sassy's bars. Keeps her busy for hours. Has anyone heard of that being a bad thing?Paper consists of fibers. If she's ingesting it, it's not a good thing :(

spiritbird
01-06-2015, 02:16 PM
I just replaced a partially torn bungee rope and the sleep hut with lots of fuzzes. Also the swings in the budgie cage have metal hangers and I noticed some small areas beginning to rust. Not all items meant for bird cages are safe. Thanks for this graphic posting Tony. It sure is a wake up call.