PDA

View Full Version : Do Companion Birds Really Need An Annual Check UP?

spiritbird
01-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Do you take your bird to an avian vet for a yearly check up? If you do why? If you do not why?

2birds
01-03-2015, 04:56 PM
I do with the expectation that everything is going to be good but you never know what might be lurking.

Casper's 2nd best friend
01-03-2015, 05:32 PM
We get our local avian vet to trim Casper's beak when it needs doing so he gets a checkover then a couple of times a year. We can do his nails but his previous owner let his beak get far too long so its very easy to make it bleed. The vet usually puts him under for five minutes so he can do it without a struggle.
At the moment he is in rude health, just suffering from a shortage of tail feathers (they don't seem in any hurry to grow) and a grey head (from rummaging around under newspapers).

kendrafitz
01-04-2015, 04:29 PM
I am so glad I saw this. It reminded me that we are overdue for Rosie's visit!!

We go, but really only because I was told we are supposed to. I hate bringing her. They towel her and it completely stresses her out. We will only see one vet, not all avian vets are the same. Which I learned the hard way. Her regular vet was out and I brought her in for a medical issue and saw the other avian vet. What a mess. She was terrified of Rosie, couldn't towel her and was afraid to touch her. After almost an hour of her coming in, walking out, getting her courage up and coming back in only to leave, I left. Poor Rosie was a panting mess and was crying baby cries. I was so upset, especially since I asked if she was comfortable with Big Macs and was assured she was. Insane. Lesson learned.