PDA

View Full Version : And So It Continues.....................

spiritbird
12-15-2014, 08:35 PM
I had 2 very good weeks with Chipper. Since that time he has gone down hill with vomiting quite often. Obviously, the AGY has not resolved. I am waiting for my vet to call me back now because I want to discuss stopping treatment as in birdie hospice. If the recommended treatments and the other ones I tried on my own have not worked in 3 months time why put him through it over and over again. I know there are members that will not agree with this but before you make any judgments walk in my shoes as they say. If you have any words of encouragement I would love to read them. thanks all

Lady
12-15-2014, 11:25 PM
Dianne,
You have to go with your heart! We all know that is hard to make such decisions but we do what we feel is right. I will continue to pray and know that you will make the right decisions for all of you.

kendrafitz
12-16-2014, 01:04 AM
Oh no. I was so hoping for you both that he would continue getting better. I can understand why you feel the way you do. I'm so sorry that you are going through this.

Mare
12-16-2014, 03:32 AM
Aww..I'm sorry to hear of the continued heartache you are going through with little Chipper. I agree with you, if the treatments are continually hard on him, give it a rest, give him a break. Hugs..

PlaxMacaws
12-16-2014, 04:04 AM
You and Chipper have my heartfelt sympathy, Dianne :'(. I know decisions like this are excruciatingly difficult :(

From what I've read about cases of AGY, the victim birds often go through periods where their symptoms seemingly vanish... only to begin appearing ill again thereafter. So sadly, that seems to be what's going on with Chipper :(. One factor I would consider, however, are the enjoyments he still seems to get from life. From what I've gathered watching your video clips, Chipper does experience pleasures and periods of enjoyment during which he's talking up a storm and flying around gleefully. Now I understand that the poor little guy has to be feeling pretty bad when his symptoms start hitting him hard. But the joys in life that he gets to experience each time those symptoms drop away are certainly worth taking into account. You would know best, though, since Chipper is your companion, Dianne.

Those are some of my thoughts at the moment, for what they may be worth.

Animalman2046
12-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Dianne I am so sorry for what you are going through with Chipper. I know how much you love him and all your babies and I know how hard this is to do but I totally agree with you 100%. You have done all there is to do and then some more. No one can say you didn't try your hardest. I know better than that. You have my full support and I am here for you if you need. My prayers and hugs are with you and Chipper. It is so hard to let go but there comes a time when we all must.......Chipper deserves to be pain free and rest. He will always be in your heart!

spiritbird
12-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Tony you are so right.
As long as he has good days I am happy and so is he. it seems to be a see saw disease.

Cedardave
12-16-2014, 04:52 PM
It's sad when our little ones become afflicted with such things.The important thing to me is to balance quality of life.If little Chipper has more good days than bad it may be there is still a reasonable quality of life.If there are ways of keeping him comfortable during the bad days,then there is still quality of life.If his days are full of pain and discomfort than the sad time may me upon you.Remember a single life happens only a single time.....but the memories last always.You have to look inside yourself and decide what needs to be done...often nature makes the choice for us when the time arrives...but it's never easy.Realize whatever the course it's the way it must be,
All our best

froggij
12-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Dianne, I'm so sorry to hear all of this. I was definitely pulling for you and Chip to have a very long, great, healthy time together after he'd recovered from this. I understand the decision - and I know just how hard it can be, but sometimes you have to determine the cost of his suffering against every other piece of the situation, and decide when enough is enough. I'll pray for many more good days for you, and Ron is right - nobody can ever say that you didn't try. I am sorry it has come to that decision for you. Lots of love and birdy hugs from me and my flock to you and yours.

spiritbird
12-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Chipper continues to be ill from the yeast. I just got him a heated perch and will put that in the cage today. I am giving him potassium benzoate in the drinking water. Myself and my friends keep praying for a miracle. Tis the season! He is sitting in the cage all fluffed up. It is so hard for me to let go of my little soul mate.

jtbirds
12-21-2014, 02:45 PM
I am very sorry that you are going through this struggle with the little dude.. I agree with what you have stated and see a lot of great qualities in it! goodluck I hope much positive energy goes his way.

kendrafitz
12-21-2014, 08:52 PM
I hope that he loves his new perch. He is such a sweet boy.

Lady
12-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Will continue praying for him and you. Miracles do happen, I believe. :toyou:

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-22-2014, 01:18 PM
I read somewhere that before giving someone advice you should always walk a mile in their shoes, that way you are a mile away - and you've got their shoes!
So I am not give any advice, I don't have the knowledge anyway, but I will wish you both the best and from what I read you are doing what I would probably do.
So good luck to you both, we are thinking of you.
Jean-Pierre

PlaxMacaws
12-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Life can be so heart-crushingly unfair, Dianne :'( I'm so hoping that you and Chipper will somehow receive your miracle...