PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bonnet Plucking and Biting Itself

Macka
12-10-2014, 03:51 AM
Our pet Blue Bonnet started plucking the feathers on its back a while ago. To stop it doing this we put on an e-collar (which it did not like). When we took the collar off, it started plucking again and chewing itself vigorously, sometimes drawing blood. My mum does not want to take it to the vet as she believes that it will die from the stress. Is there anything I can do to help our bird?
Here are some photos of the bird chewing and with blood on its beak:

PlaxMacaws
12-10-2014, 04:25 AM
Hello Tim... How long have you had the Blue Bonnet and how long has he/she been housed with your cockatiel? Do both birds spend all of their time inside of the cage? Or are they allowed out-of-cage time?

Please be mindful that with a raw wound like this your bird is vulnerable to infection. Therefore I would recommend an avian vet visit very soon. Beyond that, you need to determine whether the plucking/mutilation is the result of an underlying skin condition or a parasitic inflammation, or whether it's merely a neurotic behavior. Only a vet can rule out the underlying skin condition and identify the parasites if that's what it turns out to be. And only a vet can prescribe effective treatments for those conditions should it be necessary.

If you take your bird to a vet, please try and be sure that it's an avian vet. They are best qualified and equipped to deal with companion parrots. As for stress concerns, birds go to veterinarians every day and very few of them die from stress. A good avian vet will know how to make the session as non-stressful as possible for your bird.

Macka
12-10-2014, 07:15 AM
We raised the Blue Bonnet as its parents kicked it out of the nest during a big storm and it has been in the cage with the cockatiel for most of its life (we put it in the cage when it was big enough). They get let out of the cage every 2 days. We first noticed the plucking when my brother left home (the bird always used to sit on him whenever it was out of the cage), so that might be the reason it started, but it keeps doing it when he visits so it might not be the case.

Macka
12-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Also it does not like being held and bites really hard.

PlaxMacaws
12-10-2014, 09:00 AM
We raised the Blue Bonnet as its parents kicked it out of the nest during a big storm and it has been in the cage with the cockatiel for most of its life (we put it in the cage when it was big enough). They get let out of the cage every 2 days. We first noticed the plucking when my brother left home (the bird always used to sit on him whenever it was out of the cage), so that might be the reason it started, but it keeps doing it when he visits so it might not be the case.Out of its nest? I take it you live in Australia then?

The persistent mutilation may still be a result of your brother leaving home. Once a bird begins plucking its feathers it can be extremely difficult (in many cases even impossible) to get it to stop. If your bird developed a bond with your brother then his departure could well have triggered its self-mutilation. The fact that it continues to self-mutilate when he returns may merely mean that your bird is generally not happy now.

That said, it is still advisable to take your bird to an avian veterinarian in order to rule out other conditions and to get some advice on properly dealing with the wound and perhaps acquire some antibiotic. I would recommend tending to your bird's medical assessment needs ahead of all else and then consider restructuring the interaction it receives from you and your family.

Parrots require lots of interaction from the humans who care for them. They certainly need to feel loved and appreciated. Sadly, when those needs are not met they may become depressed and thus various neuroses may develop (such as feather plucking or barbering). Sometimes all it takes to trigger a life-long affliction of feather plucking is a chosen family member leaving home.

Diet is also quite important. Your Blue Bonnet parrot should receive plenty of vegetables as well as some fruit on a daily basis - a strictly seed diet will be detrimental. Nutrition is essential, as it factors directly into a pet bird's physical and emotional well-being. But again, I would get your bird to an avian vet for proper assessment/treatment of the wound as soon as you can.

Macka
12-10-2014, 09:32 AM
I talk to and play with the bird at all opportunities. And it acts really happy, and it doesn't seem sad even when it is chewing on itself (it always wagging its tail and talking to people). It does get vegetables every now and then. I think that its tail also turned partially yellow before it started plucking the first time.

PlaxMacaws
12-10-2014, 12:41 PM
I talk to and play with the bird at all opportunities. And it acts really happy, and it doesn't seem sad even when it is chewing on itself (it always wagging its tail and talking to people). It does get vegetables every now and then. I think that its tail also turned partially yellow before it started plucking the first time.I see. I think you should get him in to an avian veterinarian as soon as possible. Also, I would place several more toys in his cage to help break any boredom he may be feeling. Wooden toys that he can tear apart may help distract him from tearing himself apart. Parrots like to have fun and breaking things apart is typically quite fun for them.

Please keep us updated on his condition.

spiritbird
12-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Welcome Tim. You can learn many things here about good care of your birds. From what you described this bird you call Blue Bonnet badly needs to see an avian vet because he is mutilating the skin. If this continues the bird will eventually get infections. I also suggest you separate the two birds if you can get a second cage. Do you give them baths on a routine basis? Have you checked your birds for mites? That makes them itch. There are many internet sites where you can find information on bird care and plucking issues. The things we look at are housing, diet and overall health. All pet birds should be taken for an exam by a vet at least once per year. Do you have a carrier? Covering the carrier during transport can help to decrease the stress. Please try to educate your Mom on how important this vet visit is. Please do your research on care of birds. They need food - every day. A nice seed blend, no peanuts at all, the healthy nuts are almonds and walnuts, pine and pecans if you have them. No sunflower seeds because they are too high in fat. Nice green and yellow veggies are very important. Natural sunlight or full spectrum lighting helps so much. Fresh water twice a day or more if they dirty the water. Keep the cage very clean. Read up on mites as there are several things that can be done for them. They are very tiny and hard to see. You can make a spray from aloe and water to help relieve any itching or pain. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] One other item for you. Companion birds need a good quality sleep of 10 to 12 hours per night. No human noises in the background. Good luck and yes please keep us updated on your progress. Suggest you let your Mom read these postings.

spiritbird
12-11-2014, 12:36 AM
Macka Are you there? I had hoped to stay in touch with you and I know others do too.

Mare
12-11-2014, 01:12 AM
This makes me sad. Tony and Dianne, you've given great advice. Tim may not be able to afford a vet visit or he may be too young. I hope he doesn't give up trying to help the bird :(

PlaxMacaws
12-11-2014, 01:24 AM
Mare and Dianne... lets wait and give Tim a chance to reply. I believe he lives in Australia, since Blue Bonnet Parrots originate from there and he indicated that his bird was purged from its nest by its parents during a storm when it was very young. There's quite a time difference between here and 'down under', so perhaps that and Tim's schedule restrict when he can be online :)

Macka
12-11-2014, 02:16 AM
Ok, thankyou for that advice. We don't have a second cage, they get baths quite a lot and he normally bathes in his drinking water instead of the bath (we replace the water afterwards and there is a separate drinking thing). Last time they had mites we sprayed them with a mite thing and wasnt allowed to play with them for about a week or more and it made them lose trust in us quite a bit (we are slowly gaining the trust back, he never used to let anyone but Andrew go near him now he hops on my shoulder and lets me scritch him). We don't have a carrier and the birds have never been taken to a vet (my mum doesnt want to because our local vet killed my grandma's cockatoo and is terrible with animals and the closest good vet is about an hour away). They get veggies a lot but they also get a lot of sunflower seeds. And they alway get a good nights sleep, they have a cage cover and they normally get to sleep around 8-9pm.

Macka
12-11-2014, 02:19 AM
And yes, I live in Australia and only just woke up.

PlaxMacaws
12-11-2014, 04:52 AM
Tim: One hour's drive sounds quite reasonable for access to a quality avian veterinarian when in the midst of an urgent situation. From your description and the photos you've provided, I consider your bird's situation fairly urgent! That's because his/her constantly assaulted open wound stands a good chance of becoming infected at some point. Believe me, I've had my share of horrific vet experiences due to incompetency on a vet's part... so I can easily understand your feeling about the local vet being terrible with animals and killing your grandmother's cockatoo - I'm very sorry to hear about that, by the way. I think an appointment with a good avian vet would be a wise decision in your case. Hopefully you can arrange some form of adequate transport.

About your bird's diet... sunflower seeds as a main staple are a bad idea. Avian vets and nutrition experts around the world agree that, depending upon species, a diet high in sunflower seeds may promote various potentially fatal conditions (such as fatty liver disease). It would be advisable for you to consider converting to a quality pelleted parrot diet to avoid serious health problems down the road.

Macka
12-11-2014, 05:52 AM
His diet is not mainly sunflower seeds, we have a birdseed mix with a variety of seeds and it has sunflower seeds in it. He also gets them as treats.
One of the main concerns is the actual catching it in order to take it to the vet. It gets very traumatised whenever a hand goes into its cage and it gets stressed and bites very hard. Is there an easy way of catching it?

PlaxMacaws
12-11-2014, 06:26 PM
His diet is not mainly sunflower seeds, we have a birdseed mix with a variety of seeds and it has sunflower seeds in it. He also gets them as treats.Okay. You wrote that they "get a lot of sunflower seeds" ...so it sounded as if that was their main base food. Adding fortified pellets to their diet would fill in some of the nutritional gaps and thus enhance their immune systems.

One of the main concerns is the actual catching it in order to take it to the vet. It gets very traumatised whenever a hand goes into its cage and it gets stressed and bites very hard. Is there an easy way of catching it?You've mentioned that he is permitted to come out of the cage every couple of days and that he hops on your shoulder and lets you scritch him. How do you get him out of the cage? And, especially, how do you get him up on your shoulder and then back into the cage? If you can find or borrow a pet carrier, then a brief and deliberate action placing him inside of it would be all that's necessary. You can cover and wrap him with a towel very quickly to protect yourself and him for this purpose. The vet clinic personnel will deal with removing and subduing him once he arrives. They will then place him back into the carrier for you once the session has finished.

Macka
12-12-2014, 06:30 AM
He flies out of the cage and sometimes lands on our shoulder. And when he is ready for bed he will fly to the cage and then hop in (there is a perch thing on the door to help them get back in).