PDA

View Full Version : What kind of GCC is this baby?

CrazyBirdLady
04-30-2013, 03:31 PM
There is a local mom and pop pet store in my town and they have this adorable little one. They do a decent job. They care about the animals even if they are a little uneducated. Better than many I have seen! She/he is incredibly shy and standoffish; however after lots of visits and time spent talking to her she has started to trust me. She rushes to me when I come in and now even puts her little pinnie head up against the cage bars for me to pet her. The store staff really want me to get her because I am the only one she has warmed up to. I tried to tell them that it is just because I spent time with her. I am REALLY trying to fight the temptation, but find myself going in there frequently to see if she is still there. I really hope she finds a great home soon, not sure how much longer I can fight it and I really don't want to add to my flock right now.

Anyway, as to my question, I asked if she is cinnamon or pineapple and they said both! Is that even possible? I am thinking pineapple? Here she is. (Gender is unknown, I just tend to think of birds as female because I have so many girls).

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

94lt1
04-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Idk.. Looks like it could be a pineapple.. Our new adopted bird is a cinnamon and only has red on her belly...

She too is shy and standoffish..

mistywaterwoman
04-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Whatever she is, she's gorgeous!! Snap her up!! ;)

CrazyBirdLady
04-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Idk.. Looks like it could be a pineapple.. Our new adopted bird is a cinnamon and only has red on her belly...

She too is shy and standoffish..

What a cutie!

Whatever she is, she's gorgeous!! Snap her up!! ;)

Nooo, don't encourage me lol!

SharonC
04-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Ask yourself this....If you go tomorrow, and she is gone, will you be disappointed or relieved? The answer to this question will let you know whether you should get her, or not.

CrazyBirdLady
04-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Ask yourself this....If you go tomorrow, and she is gone, will you be disappointed or relieved? The answer to this question will let you know whether you should get her, or not.

Very good question! I would be both, but I think overall more relieved. And you are right, that does make me feel better about it. I hope she gets a loving home soon!

roxynoodle
04-30-2013, 10:18 PM
I think she's a pineapple. I know how you feel, I met the sweetest little GCC a couple of weeks ago who just kept shoving his or her little head into my hand to be petted. I resisted the temptation as I feel pretty maxed out with my 3 birds, the new dog, the cat and the horses.

If you don't get her I also hope she finds a good home.

mistywaterwoman
05-02-2013, 05:21 PM
It IS possible that she is both! I was just talking to a friend of mine that breeds birds, and he just got in two baby pineapples and a baby cinnamon/pineapple. :o

Oh gosh, now I am going to be all kinds of tempted by the pineapples, lol....

mistywaterwoman
05-04-2013, 04:21 PM
OK, upon further research, I think there is a little confusion... found this on Wiki this morning on the GCC page:

Colour mutations:
In addition to the natural color forms, color mutants have been selectively bred in aviculture:

* Cinnamon are lime green and have a lighter, almost pale color to the feathers. The head is tan and the tail feathers are a lighter maroon than in normal green-cheeked conures.
* Yellow-sided have a breast of bright colors.
* Pineapple is cinnamon and yellow-sided combination. They have a breast of bright colors, a tan head and lime green feathers on the back like a cinnamon green-cheeked conure. The tail feathers are the same as a yellow-sided, showing a halo effect.
* Turquoise have a body with some blue-green and green feathers. The breast feathers are grayish and the tail feathers are gray.

roxynoodle
05-04-2013, 04:27 PM
But, there are also yellow sided turquoise and now "sun cheeks", too, lol! There might be more but I've lost track!

mistywaterwoman
05-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Well, people will keep mixing mutations. :P

keepsmiling
05-04-2013, 08:38 PM
I would be nervous about buying a bird that came from two mutated parents. I know with parrotlets it shortens the babies lives. Like with the blues, you never breed blue to blue. You always breed back to a normal. There are only one or two double harlequin macaws that made it past a few months as well.

mistywaterwoman
05-04-2013, 08:45 PM
That's interesting Carole, because we have that problem with chinchilla mutations as well. You always want to breed a mutation color to a pure standard, to get the best genetic results.

keepsmiling
05-04-2013, 10:21 PM
My friend is very knowledgeable with the birds, and we have discussed this many times. It causes an inverted chromosome I think she said. It can cause many weaknesses, auto immune, and organ misfunctions, to name a few things. The same happens with overbred budgies, but you get the mopsy or gee..can't remember the nickname, but the bird has way too many feathers. They do not live long either.

Shellybean
05-05-2013, 01:26 AM
Looks like a pineapple she just doesn't show as much of the red up the chest as most pineapples but her sides are very yellow and she has some red on her face so I would go with pineapple . . . maybe a more dilute version. I used to have a cinnamon and she had very very little red on her breast and her colors were more muted.

CrazyBirdLady
05-18-2013, 10:20 AM
So, this little one is STILL at the pet store. I was on my way home, avoiding going to the place, and I just had to turn around and go. At first I thought she was gone, but she was just moved. She came running up to me and put her little head against the bars for me to pet. I haven't been there in two weeks and she still remembers me. I really want to take this little one home. I think we already have the start of a great bond. She has been there for so long. *sigh*

aliray
05-18-2013, 04:28 PM
So what have you decided? HEHE

CrazyBirdLady
05-19-2013, 02:42 AM
I am still resisting. I need to just stop going there. When I see the little one I want to take her home so much, but when I leave reality kicks in and I know the timing isn't right to add another bird.

Pinkbirdy
05-19-2013, 03:30 AM
Crazybirdlady, I was doing the exact same thing . This yellow sided greencheek got my attention . The first time I was there he hopped down to come see me . So I went back [the 2nd time ] he saw me started bobbing and hopped down to see me. I of course started thinking [I had to get this bird] being a crazybird lady myself LOL. I kept going to see him [thinking theres no way he will recognize me each time ] he did.The last time I went [I thought] if acts the same way im getting him !! Ive had him now 2 weeks :) .