PDA

View Full Version : Where Are Your Bird Cages Located?

kendrafitz
11-24-2014, 06:10 PM
I remember hounding every employee with tons of questions when Rosie was still being handfed at the bird store. One of my big questions was, where do I put her cage? I was thinking of putting her cage in our finished basement since she would just be there at night to sleep and I didn't want us to disturb her. Every person I asked said, sure, I guess that would be ok. FINALLY, one of the guys who I was following around asking tons of questions said, you know, I don't think that is a good idea. He then got the woman who managed the store and was hand feeding Rosie to come see me in the family room of the store. She looked extremely worried and asked, what is this I hear about you keeping Rosie in the basement? She sounded horrified and I was completely confused. Not knowing the horror stories of ignored birds locked in basements, garages and closets. Just thinking the area would be her night sleep cage as she would be with me all day. But, I am so grateful that SOMEONE finally explained cage placement to me and how important it is, instead of just yessing the dumb parrot newby. I swear, I was worried they were not going to let me bring Rosie home. I actually took a picture of her cage set up to show the woman before I brought Rosie home. But I am happy she cared enough about Rosie to make sure she had a happy place. :)

It was explained to me that to be happy and feel like part of the flock, it is a good idea to have a parrots cage somewhere central, but not where foot traffic is going by very often. The home for Rosie's cage is in the dining room (which is really just her room, b/c honestly, who wants to eat next to a huge parrot cage?). She can see the front door, look out front and back windows and see into the kitchen and family room all from her perch. I even put a tv in our formal living room so she can have something to watch when I am out. The only thing she can't see well on the first floor is the powder room (and she is not happy about that).

Where does everyone have their cages?

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

froggij
11-24-2014, 08:21 PM
My Rosie is in the little "breakfast nook" of our kitchen/dining area in my apartment. She loves it there, though she tries to actively critique my dishwashing skills (i.e. screams whenever I turn the water on), and I want to move her into the living area. Dori is on one side of the living area away from all of the vents, and she loves it there. She's semi-near the front door and can see who comes in and out - Rosie can hear the front door from where she's at and greets everyone from her bird nook. Orsino I actually keep in the bedroom - well, his cage at least, he's often out and/or on me. He and I have always been roommates, since the first time we met, and I see no reason to change that. We do well together. Neither of us is a morning person, he sleeps quietly (unlike the other two), and some nights he likes staying up late to read with me so I can put him away without disturbing the others.

Casper's 2nd best friend
11-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Casper's home is in the lounge, in the summer its by the window but as soon as the weather turns we have to move all the furniture around and put it in the opposite corner away from the inglenook fire. I'm sure roast parrot would taste very nice but it would be a shame to have to eat such a good friend.

spiritbird
11-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Nice cage and placement. I only have 2 rooms so cage is in living room.

Macaw Lover
11-25-2014, 07:51 PM
I have a tri-level home and The Girls' room is what everyone else would call a family room. They can see me in the kitchen which is up 5 stairs as there is no solid wall between the two rooms.

When Donovan came here I used an upstairs bedroom as a QT room but soon learned that Kalea was afraid of him since he was bigger than her and if they were both on me, when he strikes out with his beak which he does too often, I knew she would have issues with him being there in the same room. He has gotten better with hitting with his beak but still.....

The Girls' room has 2 large windows and Kalea screams at bugs flying past I think sometimes. Since I work all day from home on the computer, I am in the room next to his and so I can talk to him and give him one-on-one attention too. Another reason that I decided not to move his condo downstairs in The Girls' room is that he does not like it if you pick up and/or move anything. He still will scream if I pull the garbage bag but it has gotten a little better. Walking with a box in your hands will set him off as well as moving much of anything.

This morning I needed to set up a water bottle onto his cage as I might not come home on Turkey Day and wanted to set up the holder for the bottle. Donovan was on my shoulder and I had picked up the small box which was on the floor and then dumped out the holder pieces on the floor. Poor Donovan freaked out with just that, flew to the shelf, got scared then flew to the top of his cage. I let him be up there while I was trying to put the simple thing together and when I finally got it correct6ly put together I went to put it onto the cage and by that time he was ok and came to sit on my shoulder to see what I was doing. With him, he does not like much changes as it freaks him out. I think the house he came from had too much activity going on, and I question if the 3 children had a lot of friends over who might have been too noisy, active, or just plain surrounding him and he was uncomfortable and had to be defensive with all of it.

I had it planned out how to set up the 3 large cages in that room along with the Jumbo Atom and manzanita stand that is suspended from the ceiling but tomorrow a Java tree is being shipped out as Kalea has been standing up to Jody more here lately and not just letting Jody walk all over her so I can no longer put them on the same thing and since Kalea has pulled Donovan's tail feathers a couple of times now, one had a 90 degree bend in the tail 8 inches up, I can't allow those two to be on the same thing playing either.

I still have the living room available for a couple more cages and stands :th_hehe:

kendrafitz
11-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Renee - Oh, wow!! Poor Donovan! It must be hard to be so sensitive to change.

I can't remember, what type of macaws are Donovan, Kalea and Jody? They sound awesome, just like having a room full of preschoolers! Can Donovan and Jody be together, or does everyone need their own play space?

I love the idea of a jumbo atom. Do your girls and guy like it? Also, do you remember where you purchased it?

So many questions, sorry about that!!

Robyn
11-26-2014, 03:58 AM
Riley is in the center of the living room

Macaw Lover
11-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Jody and Kalea could be together in the past because Kalea would stay out of beak's range but now that she is standing up for herself, they need to be separated. Donovan is more aggressive who will strike out hard with his beak while giving a scream and he is bigger and much more powerful than Jody and Kalea and those two would come out on the losing end of anything.

I usually don't have Donovan and Jody on me at the same time as Jody is not much of a bird who moves around a lot. She does her climbing on the cage and stuff like that but if she comes onto my arm or hand she does not really grip it with her feet like other birds do, she is just sort of on it. So this one time she was sitting on my left leg while I am sitting and Donovan was on my right leg. Donovan hit Jody with his beak and then went up onto my right shoulder. Something silently must have gone on between the two of them because Donovan goes very slowly from that shoulder, across the back of my neck to my left shoulder and goes half way down my arm and very gently touches Jody's beak, like he was apologizing for what he did. Think of a bull in a china store, that would be Donovan.

Before Donovan came here I knew his history of really nasty bites and I thought about it and committed myself to taking him. For good times (kisses) and bad (bites) he is here for good. I know I always have to be watchful with him because things can easily trigger him to do his scream and beak hit or the bite. Yesterday taught me for sure, he does not like too much action around him. He was bing a stinker again, not wanting to come out of his condo (at the cost of SS those are condos and not just a 'cage') but he was standing on the perch and since he was just such a sweet little boy the night before I thought what if I pushed the envelop a notch further and see if I could not sort of scoop him up with both hands while he was facing towards me. No go, he was ok with my right hand coming to his foot but when he saw the left hand coming too, he went to do a bite and caught my palm just below the second joint of the thumb. Just a little mark, not like the first time he nailed me when he bit and the tip of his beak popped through the soft skin part of the palm between the thumb and forefinger called 'No man's land'. Scary when you hear that pop and boy did that one hurt.

All three love the Jumbo Atom, especially Jody. I bought a second one from Mother Pluckin Bird Toys and when the Java tree comes I will figure where to hang it as there is a florescent fixture on the ceiling there. On another site Michelle (owner) announced a Cyber Sale of 20% off all toys, kits, and parts. She said at some time later they will have a sale on the rope stuff but I would not put those things too far down on your 'I'll get one someday list' because of the fact her hubby is the one who makes them and has a diagnosis of MS and that is not something that will get better. IF they can ever find someone to make them to their standards eventually, Michelle knows they will have to raise the price too. They are expensive but worth every penny.

Mare
11-26-2014, 04:40 PM
In the bedroom of the last kid to move out, we now have three cages for three birds. We have lots of windows in our home which equals lots of light :). Muy importante! We also have a cage for Sassy in the living room area, next to the sliding glass door, she's mostly out of her cage, raising hell, when she's in this area! Chip is cage free in the bird room. His door is always open and he sleeps on top of it, goes in to eat and drink. Amigo, well..you know where he normally hangs :)

Lady
11-27-2014, 12:23 AM
Lady gets moved from room to room depending on the season, but at night she is always wherever I am.

Pinkbirdy
11-27-2014, 01:48 AM
You mean all 20 :) I have a double living room where they all are all around me . It seems that's how I judge how many I can have . They all have to fit in the room[no one left out :)]

Cedardave
11-27-2014, 11:45 PM
Everywhere.......no closets or basement.......our cages are always where the action is.....yikes, there everywhere:)

Animalman2046
11-28-2014, 01:41 PM
I keep Ziggy and his cage and play stand in the living room/TV room. I am in this room from 5AM until 9PM with the dogs who go to bed with me at night time. Ziggy is close to 2 windows so he can always see outside the other birds. At night time he is covered at 7PM for sleep and the TV is off. I do not watch TV except the news here so this is my reading/computer time from 7-9PM. The room is quiet so he gets his sleep. He likes to be in the middle of all the activity and I like to be able to see him all the time. I rarely go out of the house except to the bank or grocery store so the animals are usually never alone for more than a hour or so. I don't like being away from them.

Mare
11-30-2014, 03:51 AM
Unlike you, Ron..I cherish my time away :). I love my time away from not only my birds but my dogs, as well. Everyone seems to be so needy..drives me bonkers! I know they're not in need but creepers!..give me a break!

I only posted this because I was having a rough day with 21 animals to supply attention to. I was having a rough day.

kendrafitz
11-30-2014, 09:03 PM
As much as I love my dogs and Rosie, I need my breaks. That may also be because I have kids that need me as well.

But if I didn't get time away from Rosie every once in a while, I would go nutty. She wants to be with me all the time. On Thanksgiving my mom commented that if she could climb inside me she would. Of course Rosie was sticking her tongue in my ear at the moment. ;)

Minamommy
12-08-2014, 01:31 AM
Kendra that is soooo funny. Mina does that and if I'm not careful she'll stick it up my nose too lol. I have Mina's cage in a bedroom all her own. It is the one with the most windows however I have since found out she hates when things move outside birds trees ect. I put her in that room because A she could destroy it if she wanted and B I had a Rottweiler at the time. He has since passed but I'm in her room with her all the time playing with her anyway so it's not like she's alone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk