PDA

View Full Version : Garuda Aviaries

spiritbird
11-22-2014, 11:18 PM
This aviary is in Poolsville, Maryland. I was looking at their web page and watching a sad but realistic video and want to share it with other bird lovers. Anyone contemplating purchasing a bird for the first time would be wise to see this video. Their mission is to provide a lifetime shelter for abused and abandoned birds and public education.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
11-23-2014, 02:01 AM
It's truly sad what our feathered friends endure. I'm a sincere advocate of adopting, not buying from breeders of these large parrots.

Lady
11-23-2014, 02:32 AM
Education and a change in laws and penalties might help.

plax
11-23-2014, 07:18 AM
That's a very impactful video, Dianne. Thanks for posting it!

One huge contributor to the perpetuation of discarded birds is human whim. Disturbingly, impulse bird purchases are made each day by folks who know not what they're getting themselves into. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to reach most of those folks. But yes, education can certainly be helpful (when its delivery is possible).

I think the illegal pet trade exists about everywhere to some degree. It is currently illegal to import wild caught birds into the United States... which I wish were the case in all countries :(

The existence of bird mills is terribly upsetting to me. By "bird mills" I mean for-profit operations that mass-produce and sell young birds. Conversely, species preservation breeding facilities and programs are an entirely different thing and are very needed in some cases. When it comes to bird breeders, it's important to distinguish between these two classes.

The video highlights a number of disturbing facts, each of which I feel are crucially important for folks to consider. However, it as well contains a violation of our bird protection protocol in that it briefly shows a Hyacinth Macaw playing with a pit bull terrier. Because said clip of the bird with the dog is a contextual component of the overall message, and because the overall message is exceptionally important, I have decided not to delete the entire video (for now). The bird playing with the dog portion is troubling, however. It is NEVER acceptable to allow predator and prey species physical contact with one another!

jtbirds
11-23-2014, 01:38 PM
A very good video! I agree with most of their points and obviously have my own reservations on the subjects with running a rescue of my own I feel the pain they do. It is tough sometimes to accept the fact that all of these horrible things exist and hurt the birds. I do not believe that we have the chance now to eliminate the idea of owning a pet bird. The human race got greedy and now the greed is to far gone to stop. They are here and we gotta take care of them and I wish everyone that thinks they can dedicate this kind of love would look at it in a serious way. Thanks for sharing!

spiritbird
11-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Tony I was not sure you would allow this video but took a chance because the portion shown with a dog was done to let us know "hey this is wrong", at least that is what I took from it. It is very difficult to wrap my head around the fact that human care of our feathered friends can make a bird "insane". It seems most of the birds in a rescue are the larger ones. I am guessing people often get a large bird for ego and end up not caring for it well. Is there an answer for this abuse? Probably not.

jtbirds
11-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Well I can try my best to answer your question dianne. Abuse ranges a long way for me it starts at something that may not seem so direct like diet and can end the whole way at the top of the spectrum of physical and so on. The answer for abuse to me is nothing other then people neglecting to learn and better themselves, but instead taking the easy route of mistreatment.

This is a story from today actually. I was cleaning in the rescue when I went to the last cage I needed to clean.. I saved it for last on purpose. I walk to Rico a large somewhat plucked Moluccans cockatoo. I cleaned out his tray and he had a food dish in his cage he had knocked out and thrown his food. I went to open the door to get the dish he ran over and struck at me through the bars. I will not accept this as if i let him get away with it, it can only make Rico worse. I open to the door to take him to a play stand. He flys off and runs into the office and hides under the desk. Rico is so misunderstood.. he acts bad and he will most defiantly hurt you. Rico was hurt in the past I dont know by who or when or where, but Rico has lasting emotional scars that show. SO i sat on the floor and talked and he mostly ran from me in fear of me or the broom I was sweeping with. I let him be he wasn't hurting anything and he most of all was exploring a world outside of this horrible cage that he has never really been aloud to explore. I finished cleaning up and left Rico in the office for a few moments he had nothing to hurt himself on, but maybe destroy a few boxes of unpacked bird toys. I walked down to the house quickly and was talking to family about rico...

I made the comment I am not sure what we will have to do with Rico he is so scared and I would love to see him just be a bird and not have to deal with humans again. His emotional scars show me that he doesn't really want the bond right now or for a long time. In my moment of doubts they asked so you mean find him an aviary or just let him be? I said I am not sure but anything that would help this bird. I went to go back up to put him away. I assumed like in the past I would have to walk beside him until he reached his cage, kinda like a Shepard herding a loud pinkish sheep. I walked up and said hi Rico I did not look at him with both eyes as that in my working has done nothing but scare the scared. Without me thinking about the hurt Rico has put on me before or anything that his past story has said about him being so mean. I don't know my brain process but I leaned over and gave good faith as I hate seeing him so afraid and hurt. Before I knew what I was really doing Rico was on my arm not chewing on it not going after my face. He simply stepped up with his moment of good faith in me and sat on my arm. I could see it in his eyes as much as he could in mine, this was new and we both did not know if we could trust this. I slowly walked rico to his cage, Rico within two feet jumped off my arm into the cage and shook off. I rewarded him and was so surprised. I know the cage is his safe place and I know bad things have happened outside of that metal house, but he trusted me. I walked down to my family and said nevermind what I said about Rico, and told them this story.

This boy and these kind of moments is what makes this so worth it to me, I dislike seeing animals that have suffered through any type of abuse, but I do really like seeing them trust me or someone else that would rather be hurt before they hurt that animal. Believe me Rico has some nice sized scars on me from simply protecting what is his only save spot for years, hopefully I can help him find a save spot in someones arms that understand him if not he will stay with us as long as he needs. I felt bad for saying what I said about Rico and he proved me as wrong as can be:).

This is just an example of what wrong care to right care can do, as you stated the wrong care on whatever level can easily drive a bird to extreme measures. Rico has a page long of things he has done to hurt people, but only because I am sure he has a longer page of what humans have done to hurt him.

plax
11-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Great example, Justin. I hope this is a pivotal beginning for Rico... I hope his trust continues to develop! Thanks for sharing.

spiritbird
11-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Thank you for this inspiring little story about Rico. Can you keep up trying to gain his trust and then what? Rico may do better with you because you understand his history. Can you get any photos of him. It would be nice to know more about this bird. I just finished reading a wonderful book written by a woman who started a rescue for endangered birds that will be in my heart forever. It is called Pandemonium Aviaries. You may like reading this book too.

Mare
11-26-2014, 03:05 AM
I'm not sure that people buy large birds for their ego. Not at all, really. I have a large bird, a medium sized bird and a cockatiel (smallish bird). I must admit, though, my large bird is awfully smart, comparatively speaking :)

plax
11-26-2014, 03:55 AM
I'm not sure that people buy large birds for their ego. Not at all, really. I have a large bird, a medium sized bird and a cockatiel (smallish bird). I must admit, though, my large bird is awfully smart, comparatively speaking :)Actually, some folks do acquire large parrots mainly as show pieces, motivated by a mere desire to impress others :(. Occasionally such individuals develop genuine love and concern for those birds and choose to care for them properly... while other times the birds end up suffering with uncertain futures :(

Mare
11-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I know you're right, Tony, just wish it was different. I think most of us here, that have a large parrot, didn't do it for ego, I sure as heck didn't!

kendrafitz
11-26-2014, 11:10 PM
No ego here, my daughter and her love of macaws and my love of all animals brought our big girl to us. In fact, Rosie is bad for an inflated ego. As she tells me who the boss is on a regular basis! And it isn't me!!