PDA

View Full Version : The Kea Parrot

Mare
11-20-2014, 01:57 AM
The kea (/ˈkiː.ə/; Māori: [kɛ.a]; Nestor notabilis) is a large species of parrot of the superfamily Strigopoidea found in forested and alpine regions of the South Island of New Zealand. About 48 cm (19 in) long, it is mostly olive-green with a brilliant orange under its wings and has a large, narrow, curved, grey-brown upper beak. The kea is the world's only alpine parrot. Its omnivorous diet includes carrion,[2] but consists mainly of roots, leaves, berries, nectar, and insects. Now uncommon, the kea was once killed for bounty due to concerns by the sheep-farming community that it attacked livestock, especially sheep.[3] It received full protection in 1986.[4]

The kea nests in burrows or crevices among the roots of trees. Kea are known for their intelligence and curiosity, both vital to their survival in a harsh mountain environment. Kea can solve logical puzzles, such as pushing and pulling things in a certain order to get to food, and will work together to achieve a certain objective.[5] They have been filmed preparing and using tools.[6]

I find fascinating that the kea is the world's only alpine parrot! The video my daughter took is in snow ridden mountains!

PlaxMacaws
05-15-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure how I missed this one. The Kea Parrot is indeed an interesting bird! Thanks, Mare!

Mare
05-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Tony, you didn't see the pics I posted when my daughter visited New Zealand last Oct.-Nov.? Here is one of the pics she took of a kea parrot.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

PlaxMacaws
05-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Actually, I did see some of your daughter's photos of the Kea Parrot in another of your threads. I merely missed this species profile that you submitted. I love the dark outlines bordering each feather on this bird. They give it quite an interesting appearance. It's a very unique species :D

Mare
05-15-2015, 09:27 PM
I agree, the dark outline of each feather is special :) almost like a stain glass window. I've never heard of this species being kept as a pet..have you?

spiritbird
05-15-2015, 09:46 PM
They sort of look like a prehistoric bird. I do not think they can fly but not sure. Thanks for doing an interesting profile on this unusual bird with photo to go with it.

jtbirds
05-16-2015, 01:02 AM
I believe they are only kept for breeding to re introduce. They are interesting for sure! They remind me of pheasants.

zeus
05-16-2015, 01:25 AM
Actually, I did see some of your daughter's photos of the Kea Parrot in another of your threads. I merely missed this species profile that you submitted. I love the dark outlines bordering each feather on this bird. They give it quite an interesting appearance. It's a very unique species :D

Yes, the pattern is very different & interesting. Almost doesn't look real.

PlaxMacaws
05-16-2015, 02:56 AM
I agree, the dark outline of each feather is special :) almost like a stain glass window. I've never heard of this species being kept as a pet..have you?Nope. I sure haven't.

Lady
05-16-2015, 10:01 PM
There is a great deal of information about them here: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]