PDA

View Full Version : Hypothermia and frostbite

Lady
11-19-2014, 01:24 AM
Hey guys,

I'm sure most of the folks here have some knowledge of how to make sure our birds are protected from winter weather. I was thinking about this subject and did a little research. Much to my surprise I was not as aware of the seriousness of hypothermia and frostbite seeing how our bird lives inside all year round.

I found a somewhat dated article from the site bird channel and will leave the link. Just wanted to post a reminder and maybe you might just learn something new as well.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
It might be a good idea to check your emergency kits in case you need to update any items.

Mare
11-19-2014, 02:01 AM
Thank you for the sites, Alice :). I now have my..?injured dove in the outdoor aviary. It is getting colder here in California but nowhere near as cold as you all back east!! We have cover on TOP of the aviary for her but none on the sides, none as of yet, anyways.

spiritbird
11-19-2014, 02:24 AM
Praying little dove thrives in your care.

Lady
11-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Your welcome Mare, thanks for taking the time to check it out. I'm not sure if you need to do more in your area for the weather unless fixing a tarp on the windy side could be useful....? I know you already have some of the area blocked from the sun so they can get into the shade if they are to warm.