PDA

View Full Version : Please Avoid Allowing Dogs or Cats Access to Pet Birds!

plax
11-16-2014, 05:27 PM
From: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] (Julie Burge, DVM)

Avian Medical Case of the Day: This cockatiel came in with a wound on the side of her neck following a dog attack. Two things you can learn from this case: First, never trust a dog or cat around your bird because birds are tiny and fragile, and the infection from even a single cat toenail puncture will kill them if you don't seek immediate veterinary help. Second, birds have air sacs that are like balloons that branch off of their lungs which extend into the neck, the abdomen, and even into a few of the larger bones. If you create a hole into one of the air sacs, the bird can breathe through that opening as this bird did. When we tried to put her under gas anesthesia with a mask over her face, she wouldn't fall asleep because she was breathing room air through the hole in her neck until we held it closed with gauze. The good news is she made a full recovery after we did surgery to close the wound and treated her with antibiotics.

spiritbird
11-16-2014, 07:25 PM
OMG that photo makes me sick. So glad the bird survived. How did the stress effect the bird? Was that addressed?

plax
11-16-2014, 07:50 PM
OMG that photo makes me sick. So glad the bird survived. How did the stress effect the bird? Was that addressed?No, I didn't find any information on the bird's current emotional state. What I have posted is Dr. Burge's entire statement concerning the incident. It's extremely upsetting :(

froggij
11-17-2014, 12:15 AM
I kinda feel like I'm going to lose my lunch...

Lady
11-17-2014, 01:01 AM
Oh goodness, I'm so glad the little guy is okay, and yes, I'm also in agreement that it surely took a toll on his emotions. I know if I was attacked by a dog even if it isn't 60x bigger than me, I would be shook up for sometime. Emotional scars can last a lifetime but physical ones can heal in time.

froggij
11-17-2014, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I have scars from when I used to groom dogs. Trust me, it takes a toll on you, no matter who's bigger than who.

Minamommy
01-15-2015, 05:39 AM
People upset me so much. What would make them think it was safe to allow a dog around that bird[emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk