PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy From a Bird Flipper?

spiritbird
11-09-2014, 06:32 PM
It is fairly easy to spot a bird flipper. They usually have involved stories about the bird to tell you. Usually want a high price. Will not be able to answer detailed questions or give you any references. May not want you to see where the bird has been housed. Bird may or may not be in bad shape. I do not think I would buy a bird from them because it will just encourage more flipping. I would call animal control to see if they could investigate. What would you do?

Macaw Lover
11-09-2014, 07:28 PM
I would walk away. You never know just where a bird would come from, how many diseases it could be exposed to/carry, nothing. Calling animal control will not get you anywhere as they are going to laugh you off as they will not consider it a problem, only someone who is looking to make the $$$$ and making a living is not illegal.

Lady
11-09-2014, 07:45 PM
I'm new to this terminology but the context is easy to understand when I think of what folks who flip houses do. With all those "may not's" no, I wouldn't buy a bird from them. I have seen folks try to sell puppies in the parking lot where I work but was never approached by them. Now that you brought this to my attention I'm wondering how could you get animal control to investigate unless the seller agrees to give you further information.
I tried to search this but didn't get any information until I searched on my local SPCA.

spiritbird
11-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Unless there is the absence of food, water and basic needs provided I guess animal control could not do anything. People can sell birds without a license as opposed to dogs.
A friend of mine and I did call AC about people selling puppies that died and they were saying the pups did receive first vaccines. AC did a surprise visit with them and found no vaccines. They took all the puppies and this person received a $1,000, fine. can't do that with birds.

94lt1
11-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Idk.. If i feel the bird is in a bad way... There's no telling what I may do... We have to fight for those who can't.. ;)

kendrafitz
11-09-2014, 09:21 PM
That is really tough. My first instinct is absolutely not. But then I think about the bird. If they were in bad shape I may waver just bc my heart would ache. It just stinks that there are people who do this in the first place!!

spiritbird
11-09-2014, 09:50 PM
I think but not sure that a bird flipper would only have a bird that needs help in some way. That way they know they will get their money.

froggij
11-09-2014, 10:40 PM
I didn't even know this was a thing. People make me sick....preying on innocent, potentially bad-shape animals to make a profit... shame on them. I don't know what I would do, but I doubt Animal Control would do much of anything. Maybe call the aspca on them and get the birds out of that situation and some care if I could?

spiritbird
11-10-2014, 12:18 AM
I think the only thing we could do with a flipper is spread the word.

plax
11-12-2014, 06:23 PM
If we save birds in the custody of flippers then we are perpetuating the process :( ... But if we don't help those birds, their unthinkably horrible potential fates may become certainty :(. Both answers are very disturbing. My hope for every bird in the custody of a bird flipper is that it somehow finds a responsible and loving, forever home!

spiritbird
11-12-2014, 10:48 PM
I am going to a bird flippers home with a member from another forum who is purchasing one of her birds. The bird is plucked but hopefully healthy. It will be very difficult for me to keep my mouth shut.

Lady
11-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Oh my, be careful there Dianne.