PDA

View Full Version : Beak trimming..

94lt1
11-07-2014, 01:12 AM
Well.. Even though I'd seen it done a billion times.. And done it quite a few... It's always a hassle with our conures.. It takes too long.. So my vet suggested using a dremel and a flex shift.. I used a barrel that was a tad too abrasive and barely made both Rains and Starburst beaks bleed just a little.. Not even a drop.. But you can see a very tiny bit of blood.. Right in the tip.. We used corn starch to make sure it had stopped..

But it wasn't dripping.. Still alarmed us.. Watching them now.. To make sure they aren't bleeding.. Scare for the night... Eek..

PlaxMacaws
11-07-2014, 01:45 AM
I trim Zaf's lower beak all the time - since it grows so rapidly. Both he and Salsa are absolutely terrified of my dremel tool. Consequently, around here when any beak trimming happens it has to be of the manual snipping variety. Zaf is the only one of my 4 who has a rapid beak growth problem, though. He's been that way ever since he came to live with me in 2005 and his blood work always indicates that his organs are healthy. Beak snip sessions for him are just a routine thing around here.

kendrafitz
11-07-2014, 01:59 AM
I am afraid to use a dremmel. I am super uncoordinated and I fear it could be a disaster. I hope Rain and Starburst sleep ok and you recover from the scare.

Rosie actually chipped the point of her upper beak tonight. I was wondering if I could use a nail file to even it out and make it less sharp? I will wait until tomorrow bc I am worried it may be sensitive tonight.

94lt1
11-07-2014, 02:05 AM
It's tricky to avoid their tongue.. And they ALWAYS stick their tongues out..

Trimming the lower beak would be a big problem... And we usually use a nail file/emery board.. But this would be fast.. Less traumatic on them.. Ugh.. Just a a very small spot of blood... But with birds.. A few drops will end it all.

PlaxMacaws
11-07-2014, 04:17 AM
Kendra: You can certainly use a nail file or an emery board to smooth out the chipped area - as long as she allows you to do it (that is, if you choose not to restrain her). BTW, I never restrain my guys when doing their beaks or nails.

Brandon: With Zaf there's never a need to file/sand the trimmed edges for him... all I need do is hold one of his stainless steel grinding bolts and he smooths all rough edges by himself. I realize that's not going to work for most birds, though.

Karen
11-07-2014, 03:44 PM
I trim Zaf's lower beak all the time - since it grows so rapidly. Both he and Salsa are absolutely terrified of my dremel tool. Consequently, around here when any beak trimming happens it has to be of the manual snipping variety. Zaf is the only one of my 4 who has a rapid beak growth problem, though. He's been that way ever since he came to live with me in 2005 and his blood work always indicates that his organs are healthy. Beak snip sessions for him are just a routine thing around here.

What do you use to trim the lower mandible?

PlaxMacaws
11-07-2014, 06:10 PM
What do you use to trim the lower mandible?I have two types of human nail trimmers that I use for his lower mandible. I have the diagonal cutter type, and I have the conventional squeeze-pincer type. The squeeze-pincer type tend to work best for his lower beak. I snip bits of it off in a progressive contour pattern. And then for the point of his upper mandible, I use canine/feline looped nail trimmers.

94lt1
11-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Ours have to practically be held down to trim them.. Or file em.. Guess we need to spend time training them for it.. But many birds see it as a traumatic experience..

PlaxMacaws
11-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Ours have to practically be held down to trim them.. Or file em.. Guess we need to spend time training them for it.. But many birds see it as a traumatic experience..Yes, that's very true! Many birds are terrified of certain procedures... especially when those procedures involve using tools/instruments on them. Mine are no different. It's just that the tool they happen to be terrified of is the dremel tool.

What I initially did to desensitize each of my guys to the nail trimmers is this. I would place one of them on a perch stand and use lots of comforting baby talk to make the approach and departure of the trimmer device seem like a game. I would always back off when one of them became too uncomfortable. I simply took my time in this way until they allowed me to perform and complete the trimming task with reasonable calmness.

kendrafitz
11-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Rosie put up with it for about a minute. Then she chomped it. Everytime I tried thereafter she found it funny to crush my files. So I will try again later...

This is Ashleys file which I am going to have to hide so she doesnt get mad. The actual file part is on the other (non blingy) side...

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Tony - Rosie does not handle being restrained well. After the vet toweled her for her first visit, she has a true hatred of towels and most blankets. I can towel off her beak after a shower but that is it. So I never restrain her. :)

plax
11-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Kendra: Actually the snipping is much easier to accomplish on my guys than trying to file on their beaks. Each of my 4 as well tend to grab any filing or sanding tool with an intent to mutilate it. That's one big reason that I'm happy to let Zaf smooth his own edges on one of his grinding bolts :). Jack, Maynard and Salsa are great because they mostly keep their beaks in check all by themselves :D

I hope Ashley allows you and Rosie to go on living! ;)

94lt1
11-09-2014, 08:21 PM
On the dremel we use a flex shaft.. So the business end is pretty far away from the noise of the motor.. The only reason I humored it was because of the speed.. Less time under tension for our babies.. :)