PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Toenails!

froggij
11-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Alright, I would appreciate an opinion on this one. Pardon the long explanation for the short question.

So after a horrid day at work, I came home and looked at Rosalita and asked mom why her toe had blood on it. Which nearly started a full-on panic. Thank goodness for my experience as a groomer with weird toenails. Long story short, it turns out she broke some of the sheathing off the bottom/side of the nail and has exposed the quick in the process. She must have done this sometime today while we were both at work and we really can't figure out how - she bites her nails sometimes but I don't think she would have done this to herself, she was obviously not very happy about it, none of her toys have anything hanging off of them that she could get caught in, so it's a bit of a mystery. Anywho, this is the first time it's happened, so I'm not terribly worried - it stopped bleeding, but I couldn't trim the nail as far down as the break was because then it would be bad enough it would have to be cauterized, and I don't have the stomach (or ability, or veterinarian's office that's open right now) for that. So I left a little of the exposed quick, and we're going to keep a very vigilant watch over her feet and keep the all-purpose flour handy in case of another break.

That being said, since it didn't bleed a lot, but did bleed some, should I invest in some over the counter avian antibiotics and put them in her water just to be on the safe side? The last thing we want is for her getting sick, and even though her cage is clean I know they can pick things up really quickly. So ...

Avian antibios - yes or no?

plax
11-06-2014, 11:47 PM
If you keep her foot clean and her cage is clean then the injury will probably not become infected and she'll heal fine. But I think a broad-spectrum antibiotic would be an added safeguard... which may give you some peace of mind.

She may have been nipping her toenail down a bit and it simply fractured into the quick. Toenails can split sometimes. I'm sure she didn't intend to do it.