PDA

View Full Version : Bird Species and Diseases

spiritbird
11-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Sadly the administrator of a well known forum just recently lost her most loved Macaw. There are several Macaws in the home and one African Grey. The Macaw died from heart failure from asthma obtained from the bird dust of one bird- the grey. There were two quality filtration machines in the home and only last minute symptoms. I tell you this because if you are mixing old world and new world birds you may be asking for problems. Know your bird species that are dusty birds and do not mix them with susceptible birds like Macaws and sun conures. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

I also suggest you become familiar with which disease your bird may get. Here is a link to bird species and their diseases. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Because of what is happening to chipper I guess you could say I am now hypervigilant.

kendrafitz
11-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Oh no! I am heartbroken, I loved watching her videos and that smart, beautiful, funny baby never failed to put a smile on my face. I cannot imagine the loss felt.

Thank you for posting this. I never would have known about mixing dusty birds with macaws can be fatal. It really hits home, since it happened in such a short amount of time.

Thank you for the links as well. I am going to do some research today.

spiritbird
11-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Macaws name was Zoe.

plax
11-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks so much for posting this, Dianne. It's a terribly sad example of what can occur when any of the dust-generating species coexist with other birds in the same home. Each of us should heed the heartbreaking warning from this tragic story!

kendrafitz
11-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Zoe, the wizard birdy girl and best friend. She will be missed by many.

Macaw Lover
11-02-2014, 04:48 PM
I just hope for those people that have said 'get an air purifier', that is enough, that they stop and realize that it is not enough and they will make adjustments in their own flock.

I know I have cried too many tears and I can just image what the Mama is going through.

Karen
11-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Renee' I could have written your post word for word.

The tears that have fallen for Zoe are many. I cry every time I read a new post. This touches my heart deeply; as Macaws are so near and dear to me.

I want to tell anyone that will hear me; air filters and the other side of the room are not gonna cut it!!! Don't let your Macaw be the one.

jtbirds
11-02-2014, 09:22 PM
This is horribly sad, I as well have some of the dustier birds and many of the not so dusty birds. I have to ask did she bath the grey daily to reduce dust as well. I am not trying to sound rude about the situation I am just curious so in the future I can give more information to my adoptees. I have always believed against having a lot of dust around macaws but I also believe that bathing a dusty bird daily is a must.

Lady
11-02-2014, 11:04 PM
This is very sad news. Please convey our condolences to her and her family.

spiritbird
11-03-2014, 12:44 AM
I do not know about daily baths for her grey and dare not ask. Her grey is going to another home.

Stephen12
10-26-2017, 09:47 AM
its so heartbreaking to hear news like that. :(