PDA

View Full Version : Making perches..few questions??

shelbyrenee1329
04-29-2013, 07:22 PM
I am getting ready to make some natural perches. Just wanted to know what everyone did to make sure the are all clean? Or is it ok to just use them how they are?
Also what is everyones favorite wood to use?

mistywaterwoman
04-29-2013, 08:18 PM
I buy mine from a friend who does applewood for gnawing pets... she scrubs, boils and then bakes the branches, to get rid of sap and parasites. It's probably overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

roxynoodle
04-29-2013, 09:34 PM
I cook them in the oven whenever possible at 250 degrees for a minimum of 10 minutes. Then wipe them with a bleach solution of 50 parts water to 1 part bleach.

shelbyrenee1329
04-29-2013, 10:35 PM
:awesome-smiley-emot Thanks!

roxynoodle
04-30-2013, 12:59 AM
Your welcome :) Although I can't fit really long ones in my oven so all I can do with those is let them dry as much as possible first and treat them with the bleach solution. I generally use Mulberry because it doesn't seem to have any bugs, and being my own trees I know they haven't been chemically treated, and the wood and leaves are bird safe.

Mare
05-02-2013, 05:49 AM
When making perches for my Goffin's, a bleach solution is what I use to clean the wood. I've got to tell you, though, my free flyer, Amigo, has chewed on every wild fauna in sight with no ill affects. Maybe he's built up immunities at this point, I'm not positive, so go with the bleach, for sure!