PDA

View Full Version : Zaf's new play cave

PlaxMacaws
10-29-2014, 04:15 AM
These photos are right after my modifications were completed. He hasn't had enough courage to enter it yet.

Lady
10-29-2014, 04:20 AM
Awesome, can hardly wait to see him hoping in and out having a great time! You did a great job making sure it is safe and cozy for him :)~

Macaw Lover
10-29-2014, 02:55 PM
I love it! Once that little guy learns that it will not eat him alive, he will start loving it too.

How much does one of those actually weigh? The thought had crossed my mind in the past to get one as a carrier but if I remember correctly, they ran a little on the high side and maybe not as easy to carry too.

PlaxMacaws
10-29-2014, 03:50 PM
I love it! Once that little guy learns that it will not eat him alive, he will start loving it too.

How much does one of those actually weigh? The thought had crossed my mind in the past to get one as a carrier but if I remember correctly, they ran a little on the high side and maybe not as easy to carry too.Well, I actually haven't weighed it. This one is the #55019 model and its dimensions are 21W x 38D x 25H. Various sources on the web have it listed as 45 lb. However, I called the manufacturer, Owens, and they told me it was closer to 60 lb. They may be wrong though because it doesn't feel quite that heavy to me. And btw, there are several models in varying sizes. This size at least has to be shipped via truck freight, and that's where a big part of the expense comes in. The shipping weight on this one was listed as 97 lb. (which includes the weight of the pallet) and the total cost to me was $554.

jtbirds
10-30-2014, 03:03 AM
That is some kind of man cave for zaf!

Macaw Lover
10-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Well, I actually haven't weighed it. This one is the #55019 model and its dimensions are 21W x 38D x 25H. Various sources on the web have it listed as 45 lb. However, I called the manufacturer, Owens, and they told me it was closer to 60 lb. They may be wrong though because it doesn't feel quite that heavy to me. And btw, there are several models in varying sizes. This size at least has to be shipped via truck freight, and that's where a big part of the expense comes in. The shipping weight on this one was listed as 97 lb. (which includes the weight of the pallet) and the total cost to me was $554.

That really is expensive but doesn't surprise me. I know a while back I was thinking of trying to find a used one but then thought better of that idea in the event a dog pee'd or pooped in it.

With that type weight, that would not be easy to carry into the vet's office.

What started appearing on CL was someone who has 3 crates they used for their show dogs. Actually one they say was never even used but the price is something like 1600. I had first seen their add probably 3 years ago but with that price plus the fact they would be too big, that would not work for me.

PlaxMacaws
10-30-2014, 05:11 AM
That really is expensive but doesn't surprise me. I know a while back I was thinking of trying to find a used one but then thought better of that idea in the event a dog pee'd or pooped in it.

With that type weight, that would not be easy to carry into the vet's office.

What started appearing on CL was someone who has 3 crates they used for their show dogs. Actually one they say was never even used but the price is something like 1600. I had first seen their add probably 3 years ago but with that price plus the fact they would be too big, that would not work for me.And then you have to consider the fact that these things come with glued-in plastic insulation that can be easily torn apart by a large bird if he/she should find an edge... and there are plenty of edges to find around the side ports. Then throw in the fact that the inset door latch mechanism is exposed on the inner side of the door, and you'll find yourself with a bit of work and some additional expense to bring the crate up to large macaw snuff. As you can see in my photos, I've thus designed a stainless steal cover for the latch mechanism and installed plexiglass side panels to protect the inner lining materials. Unfortunately these units are not designed for birds.

Macaw Lover
10-30-2014, 05:16 PM
I had no idea they even had any sort of insulation.

I went searching and found the ad, not on CL and the pics this time were really small but wonder if this would have been better.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

PlaxMacaws
10-30-2014, 05:36 PM
I had no idea they even had any sort of insulation.

I went searching and found the ad, not on CL and the pics this time were really small but wonder if this would have been better.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] I have no idea. It depends upon which type of metal its parts are constructed from and whether or not it's lined with material other than metal inside. And then the shape and size would be factors as well. If it's located somewhere near you, you might go have a look at it.

As for the diamond-plate Owens boxes... I've found no mention anywhere online that they are lined internally with corrugated plastic insulation. Trying to rip it out and get the adhesive off adequately would have been a major task, so I opted for the plexiglass panels.

Lady
11-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Oh isn't it time for a:hy: update??? :bump3:

2birds
11-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Pretty nice box, does Zaf like it yet?

PlaxMacaws
11-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Pretty nice box, does Zaf like it yet?He likes it... but he still doesn't completely trust it. He enters it and grabs a toy and then runs out. He'll get there :)

BeakFace
11-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't know what it is I'm looking at? Is this a dog crate as mentioned by someone else or is yours a box you are converting to a cave? Where do you put it so he can get in it? Just something for him to play in? It looks well built. Who makes it and what was its original intent used for? Anyway looks awesome. Is this for both your birds?

plax
11-19-2014, 04:00 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't know what it is I'm looking at? Is this a dog crate as mentioned by someone else or is yours a box you are converting to a cave? Where do you put it so he can get in it? Just something for him to play in? It looks well built. Who makes it and what was its original intent used for? Anyway looks awesome. Is this for both your birds?Hi Cynthia. For an explanation of Zaf's play cave, please read the following post:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

The new one is a dog crate by Owens. I've modified it by making a stainless steel cover for its internal latch assembly as well as affixing plexiglass to its inner walls. I've also mounted part of an old playgym ladder on its door so he can easily climb up the door - he likes to sit on top of the door and have easy access to step onto the top of the crate.