PDA

View Full Version : Conflicted.

Robyn
10-29-2014, 01:59 AM
There is a member on another forum who wants to get rid of their tiel as they know their tiel would be happier with another tiel but refuse to get another one because they are allergic and can't stand the noise a tiel makes (but has no problem with their gcc for some reason) They have stated that they do not like the tiel and really don't want to take care of it anymore but they also don't want to rehome it to just anyone (which is somewhat responsible) So I messaged them to ask where they were located as if they happened to be within 4 hours of me I would gladly take their tiel and once quarintine and introductions were done I would cage her with Riley as 2 females can't produce babies. However I would be breaking one of my biggest rules for myself which is never get another bird if you haven't had your current bird(s) for atleast a year. But I know it would be better for the bird to live with someone who actually wanted and likes cockatiels and if they have one already. The biggest problem is the drive to this person would be about 13-14 hours ONE way. BUT I really want to help this bird out.

Mare
10-29-2014, 02:37 AM
Aww.. that's awesome you want to help. Could you make it into a road trip adventure and spend a night away from home? Do you have someone who could help with the driving? I always hate hearing someone doesn't like their bird :( I understand your need to help.

Robyn
10-29-2014, 03:07 AM
Its more of an issue of I can't sit that long so it'd have to be a 2-3 day trip and there's nobody I'd trust to take care if Riley that long.

spiritbird
10-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Vets usually will board a bird for you. True they will miss you but in the end you will be giving a little bird a better life.

PlaxMacaws
10-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Robyn: You might also ask the bird's current owner whether he/she would be willing to meet you half way. Or at least part of the way. That could cut down your driving time significantly.

Macaw Lover
10-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Is there any way you could fly? Cost of airfare would be a factor, but if they could bring the tiel to the airport you wouldn't have to rent a car on top, and then you could just take another flight home. A bird that size would fit under the seat.

Robyn
10-30-2014, 12:45 AM
Right now we are discussing having her ship the bird to me.

Robyn
11-26-2014, 08:07 PM
Update: I have messaged the current owner and asked if she still has her and due to the fact its no[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] I don't feel comfortable shipping her right now however I have offered to pay the shipping fee in advance and have her shipped in April when there's less of a chance of the flight being canceled due to snow and because the way my work schedule is I can't really do the day to day wait to see if she will be able to be shipped. Hopefully her current owner will agree to this.

Lady
11-27-2014, 12:35 AM
I hope it works out for all of you Robyn. Keep the updates coming~ :)

Animalman2046
11-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Robyn so glad to hear you want to take this bird and help it. I am always appalled at people who get animals (dogs, cats, birds or whatever) then decide they don't want them or like them any longer.......SHAME ON THEM. Taking a animal is a responsibility and a life time commitment to the animals. Now I understand having to rehome due to health or money issues if your sick, old, or just unable to care for the animal. But to say you don't like the animal and just want to get rid of it........oh well some people are so strange and should NEVER have animals. God bless you for trying to save this poor little baby. What about trying to see if you can find several people here on the forum who might be willing to car transport the bird from her area to you? Hopefully several members here would be willing to help you out this way. Where is this lady located? Please keep trying and keep us posted. Thanks and again bless you.

Robyn
11-28-2014, 05:25 PM
She's in Colorado I'm in Washington.

Robyn
11-29-2014, 05:14 AM
she seems willing to do it but now she wants to see if her "allergies" go away by trying a few things. If they don't she will rehome her to me.