PDA

View Full Version : Hiya!

Abby
10-25-2014, 02:59 AM
Hello!

Gosh, it's been quite a while since I made an introductory thread on a forum! I used to be highly addicted to forums, but now there are only a select few I visit. There are two other bird forums I am an active member of, one of which I am a staff member. But I love meeting new people and learning new things - I don't limit myself! So here I am! I was searching Google to see if there were any other bird forums I wasn't quite familiar with, and that's when I discovered this place.

My name is obviously Abby, I'm 19 and from Ohio. I have had plenty experience with parrots of all kinds and have been owning birds for over ten years now. In addition, I used to hold a position at this local, family own and operated parrot business. There, I interacted with all different species of birds - they even had a Hyacinth! I have moved on from that job but I still visit the store often, and I am friends with the owners.

I only own one bird right now. His name is Digby. He is a three-year-old male Congo African Grey. I got him mid-summer from a friend I used to work with. This friend and his boyfriend broke up and could no longer care for Digby, and as they knew and trusted me, Digs was passed on to me. He is basically my world! I love him to death! Because he came to me with some plucking/chewing issues, we have been working on that. I'm happy to say there has been some improvement. His favorite foods are any kind of orange crackers (Goldfish, Cheez-Its, etc. He hardly ever gets those, only on rare occasions, but he'd kill for one!!) raw macaroni noodles, and peanut butter (I just found out about the peanut butter.... served some to him and he dove right into it!). He likes to shred paper, and make loud noises with bells and metal toys. He steps up well, and if he's being stubborn, there are two perches he will step up onto no matter what. (It's funny - sometimes he makes a frustrated/growling noise when I offer him the perch, as if he doesn't want to step up, but for some reason in his head he thinks he has to, since it's THAT perch. LOL!) He's very easy to read, and I've only been pinched/bitten maybe a few times because we understand each other pretty well. He's a super sensitive boy but I think he's coming out of his shell more. I know he's truly a sweetheart and loves my company for sure.

Other than birds, my interests include beauty/makeup, tattoos, art, reptiles, writing, video games, music, and horseback riding. :)

I'm looking forward to joining in on some of the discussions here! Sorry for the long intro. Have a nice night everyone!

froggij
10-25-2014, 03:23 AM
Hi Abby! Welcome to both you and Digs, I'm sure you guys will like it here quite a bit. I'm glad to hear you're making such progress with him since you got him, poor little guy with all his chewing

plax
10-25-2014, 03:54 AM
Welcome to PP, Abby and Digby! I love his name, by the way... and what an adorable fuzzy little guy he is :D. Thanks so much for the rundown on your acquisition of and life with him. And thanks for posting Digby's pics; he's indeed quite the cutie :). We're truly glad you two have joined us. Feel free to jump right in and make yourself at home here. I know that I'm looking forward to reading more about Digby... and perhaps even viewing a few more photos of him here and there as well.

Lady
10-25-2014, 04:19 AM
Hi Abby,
:pp_welcome:Nice of you to join us. Digby is very cute. Such expression on his face. How wonderful that you have him as a part of your family. It is wonderful that he is doing well. Thanks for the pics, we love seeing all the great faces of our feathered family. It will be great hearing how he is getting along with all the wonderful things you and he will learn throughout your lives together.
There is plenty of experience within these "pages" or threads so read what interest you and I'm sure you will be posting often. So much to learn and share here. The folks here are great and have wonderful suggestions and ideas. Who knows just how much experience is available collectively. Someone usually has some idea and can help in most situations.

Have a great weekend~

Abby
10-26-2014, 03:13 AM
Thank you for the warm welcomes! Digby says thank you too. Was a little busy today relaxing (LOL...trying to take time away from the screen!) so I'm gonna jump into a few threads now. :)

Wvbirdlover
11-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Hi Abby,
Good to meet you and hear about Digby. Love seeing the pics. He looks like he's got tons of personality. I've always been interested in grays, but have just stayed with the smaller species.

Wvbirdlover [emoji258]

spiritbird
11-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Hi Abby. Happy to have you join us and please do jump into any topic of interest. Digby is adorable. I would love to make you a signature with that adorable grey face.

Custom Made Signature Backgrounds - Put Your Request Here ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

kendrafitz
11-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Hi Abby and welcome!!

Digby is so handsome. I love his fluffy down feathered little torso!! He looks like quite a character in the last pic. :)

2birds
11-03-2014, 12:19 AM
Welcome to the forum Abby. Digby is awesome and I love his expressions. Poor little guy with his feather chewing problem. Maybe with the proper attention and a good diet he can overcome this. If he was in the middle of a break up, maybe it was a little too much tension for him. Even if he doesn't, he will still be adorable though.