PDA

View Full Version : Riley is doing better :)

Robyn
10-18-2014, 10:54 PM
I put Riley back in her cage on wednesday and she fell to the bottom of the cage ( I saw that her toys move too much because she leans over too far and looses balance and falls) only this time I noticed she can now climb the cage bars to get back up to the top. So yesterday I completely rearranged her cage removed 4 perches, moved her food and water dishes so she has to go from one end of the cage to the other to get to them, moved the toys so she has 1-2 toys per perch that have been clipped on cross bars to limit their movement. Wednesday she was a bit nippy though thats understandable after not having any out of cage time for 2 weeks. Now however she is back to her normal sweet self.

Lady
10-19-2014, 12:35 AM
:th_yah: So glad to hear she is doing better~

PlaxMacaws
10-19-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm happy to hear Riley is feeling better, Robyn. I hope she enjoys her new cage setup :)

Robyn
10-20-2014, 01:13 AM
She doesn't love the new cage set up but it allows her more room to flap around which is good because she is in a large flight cage after all and the cage set up she had before didn't allow her room to flap around without hitting her wings on something. I only did things that way because she couldn't climb the cage bars to get back up to the top if she was on the bottom. Now that she has demonstrated her cage climbing abilities I took out the extra perches on the bottom half of the cage so now she can flap around in the middle of the top half and on the entire bottom half without hitting her wings on anything. I also now have her eating two table foods. She likes corn bread and whole wheat toast. She does not however like peanut butter on her whole wheat toast I discovered this while I was eating my whole wheat toast and I kept offering her some and she kept refusing it but was eating the crumbs off my plate then she started eating the underside of my toast where there was no peanut butter and she kept eating it so obviously she liked it. Don't worry I have a habbit of tearing apart my toast and eating it that way rather than just biting off the toast itself so she had no chance of eating parts of the toast I ate off of.

PlaxMacaws
10-20-2014, 04:50 AM
Riley sounds like Maynard... he doesn't like peanut butter on his toast either. Salsa, Zaf, and Jack will each kill for a piece of peanut buttered toast though ;)

Robyn
10-20-2014, 08:05 AM
I know a lot of people recommend trying peanut butter on toast as most birds apparently love peanut butter clearly Riley does not.

froggij
10-20-2014, 03:03 PM
Orsino does not do sticky. He doesn't do sweets, he doesn't do sticky, he refuses all forms of fruit (unless ground up into an almost-powder and placed on his food!). But toast or crackers he would probably kill one of his siblings for if they got in the way between him and a triscuit.

I'm so glad to hear that Riley's doing better, I remember when Orsino got sick I was absolutely terrified, so thank goodness Riley's getting back to good

Robyn
10-21-2014, 12:18 AM
Orsino not eating fruit is actually typical for a cockatiel. Most won't eat fruit you get the oddball that will but mostly they stick to veggies (when you can get them to eat them)

froggij
10-21-2014, 12:37 AM
Yeah, he's a fan of broccoli and ... do potato chips count as a vegetable? Orsino seems to think so, he'll grab one right out of my hand... Lol. Picky 'tiels!

Robyn
10-21-2014, 01:15 AM
I have yet to find 1 veggie Riley will eat but I have found out she likes corn bread and whole wheat toast. I haven't had potatoe chips in about a month since I'm on the mediterranean diet. So far it has lowered my dads blood sugar from 375 to 150. He was told by his doctor he had to go on it because of his diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and many other ailments he refuses to acknowledge.

Robyn
10-23-2014, 02:19 AM
Now that Rileys all better I'm getting sick :( this isn't fun. especially since when I get sick I get REALLY sick.

Lady
10-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Sorry to hear that Robyn,
It's that time of year here on the east coast. Bundle up, keep a good supply of vitamin C and wash your hands as much as you can as well as keep them from your face. Guess it's too late for that this time, so best drink plenty of fluids and make some homemade chicken soup.

Robyn
10-24-2014, 02:18 AM
I'm on the west coast lol but yes it is about time for every one to get a cold. I can't take vitamin C it hurts my stomach so any vitamin C I get has to come from food. I have tried many different forms of vitamin C and unless it comes from food I get intense stomach cramps. When I get sick I drink gallons of hot tea at a time it's my go-to when I am sick.

spiritbird
10-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Hope you feel better soon.