PDA

View Full Version : Visitor leaving an impression

froggij
10-09-2014, 11:27 PM
So for a while now, Dori's been making this odd squeaking noise - I thought it was a rusty hinge or something else that she was picking up, or picked up at her day-camp when I was on vacation.

BuT! today I found the source!

We have a woodpecker! I'm looking it up online, though the little guy wouldn't let me get a picture of him. I'm pretty sure he's a Downy woodpecker [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] - the audio clip of him pecking and then squeaking sounds exactly like what Dori's been doing when she squeaks at me. There's a small chance it's a yellow-bellied sapsucker, but I'm betting on the Downy. I'll have to see if I can snag a pic of him to be sure.

So here's to a winter full of woodpecker-squeaking noises...

Lady
10-09-2014, 11:42 PM
:th_biggrin: how cute Jen!

spiritbird
10-09-2014, 11:55 PM
Downey are the smallest of woodies. They are adorable.

froggij
10-10-2014, 04:24 AM
It was so cute! I really wish it would've held still for just a second, but I'm pretty sure my big lumbering form was too much for a small wild bird to handle. Not to mention that weird thing (phone) pointed at it. I'd hide too...

Mare
10-13-2014, 10:48 PM
Hopefully, you can get a pic of the little guy, I would love to compare him to what we have here in Cali. We have red-headed woodpeckers, here..and we have issues! For some reason, they are considered an endangered species but you sure wouldn't know it if you hung out with us! They love pecking holes in our wood siding of the house and garage, they love pecking on Amigo's tree, they are after the dry dog food on the deck, all day long..I have had to bring it in because they spend hours taking one kibble at a time, over to Amigo's tree, to stash it!..it really ticks Amigo OFF!

Lady
10-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Poor Amigo having to clean up after the woodpeckers! It would tick me off if my neighbor put something in my yard or house that I didn't want there as well.