PDA

View Full Version : How would you do it?

SissyCool
10-07-2014, 11:45 PM
I am building bird cages into an rv to make a traveling "animal house" for my animals. Below is a picture of the area I've designated for the cockatiels. I'm just wondering if anybody has any ideas? I picked this area for my flock of 6 tiels because of all the windows. I thought they would enjoy that. (the stuff in the pic won't be there...especially not that wire in the floor! lol) And it's big enough that I can walk into it. What wire would you guys use? What would you cover the floor and walls with? Should it be wired all the way around? There's a little "cubby hole" type area in the center above the back window...I was going to put a light in there and cover the opening with wire. (I don't want to leave it open because I don't want them nesting). I would really appreciate any input! Thought it might be fun for some of you to figure out how you would do it. Thanks so much for reading! :)

Also below is the picture of the basic measurements of the areas I've designated for the big cages...

Lady
10-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Wow, looking like a great idea beginning to form!

SissyCool
10-08-2014, 12:12 AM
Thanks. I think it could be good if it's done right. :)

Mare
10-08-2014, 12:25 AM
Hi Sissy! Welcome! Have you checked into our "New Members, Welcome" section? We would love to hear more about your birds :) This looks like a very cool project you are thinking about. I think my main concern when choosing wire would be,, it would need to small enough that they couldn't catch their heads in it,,safe if they chewed on it (not coated in toxic material) and strong enough that a parrot coundnt chew through it (I have cockatoos). I also like your plans. Would you be towing this trailer?

SissyCool
10-08-2014, 12:42 AM
It wouldn't be moved often, but yes, it's towable. The windows open, so I want to make some outdoor cages to connect to the windows, so they can go outside when it's set up. I was hoping somebody would know exactly what kind of wire would be best. I've heard of hardware cloth and chicken wire and such....just not sure which is best. Also, for covering the floors and walls...I was considering linoleum. Anybody see a problem with that?

Mare
10-08-2014, 12:59 AM
I see no problem with linoleum, easy to clean, too. I'm sorry I can't help you with the type of wire to use other than the thoughts I already posted. If I were you, I would start searching on-line for aviary supplies. I don't know where you live but I know where I'm at, I would have extra strong wire, on the outdoor side, to keep out predators,,raccoons in my area.

PlaxMacaws
10-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Actually, some linoleum products contain lead. So you might want to rethink using it, or at least make sure the stuff you are going to use doesn't. I'm sure you should be able to get an MSDS for any currently produced linoleum product to confirm the presence/absence of lead. Common sense seems to suggest that recently produced linoleum products in the US should be relatively lead-free and safe. But I've seen quite a few claims around to the contrary.

Have you considered using GAW mesh wire (as mentioned in another thread)?

SissyCool
10-08-2014, 02:20 AM
Thanks for that information on the linoleum! I will definitely check that out! As for the GAW wire, that's at the top of the list...but I'm wondering, since it's going to be used inside, if it has to be galvanized at all? Isn't that the harmful part? If so, I was really hoping somebody would have a better/safer suggestion. :)

2birds
10-08-2014, 02:30 AM
That's what I was going to suggest as well, GAW. Chicken wire I think would be too flimsy. Even if the tiels couldn't chew out, predators would be able to get in. Probably 16 gage would be good for the cockatiels maybe 14 gage. Galvanized wire is fine if it's GAW (galvanized after weld) and scrub it down with vinegar and rinse well before using it for the birds. It's the zinc that is toxic to birds but people use it with no problem. Just make sure all of the powder is washed off and any little pieces stuck on there is picked off so the birds don't pick them off and ingest them.
I would replace the screen with wire so you can open the windows for air but not let the birds out unless you want to. They would probably tear through that screen.
I didn't know that linoleum had lead in it. WOW!

SissyCool
10-08-2014, 02:40 AM
Well, the only predators that will be in the house are my dogs and cats...and while they don't generally bother the birds, I'm thinking the bottom part (maybe the bottom 2-3 ft...) of the main dividing "wall" will be solid...like plywood...to kinda make sure of that...

Mare
10-08-2014, 03:02 AM
I didn't know that about linoleum, either! Thanks, Tony! That's why we keep you around! :th_biggrin:

spiritbird
10-08-2014, 12:42 PM
In my reading stainless steel wire is the best for custom built bird cages, if one can afford it. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

SissyCool
10-25-2014, 03:45 AM
I've looked into the stainless steel, but I can't find any locally and I can't afford what I've found online. I'm actually trying to find enough old parrot cages to use...I have 2 already. If needed, I'll use those and to fill in I'll use the wire that most outdoor aviaries use and just give it the suggested vinegar scrub. Thanks again! We're working on it now, so hopefully will have it finished by next week and I'll be posting pictures! :)

Lady
10-25-2014, 04:21 AM
Awesome, It will be great to see what you came up with!

PlaxMacaws
10-25-2014, 03:05 PM
I've looked into the stainless steel, but I can't find any locally and I can't afford what I've found online. I'm actually trying to find enough old parrot cages to use...I have 2 already. If needed, I'll use those and to fill in I'll use the wire that most outdoor aviaries use and just give it the suggested vinegar scrub. Thanks again! We're working on it now, so hopefully will have it finished by next week and I'll be posting pictures! :)You're indeed welcome. I'm glad to know you're on track with the project. I'm looking forward to your photos :)

Abby
10-26-2014, 03:36 AM
Stainless steel mesh is so expensive. :( But I believe that is the only truly safe mesh to use. I've looked into building cages/aviaries before but have never ended up building anything.

SissyCool
10-28-2014, 11:50 PM
I think I've solved the problem with the wire. For my amazon, I'm going to use 2 older cages I had to make one big one. For the smaller birds (my tiels and my parrotlet) I'm using high grade hardware cloth that I'm going to scrub with vinegar and paint with rustoleum paint. I'm not really worried about the little guys because they don't chew on their cages...just mouth them a little to get around. My amazon constantly chews at hers. Have another question though. Each cage will have at least one solid plywood wall. What is the best paint or stain or whatever to use on that? Appreciate all the help!

Mare
10-29-2014, 02:44 AM
I would think that leaving it natural, no paint or stain, would be best. That's just my thoughts, I really don't have a clue what would be safe, maybe someone else does :)

plax
10-29-2014, 03:19 AM
A water-based latex paint is often recommended for bird rooms. Many stains, and especially varnishes and lacquers emit dangerous fumes for sometime after application. Some folks finish wooden objects and surfaces with beeswax - it's bird-safe and provides a nice sheen as well as certain protections.

Here's one article that addresses safe paints for birds: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

SissyCool
10-29-2014, 09:05 PM
Thanks so much! I thought of leaving it plain, but it would be hard to clean when it eventually gets "baptized" LOL I also had to make the cages smaller than I thought, but they're still fairly large! It's gonna be awesome! :)

SissyCool
10-29-2014, 10:44 PM
Here's the basic plan now. I've expanded on the original idea and made this to where if I go traveling, I can take it with me and live comfortably! If anyone sees any problems, please sing out! ALSO...Skittles is a parrotlet, Honey is a DYH amazon and there are 6 cockatiels. On the cages, those outside lines will be "wire" the other 2 are plywood and windows. Where the TV and A/C are is where a window is. The window unit A/C will be in the bottom and the top of the window will be sealed off with thick plywood and my TV is going to hang above the a/c where that plywood is. The bed is basically a shelf that's about 3 feet off the floor...under that will be the dog and cat beds...the 2 x 4s supporting it will be covered with carpet for scratching posts. ALSO on Skittles and Honey cages, they will be up off the floor about 1 1/2 feet. The "dividing wall" of the cockatiel's cage will be about 2 ft of solid plywood on bottom and then wired on top. ALSO...all the cages will have wire on top so they can climb and so I can hang things from it and there will be wire over the windows, so they can be opened on nice days and in the case of Honey the amazon, because she could easily open it if she could get to it! LOL I think that's all. Really appreciate any suggestions or critiques! :)

plax
10-30-2014, 12:18 AM
Impressive plan! What about storage for food and other supplies? The shelves and the fridge perhaps?

SissyCool
10-30-2014, 12:27 AM
Thank you! Yes, there will be an area under each cage also. (except for the cockatiels) And also shelves over the sink :)

plax
10-30-2014, 12:42 AM
Ah sounds good :)

froggij
10-30-2014, 01:07 AM
Sissy that looks so great! I can't wait to see pics when it's finished, I would love something like that, hehehe

SissyCool
10-30-2014, 01:11 AM
Thanks! It's gonna be really great! :)

jtbirds
10-30-2014, 03:04 AM
Looks like a great plan!

spiritbird
10-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Very impressive. I know you must be excited!:th_smile:

SissyCool
11-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Just wanted to say that the camper is coming along quite nicely, but we're stalled a bit because of the weather. Us southerners don't deal very well with the cold...lol

plax
11-16-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm glad to hear that your project is coming along. Your delay due to harsh weather is understandable. Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted :)

SissyCool
02-11-2015, 10:36 PM
UPDATE! It's not "quite" finished...but getting really close! Here's some pics! :)

Lady
02-11-2015, 11:00 PM
Oh WOW, looking good!

SissyCool
02-12-2015, 12:20 AM
Thanks! Coming right along! Can't wait to finish it! :)

Mare
02-12-2015, 03:25 AM
Beautiful work! I was just wondering and only because we just set up a new lighting system for our birds, (that chew every thing in sight)..are you putting in a lighting system? Maybe I missed that..?

SissyCool
02-12-2015, 04:33 AM
I'm actually putting fluorescent lights just outside the cages...so they will get the light, but no way to get to them. Also, going to run those rope lights along the top of the ceiling in many places.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, every bird cage has a good sized window for daytime lights :)

plax
02-12-2015, 05:19 AM
WOW is right! Very nice work!! You're doing a spectacular job :D. Thanks so much for sharing your progress. It's looking really great!

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Erm... have you left room for your own bed?:th_smile:

Mare
02-12-2015, 04:28 PM
You're so funny, Jean-Pierre! :). It's a bird trailer/house, silly Rabbit!!

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Ah, so they stay in the Hilton and the birds sleep in the car park. Good idea - a hotel in Devon charged us £10 a night for Casper to stay in our room with us. Lots of birds = empty bank account. :th_biggrin:

SissyCool
02-13-2015, 05:11 PM
There's a wooden "platform" between the washer/dryer and the cockatiel cage...that's a loft-type twin bed (just haven't gotten the mattress for it yet). Underneath will be a chest of drawers on one end (by the tiels) and a dog bed under the other end. You can see it here in this plan :)

SissyCool
02-13-2015, 05:14 PM
OH! We also have another camper for the humans...when we're all together. Hubby works construction jobs...so, when he's on one of those, he will be taking the "human" camper and I'll have this one for me and the critters :)

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Aha, I see there is a bed in there. I'm a clever rabbit. I think its fantastic and its a good job you didn't get an Airstream, the curves would have been a nightmare to work the cages into.

Mare
02-14-2015, 12:50 AM
I'm the silly rabbit! :). Sissy I didn't realize you were also making it for human use! That's VERY cool!!

Mare
02-14-2015, 05:52 AM
Tim is restoring our Airstream, it's ancient..1950 something and beautiful. I would love to see my birds a part of this but..no way :(

King Parrot
10-17-2015, 12:10 PM
I always use some old fridges and deep freezer to make cage of birds. These are very helpful to providing five star facilities to your bids and these are best in security measures. After a little bit alteration you can make a great cage with these items