PDA

View Full Version : How did you acquire your birds?

roxynoodle
04-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Many people here are new to me, so I figured we could use this thread as an introduction of sorts and learn more about each other and our fids.

My parents bought our first budgie, Cricket, right before I was born to keep my mom company when she went on pregnancy leave for me. A few years later we got our second budgie, and my sister named him Budgie. Budgie number 3 was Barney and I bought him when I was 14 and had him until I was 30.

After Barney passed I wanted to move up to larger parrots (not that there is anything wrong with budgies; just wanted a change after 30 years with them :) )

Rowdy, my Nanday, was something of a spontaneous buy after I met her in a pet store and she made it clear I should take her home. So I did, lol! A year and a half later I added a Blue Crown that I got from a local breeder. Briana was a sweet and wonderful bird who died suddenly from a stroke in October 2011. It was very unexpected and very hard for me and Rowdy.

Due to Rowdy becoming so depressed I felt like I needed to adopt another bird quickly and that is how Pete the zon came to live with us. I hadn't really planned to add a third bird but when I saw a rehoming ad on a forum for Merlin I decided to adopt her as well.

We are a happy flock of 3 and even though it's hard not to take in other birds, especially when they are in a sad situation, I know I shouldn't. Pete and Merlin are both older birds with a lot of vet bills and 3 attention seeking parrots, one attention seeking puppy and an attention seeking kitty have put me at my max :)

Please share your stories as well even if you are a new bird owner.

merlinsmom13
04-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Santa brought Merlin :love_heart: :th_santa3:

aliray
04-29-2013, 02:28 PM
I have had a few birds on and off since I was a child back in the dark ages. I had not had any for quite a few years now When I got to thinking about our 30th anniverary trip to spain where a lot of people have a canary on their balcony. And I had an overwhelming urge to get a canary. Along came Lucas my Spanish Timbrado Canary. About three years later the urge struck again for a small parrot. Along came my little green Quaker Sweetie Pie. Then a year later browsing on craigslist Fort meyers pets. I fell in love with a pic and along came Tiki my little female African Redbellied parrot. Then a few months later back on the same Cl pets I saw a picture again of My yellow Sided gcc who I named Chiquita. That's it my flock is now complete and I really have to work on my lack of impulse control.

mistywaterwoman
04-29-2013, 03:25 PM
I was supposed to adopt a baby white bellied caique from my sister Rhonda last summer. Her caiques had 5 eggs and she was a bit panicky over handfeeding 5 babies at once and then finding homes for them all. She asked if I wanted one and I said yes.
So I started preparing, got a cage, started buying supplies, etc. Read up on caiques and started picking out names.

Turns out only one egg was viable and actually hatched, and then my sister got really attached to him while handfeeding, and she ended up keeping him for herself! :P BUT by now I had the Birdy Bug and really wanted a bird.

I had been slightly intimidated by the idea of a caique, even though I play with them at her house all the time. I felt I might do better with a smaller bird. So I started asking loads of questions of both my bird knowledgable sisters and finally narrowed it down to a lovebird or a cockatiel.

I went to a local pet shop where I knew they had both, so that I could see them in person and "compare", to see which felt more right to me... and we ended up with two lovebirds from that very shop. They are not hand tamed, but I'm ok with that for now. I have two ancient doggies who I'm not sure I could trust with the birds if they were out, so once the pups are gone, I will start trying to see if the lovies want out of the cage time. Meanwhile, they are happy as clams to have each other and to have such a large flight cage (proportionally, lol).

And now my sister Beck just got a baby Quaker and that has got me thinking that I might want one of those someday, too... :P

aliray
04-29-2013, 03:34 PM
That would be a nice addition.

Shade
04-29-2013, 09:14 PM
I have started (and intend to complete) posting an introductory thread about each of my bird, but in a nutshell -

Piper came from a breeder who was a friends of my mom at the time. He picked me :)

Shade was a gift from my parents.

Joey was a rehome I got from a classified ad.

Petey was from a rescue.

Zuri was from a rescue.

Pixel - I had seen her in a pet store and eventually she was purchased. I met her new owner on a forum and we exchanged about her. Eventually he had to downsize his flock and he emailed me asking if I was (still) interested in her. I was.

Léa came from a breeder. I had wanted a Cape for years and the only way I could get one was going through a breeder (never saw any in need of a new home remotely close to where I live)

ShellyBorg
04-29-2013, 09:26 PM
I have had 25 years of working with parrots (working at a zoo as vol, then working for a breeder)

Spirit the TAG: I got 12 years ago looking for a amazon. He was rescue/abused

Widget the Quaker: 5 years ago watching some kids playing with some thing and figured out it was a baby bird with no feathers and unopened eyes. Went to see what they had and realized it was a parrot chick of some type. I gave them $10 for her and after a touch and go first week has had the little monster healthy ever sense.

Danny the RLA: one month, I have been looking for a Macaw when a friend pointed out his add. Say how bad he was and rescued/rehomed .

The parrotlet: Two days, now I have been wanting one forever and when a breeder offered a hand raised but left alone girl of 6 months I grabbed her! She is a little wild but warming up fast.

I have room for one more cage. Someday it will have a macaw or a African Raven sitting there.

Birdboy
04-29-2013, 10:09 PM
keiko came from an exotic bird breader, i couldnt just get keiko from a pet shop as amazon's are not common in australia (well, in my area any way) so we had an hour drive to the best bird shop ever.

alnoble89
04-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Alexis is from a breeder. Kiwi and Cookie are rehomes where the owner could no longer take care of them.

HectorIlly
04-30-2013, 04:15 AM
When I was little we had a budgie called Rocky, I hardly remember him but I do remember he accidentally ate the crusty stuff off the BBQ and died :(.

Years later when I was 10, I had a friend who had two cockatiels. They were awesome! They were friendly, said a few words and were very cute. So I begged my dad to get me one and so that's how Babe came along. Then Gilbert, then Rose, Stud, Little Dude, Bella, Twotone, Lulu, and other add ons who flew in. We also rescued a Rainbow Lorikeet at one point who we named Huey. Most of them have now died of old age. Except Stud who now resides at my grandparents house and whom I would estimate to be 15+ years. He was named Stud because all the female cockatiels were attracted to him.

My Pa loves birds too, he has a Ringneck, Harvey the Galah and Stud the Cockatiel. Once I moved out with OH we originally had a Lovebird that we found and no one claimed. She was beautiful. Unfortunately something happened with her cage and she got out. My other half came home from work just to get her as she loved him the most but as she went to fly down to us another bird got her. We were devastated.

A month later we got Hector from a breeder and now we have Illy as well :) First time Conure owners. I would love to get an Eclectus one day.

Shellybean
05-03-2013, 12:46 AM
I got my first bird, Sunny, for my 7th birthday. He was a little yellow budgie, never tame but amusing to me as a child. When I was a young teen I got Martalita, a lutino cockatiel. She was given to me by some family friends that could no longer take care of her. My mom found Coolio, my cinnamon pearl cockatiel, flying in a rain storm outside of a grocery store. We never found her owners so we kept her. She was very flighty but she did become tame for a while and I was able to handle her some. Later I got Loki, my whiteface/split to pied cockatiel from a breeder. I got him to breed with Coolio. He wasn't at all tame but I quickly trained him to come and step up and even to spread his wings. He would do anything for a sunflower seed. After getting Loki, Coolio had nothing to do with me and they bonded and tried to concieve but she ate her babies so I gave up trying to breed them. Plus she would have really HUGE eggs sometimes. My family also acquired Jakeola, a normal cockatiel from family friends. Unfortunately I cound't stand the dander they all produced and they ended up at the neighbors house. When I was 19 and I got my first job and I got Ping, my cinnamon green cheek conure, from a local breeder. She was my all time favorite bird and I loved her so much! She died unexpectidly. She just stopped eating. A few years ago I got Tikki, my sun conure. He was a blast and my daughter (who is deathly afraid of all animals) really loved him. She actually held him and let him give her kisses. She still talks about him all the time and sings songs about him. He died one night after chewing up his happy hut and strangeling on the loose strings. I'll never get a snuggle hut/happy hut again. So a few weeks ago I acquired Rizzy my turquoise green cheek from a breeder. I had to drive about 2 hours out of town to get him. I let my daughter pick him out-he's very sweet and loves to nibble everything. It still really breaks my heart to think of Ping and Tikki not being here because they were taken from me far too soon.

ShellyBorg
05-03-2013, 01:48 AM
I have room for one more cage. Someday it will have a macaw or a African Raven sitting there.

Or people find out you have room and randomly give you Senegals.......

CrazyBirdLady
05-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Most of the tiels came from breeders. Izzy was a re-home, Sierra was a rescue, Mayzie and Q-ie are my recent additions re-homed from a loving family with allergies.

Paris senegal was a re-homed baby. The people bought her on a whim and after two weeks decided they couldn't keep her.

Alex BGM was a humane purchase from a bird store. She was kept for many years in a too small cage with one usable perch and no toys. She is approximately 12.

Sprite parrotlet - total impulse buy from a pet store, but no regrets!

Sembre maxi pi was a CL re-home. I am her third home and have no idea why; she is perfect. She has some feather issues, including plucking on her left side where she had a previous rope toy injury. She is also missing about three or four flight feathers that will never come back, likely due to the injury. We are working on her feather condition with a very slowly improving diet and regular bathing.

keepsmiling
05-03-2013, 10:04 AM
In order~
Kismet was found in my backyard by my dog Heartly. It was cold and he was overweight and exhausted. I don't think he ever flew before that day. I placed an ad and got a response from a woman who said she turned him loose because she could no longer care for him.:confusion: I thanked her...:nonchalance: I have no idea how old he is.

I found Cochise on Kijiji. He looked so scared and sad in the photos. It was nearly my 50th birthday{good excuse!} and I was always interested in Hawkheads, but they are super pricey. Something in his face called to me. The guy was very difficult to deal with, but we finally agreed on a fair price, and I went to pick him up. He was kept in deplorable conditions. It took over a year to gain his confidence and see him hatch out of a new shell.:smug: He was supposedly 6 years old, but removal of his band proved he was hatched in 95'. So he is 18 this year.

Holly is the only baby I purchased. In the process though, I made a very good friend. I found her because at the time, she was selling baby redfronts for a friend. I did not have her asking price, but she stayed in contact and we became fast friends. She helped me through the entire process of raising and weaning Holly.We talk almost daily and visit when we can, to spite some distance between us.She is no longer a seller or breeder of birds. Now she owns a lovely sanctuary in south Fl. I got Holly at a show...I had the money burning a hole in my pocket. I wanted a red front, and there she was. The people I bought her from turned out to be not so nice. And, I now know how wrong it is for people to sell unweaned babies the way they do. Holly was only three months old. She was also suffering from a yeast infection. We got her well, and she is one of the loves of my life! She will be four this month.:love_heart:

Then along came Gryphon. I met the woman who owned him on another forum and was just enthralled by her cool stories about them. We also became very good friends in the process. At the time, she was breeding them but Gryphon did not want anything to do with other mousebirds. She thought he would be happier with me. So I drove down to Ft. Lauderdale to pick him up in December of 09'. He was about 2 then, so this year he is 6 years old.

wow this is a long story:o...lol...to be continued~

DQ IT
05-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Quack, TAG, was a rehome I found online. Got her in Jan 2011. She is 12 years old. I got Quack after losing Pogo who I got from a pet store in 2003; I lost him in Dec 2010.

Darwin, TAG, was a rescue. Got him in Oct 2011. He will be 15 years old in June.

Itsy, Meyer's, was a rescue. Got her in Dec 2011. She will be 7 years old in June.

Tiki, Blue-headed pionus, was a rescue. I got her in June 2012. She is about 11 years old.

Dulphinz
05-03-2013, 07:12 PM
My husband wanted to get a bird 5 yrs ago and we ended up with a silky terrier:)...which didn't work out! (He is now with my father in law). About two months ago we went into our local pet store and figured we'd look at fish and guinea pigs....we came home with Coco our 6 month old male eclectus! :). He was just the sweetest bird there, gentle and friendly and the associate confirmed he was the best little guy there. We got him a 34x40x75 cage , toys, a tabletop java tree and brought him home. I' e now been reading everything I can get my hands on to help me be the best parront I can and keep our baby happy :D. I've always loved B&G macaws so after some research I put a deposit on a baby that hatched March 30th. I can't wait for the end of July when he/she should be coming home! This little baby will complete our family!

aliray
05-03-2013, 08:49 PM
It is amazing the different ways we end up with the birds that we have

Turquoise
05-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Way back in the early '90s I got my first larger parrot. A step up from the parakeets & cockatiels I had owned in the past. He was a supposedly weaned Nanday conure I named Chuckles Nanday from a local lady who raised them. He was 3 months old at the time & it took another 5 months for me to get him completely weaned. My Mom got one of his siblings & it wanted no part of the baby formula from day one after coming home with her. From there I ventured out & got my first Amazon, a re-homed Amazon that had not been handled by his 2 previous owners. They were afraid of him & he was kept in a tiny cage more suited for a cockatiel, he was supposed to be a 3 yr. old. It took 6 months of diligent daily work first with stick training & then onto my hand to get Micky to come out of his much larger cage I had him in. He never did enjoy being held & occasionally allowed me to scratch his neck. I suspect he had been abused by some owner in his past. Around this time I also bought a Timneh African grey for my Mom. She had always wanted one. Neko was 7 yrs. old, had been a one owner bird & was the most well adjusted friendly parrot I have ever had the pleasure to meet. After about 1 1//2 yrs of living with my Mom, she sent him to live with me after she decided she didn't want to keep birds any longer. I had another Amazon by then, a re-homed Green Cheek I suspected had been a smuggled in breeder bird that was very old. The lady I got him from had her son bring him in from California & she wanted a conure to breed with her conure. This lady insisted he was a strange looking conure & would not believe me when I told her she had an Amazon. A few yrs later I went to my first bird fare, the only one ever held in a town close to me & brought home a 7 moth old male SI Eclectus I named Kakura. He was a super sweet guy.

In 2000 my hubby was laid off from a job he'd worked at for 20 yrs. when the company sold out. He decided to pursue his passion of driving an 18-wheeler over the road. I decided to go with him since my son was grown by then. Through a mutual friend I found all my parrots a home with a wonderful couple. I hand delivered them & all their cages & play perches & accessories to this couple who lived in Carlsbad, NM. I did not sell my kids or any of their possessions to them, I wanted to find the right family & place they could live& not just make a fast buck. they have been well taken care of, but I never went back to visit them. I just couldn't do that.

Fast forward to more recent times. Hubby had to quit driving the truck in '05 when our house flooded 2 weeks before hurricane Katrina destroyed New Orleans. We had to rebuild & replace everything inside of our house. I got a couple of parakeets again and was content with them until hubby saw a Green Cheek conure at the pet shop. he wanted it very badly, but I didn't like the price they wanted for it. he said we should get a larger parrot again & I went online to look at GGCs. Well, I had always wanted a Green Wing macaw since I saw my first photo of one. So not only did I look at GGCs, I looked up macaws as well. I didn't find any GWs in my state at that time, but I did look at a Catalina a breeder had & decided that was going to be our next bird. That is how I acquired Roscoe. While I was waiting for Roscoe to finish weaning, I found out he had an older brother who was born with leg disabilities. By the time Roscoe was ready to come home, Angel his brother was coming home to me too! I have not regretted getting either one and their breeder is a wonderful caring person who still wants updates on them.

Before I found out about Angel, I inquired about a baby Eclectus the same breeder was feeding. If it was going to be a male it was spoken for & if a female I was getting it. It turned out to be male, so I was next on the list for one of the 2 eggs she had in the incubator. When they hatched I had a choice between a male & a female. I chose female this time & that is how I acquired Leyla Belle, my Diva of the flock!

My Pineapple Green Cheek Conure Peta was given to me by a friend of a friend of a friend kinda' thing. Her Mom had recently divorced & had to take on extra work not giving her time to care for Peta any longer. She was 5 yrs. old & has been a total sweetheart since day one.

This past Dec, the night after Christmas I was 'window shopping' over the internet looking at what else~~Green Wing macaws of course & came across an ad on the bird breeder's site about a 3 /2 month old female baby GW that was missing part of her left wing due to her Daddy bird biting it off when she was one day old. Something about this ad peaked my interest & I considered checking about her for a couple of days. I was already on a waiting list for a baby from a breeder in my state when she has eggs later this yr. Well, once I spoke with the baby GW's breeder & saw photos of her I was hooked & that is how I acquired my new girl who has been home a little over a week, Miss Ruby Jewel! She is still trying to adjust & her breeder is still trying to adjust to not having her. Each time I email update photos & info on how she is doing she tells me it makes her cry as she still misses her bay girl. I feel so bad for Kitty, but I am very happy Ruby Jewel is home & I finally have my Green Wing!!

I do have 10 parakeets all together in a large flight cage that I have gotten at various times either through being given to me or when I saw another cute one at the pet shop. They all get along wonderful & are so enjoyable to listen to when they do their sweet sing songs all day. That sums up my flock & how they came to live with me.

jtbirds
05-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Well I cant really go I depth for all of them, but they are all rescued from different situations. There have been more that we're rescued and passed away and so on. But all in all I've never bought a baby.

keepsmiling
05-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Oh...I am sorry, I forgot to come back and finish!:redface-new: I will today.

Copper
05-08-2013, 09:34 PM
I adopted Rosie from my friends, but she was really a rescue since she was coming out a enviroment that was killing her and she was very unhealthy.

I adopted Kenji from a couple who had him for 20 years, only very unfortunate circumstances forced them to find him a new home and they were wonderful parronts.

keepsmiling
05-08-2013, 10:35 PM
In order~
Kismet was found in my backyard by my dog Heartly. It was cold and he was overweight and exhausted. I don't think he ever flew before that day. I placed an ad and got a response from a woman who said she turned him loose because she could no longer care for him.:confusion: I thanked her...:nonchalance: I have no idea how old he is.

I found Cochise on Kijiji. He looked so scared and sad in the photos. It was nearly my 50th birthday{good excuse!} and I was always interested in Hawkheads, but they are super pricey. Something in his face called to me. The guy was very difficult to deal with, but we finally agreed on a fair price, and I went to pick him up. He was kept in deplorable conditions. It took over a year to gain his confidence and see him hatch out of a new shell.:smug: He was supposedly 6 years old, but removal of his band proved he was hatched in 95'. So he is 18 this year.

Holly is the only baby I purchased. In the process though, I made a very good friend. I found her because at the time, she was selling baby redfronts for a friend. I did not have her asking price, but she stayed in contact and we became fast friends. She helped me through the entire process of raising and weaning Holly.We talk almost daily and visit when we can, to spite some distance between us.She is no longer a seller or breeder of birds. Now she owns a lovely sanctuary in south Fl. I got Holly at a show...I had the money burning a hole in my pocket. I wanted a red front, and there she was. The people I bought her from turned out to be not so nice. And, I now know how wrong it is for people to sell unweaned babies the way they do. Holly was only three months old. She was also suffering from a yeast infection. We got her well, and she is one of the loves of my life! She will be four this month.:love_heart:

Then along came Gryphon. I met the woman who owned him on another forum and was just enthralled by her cool stories about them. We also became very good friends in the process. At the time, she was breeding them but Gryphon did not want anything to do with other mousebirds. She thought he would be happier with me. So I drove down to Ft. Lauderdale to pick him up in December of 09'. He was about 2 then, so this year he is 6 years old.

wow this is a long story:o...lol...to be continued~
And here is the rest of my flock.

Yuna was listed on CL and posted on another forum. Friends brought my attention to her as she was a couple hours away, was a hawkheaded parrot, which they knew I had experience with, and she was listed with only one foot. Something about her told me I needed to help. Sure enough she was almost dead when I paid the ransom. After a stay at the vets, and several rounds of antibiotics, she is now well and the sweetest bird.

Pico came along when a family in ND needed desperately to find him a good home. Their infant son was in the hospital, diagnosed with severe allergies/asthma, and the drs' said no carpet, no pets. Pico made the flight safely, and fit right into our diverse flock.

Last but certainly not least, Elfe decided my oak tree was as good as any safe haven from the cold and scary sounds, after being tossed literally outside by her family.She was clipped, so she was going up the tree by way of vines that grow up it. I caught a glimpse of bright green and red out of the corner of my eye. Judy{greycloud) suggested I try a small crate with food. After the third day she came down to eat and did not move when I approached. I put up an ad and got an e-mail response from a woman who said her BF threw Elfe out for biting her child. She must have had some sort of guilt I figure, as she was looking in the lost and found ads, and did respond. I will never understand people.
Luckily Elfe was no worse for the wear, and is just now teaching herself how to fly since her flights have finally grown in.
And that is my wonderful, sassy, happy, loveable flock of seven.:th_heart:

jtbirds
05-09-2013, 01:36 AM
Tucker was given to me by a friend after my two original blue and golds had passed away, she had seen how much I missed them and then offered me tucker(she is an old breeder and kept some of the babies over the years and tucker was one.) I guess he was the only one truly not rescued but, her house could have been cleaner and so on and he didn't really get out much so I guess it was kinda a rescue.

Reuben sat at the rescue we worked with for over a year because he was to much of a handful and he bit everyone that wanted him, so he enjoyed me and my father and wasn't getting attention so we offered him a home and he has been good. He was given up because they didn't realize he would change when he hit maturity and they couldn't deal with him... Uneducated people.

Lars was said to be extremely aggresive and I got a call about him and a screaming blue and gold that needed behavioral work apparently. So I said sure and that I'd do it for them, they asked me to do a house call so I went over. I walked in and went to Lars first the biter apparently, at the time I had a big work jacket on it was winter and I reached in and he stepped up, the people said o well if you didn't have that jacket it would be different.... So me being myself I took my jacket off threw it on the ground and picked him right up no issues, the offered me Lars and his cage for a step price. I said no I wouldn't pay for a bird and I already had a cage. So I left they called back two days later and told me to pick up Lars... And then a month later they called for me to pick up the blue and gold but sold him from under my feet to a horrible person. Lars name was laura and he was a boy and I called him lar lar so it got changed to Lars! My German bird.

Baby girl was rescued from a very neglectful home and I believe it was borderline abuse, she started plucking after the first couple of years they cared for her then just stopped and gave them horrible food and nothing, no toys, attention, anything. I took her once we found out she hated everyone and I found out the people at the rescue were afraid of her(yea the people that acclaimed to be macaw wonder workers feared this bird) so I stepped in because I got annoyed one day and took her out of the rescue due to others stupidity and she has blossomed into a better bird then ever! Time and effort and no fear will get you everywhere with these animals, o and some respect in both ends:)

Rocky the Senegal I rescued from a lady had him in a aviary filled with larger birds then him and he was getting attacked, he now bears scares all over his face and body from the, and has a hard time trusting people on the house and birds, although he has bonded to my dyh amazon babe and I let them be as this is a huge step for rocky.

Billie the red bellied parrot was rescued from a horrible lady that called herself a rescue although she breed and hoarded up birds and sold to the most willing people. She came upto me once at a show and said that is the baby gone wrong and I hate that bird for it I walked over grabbed the carrier said then I'll take her and she said good she can die for all I care, gave her $100 like she wanted and I took Billie... Lots of behavioral issues and phobia to this day still, I believe abuse played a role...

I'll post more in days to come but this is all I can do at the moment my fingers are tired of the iPad keyboard lol!

Mare
05-09-2013, 05:00 PM
My first bird is Amigo, U2, and I had never really thought about having a bird but my friend that needed help asked me if I could take care of him, just till she could get settled, her home was in foreclosure. It took her a few years to get settled but by then Amigo had drilled his way into our hearts. It was a "gnarly" few years of us learning to live with this big, aggressive bird. We've finally come to terms with how things are and life is good!
Our Sassy Goffin's, I found on CL, she was just up the road from us. She will have been here one year, this Mother's Day. She's been a wonderful addition!

jtbirds
05-10-2013, 01:09 AM
I'll do one more tonight and more other nights my time is quite limited tonight compared to others:p, been a busy night and the birds have been very loud compared to usually so I am tired now0.0...

Marley and Molly are two Indian ring necks that we acquired about 4 years ago Molly is a female and is blue and marley is a male and green, marley is very good and even knows how to recall from line bird room to me in the back of the house which is around many corners and so on he is a great flier and responds right away when I call him to me, sadly we haven't been practicing this much lately:(. Ok well to the story we were at an auction and there sat marley and Molly almost dead, no food or water and it was extremely hot that day, we went to the people and told them about it and they didn't seem to care. So we asked if they could be out up first as we were interested they replied sure whatever makes you leave us alone. We bid on marley and Molly and got them for a ver low price but we weren't worried about the price we wanted those birds to survive and live... We got them home and gave them some food and water slowly and got them back into decent shape, they were out into quraenteene and taken to the vets ASAP. They made a great recovery with alttiel tlc and now are great. Marley is amazing, Molly is a old girl and kinda doesn't want bothered to much she prefers to stay in the cage or on top and go in on her own free will and she gets stressed easily so I let her be for the rest if her days as she is content and happy:), now marley he is my clown!

Lady
06-08-2016, 02:55 AM
Oh I think this thread is a great idea, hope to get back here over the weekend and expand on some of my experiences with birds from my past and how we acquired Lady.

I hope others join in too!

mdg1109
06-08-2016, 11:25 AM
We have parakeets that we got for my son about 5 years ago, we got 3 of them and did not realize that they would bond to each other and not with us, so we had those for awhile. We had thought about getting another bird and went to a bird store in Delaware and I fell in love with the personality of the LSC2, but did not care for the atmosphere in which the birds were kept and the store owner was not very pleasant. So my husband did some research and we found an awesome breeder in Richmond VA and we went down and met her and realized how well the birds are cared for so we put a deposit on Charlie and now he is ours (I saw ours but he is really mine, I just share him with my husband and my boys).

When we originally set out we were looking for a White Bellied Caique and my husband had his heart set on one but was nice and agreed to Charlie, well the breeder ended up having her WBC lay eggs and we are going to be bringing Peanut the WBC home with us later this month.

So we have 4 soon to be 5 birds, 2 dogs, 9 lizards, 4 fish tanks, 2 bunnies that live in our back yard and that is it. We are done, I do not think we can handle any more. So that is our how we came to have our fids story.

Christinenc2000
06-08-2016, 11:44 AM
I adopted Big Bird ( I dislike the name but hey its his ) From a Vets. A friend of mine worked there and animal control had taken him from a hoarder . BB was the only animal at the hoarders house .She mainly collected junk. He was not caged and fed bread and what ever else he could find in the house.

His first home was a elderly couple . The woman died and her husband could not handle BB because of his age. The hoarder woman asked for him and well I guess the older Gentleman thought she would take care of BB .

When I walked into the Vets BB reached out with both talons trying to get me to pick him up. Poor fella .

Anyway he is well loved now and spoiled rotten :)

PlaxMacaws
06-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Here is my account of how I acquired each of my guys: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks](8-27-14)

lolsavannahh
06-09-2016, 02:46 AM
Very long story short, Nash was in the horrible pet shop where Rudy is, and the one I'm trying to get shut down, and I had to get him or he would be in very very bad hands. I went in one day and saw him,3 months old and in a glass tank with 10-12 other baby lovebirds. He was the runt, but according to the owners the same age as the rest. A lady walked in and immediately looked at her husband, squealed and said she wanted him. It didn't take much of her talking for me to realize that this bird was going to go to a very very bad home.. I knew very little about parrots at the time, but I knew I needed to do something about it. My mom is also very animal-centered so I called her and told her I was going to buy this bird, and we would figure out what to do with it afterward ( smart, right? haha NOT).. I know it is just one bird, but I too had fallen for him. I brought him home and 175$ lighter too. I got my wisdom teeth out the next day and he helped to comfort me ( he was only 3 months so obviously he was quiet, and sweet ). I feel in love and by the time I was healed, we basically mutually agreed to keep him and I finally told my dad. He was NOT happy, but luckily he had grown up around parrots and after meeting him wasn't too mad.. I live with my father now so Nash stays with us. I am so happy that I got him, and I will have had him for an entire year coming up on the 22nd of this month! oh how time flies!
It was an impulse buy, but I did my research and man did I not know what I was getting into. Getting a parrot while you're still in high school is not a good idea, but I am grateful I have him and wouldnt trade it for the world. I have learned from my mistakes, and Nash will spend the rest of his life by my side, always(:

bill-e
06-09-2016, 12:38 PM
My first bird, an Orange Winged Amazon I purchased from a Pet store in 1976 for $179. We named her/him Berta/Bert after the woman across the street, Roberta, who babysat our first daughter.

When Berta passed in the fall of 2015 I got on Petfinder and found another OWA but I hesitated because I was enjoying my new found freedom and she was adopted out the day before I decided to adopt her. A few weeks went by and my middle daughter who is a GM of a Petco store mentioned to me that there was a former employee who had a Hawk Head Parrot and was wanting to get rid of her for personal reasons.

Hawk Head?? What the heck is that?. So I Googled it, studied up on it and called the woman and settled on a price pending the meet.

My Wife was not so excited. For 40ish years Berta would just as soon take a bite out of her than look at her. Some of that was deserved as my wife would yell at "that damn bird" to shut up. Berta had a good set of lungs. Anyway she wasn't all that anxious to get another.

So on Dec 20th, 2015 after a small argument about the bird, my wife, still not 100% on board just wanted to go see her and I was packing the cat carrier to bring her home, my wife and I set out to meet Nike. We got to the house which was a very nice place and allayed my wife's concern about the condition the bird might be in. We met the owner and peered through the cage at Nike who compared to Berta was petite. I asked if I could get her out of the cage and the woman warned me that she was pissy because she had just been clipped the previous day, but I was going to try anyway. I opened the cage and stuck my hand in the door with a "step up? and nike grabbed my hand with her beak and pulled herself aboard.

I brought her in front of my face to say hello and offer her some well deserved compliments and then asked my wife if she would like to hold her...something she was never able to do with Berta. She fearlessly (surprised me) put her hand up to Nike and said "step up" and Nike complied. You could feel the tension in the room disappear and my wife melted in Nike's gaze, they were best friends and it was a good thing I brought the cat carrier because we weren't leaving without the bird ;)

Now Nike is more a part of our family than Berta ever was though Berta still lives with us daily as I call Nike by her name ;).

Cedardave
06-10-2016, 02:03 PM
When we got our first couple birds they came from a petstore...we didnt have any other avenues.The remainder of our birds were aquired from breeders that were retiring.They are all proven breeding pairs.As they say ,one thing opens the door to another.We ended up with a number of rescues that had been bounced from home to home and were in pretty bad shape.Several were only with us a couple years before years of neglect by their previous families took them from us.We are now at our capacity in our rescue,pet,and breeding programs.Wouldn't change anything.The rescues we have and those that have passed have opened our hearts to the love of all manner of birds.Our breeding pairs are fabulous to share the experiance of the cycle of creating new life and quality pets for families.Our pets(just not breeders..they are all really pets)enhance every moment of our lives.

Lady
06-11-2016, 12:15 AM
I've had quite a few birds pass through my life, but Lady came to us through a pet store. My husband and I went to look for a dog at a neighborhood pet store. We went and looked at the puppies and kittens but when we saw the birds in the cages we walked over to them, looking and talking to each of them. Some were in cages and some were out of the cage. When we got to Lady's cage she was very friendly and came close to get a look at us. By this time a clerk came over to us and of course we asked questions. Somewhere along the line the clerk took Lady out of the cage and let us hold her. If memory serves me right Lady hung upside-down for my husband and that was all it took. He didn't have "bird experience" but he loved animals. He knew at that point I wanted her to come home with us and agreed, so we brought her home with her cage, food and toys. That is the first time (and last) I ever had an overdraft.

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-11-2016, 09:26 AM
We rescued Casper by tricking my mother into going to live in a care home and selling her house to fund it. When the money runs out, if she reaches 100 or they put the fees up too much, we'll buy her a one way ticket to Switzerland. :)

The Pinkertons
06-11-2016, 09:26 PM
15 years ago I was in the Garden Tending to the Lilly Pond...

I felt a gust of breeze directly overhead. Low and Behold ! I looked over to the waterfall and their was a Beautiful Pink Cockatoo perched on the branch of my Dwarf Japanese Pine Tree!

I walked over to him and he flew on my shoulder. Fast forward 15years later same thing happened again. That's how I acquired my Pair of MM2S...Believe It or Not !!!

:giggle:

P.S... I'm still waiting for a Bonded Pair Of Gang Gang Cockatoos to Show-Up !

:breeders: