PDA

View Full Version : Who oh why not again.

Minamommy
09-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Those of you that have been through my trials and tribulations with Mina I do appreciate it more than you can know. Mina is very sick again!! Throwing up, diarrhea, tired, wanting to sleep all day really. My normal AV makes you drop your bird off and pick them up hours later. I didn't have time for that nor did I need her that stressed. She was audibly panting for just the car ride. So with her normal AV moved away I got another one at this closer vet she normally does horses but WOW, she was great with Mina. She has a serious fungal infection. She is on Diflucan 0.25 twice a day for three days then once a week. They want to hit it hard at first. My question is why does this keep happening? What am I doing so wrong? Her cage is immaculate. Not just cleaned with poop off but also I then wipe her grill with grapefruit seed extract. Once a month a sterilize her cage. Her food and water dishes are always cleaned with GFS. They are sterilized every week. Cage paper changed daily. I just don't get where it's coming from!!! I keep her Harrison's in the freezer. The vet said no more wacky Mac
I'm just so upset and feel guilty because I'm suppose to protect her and feel like I haven't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

plax
09-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Oh Kim, I'm so sorry to hear about Mina's illness. In some cases it seems impossible to determine how a bird has developed a fungal infection. Sometimes an infection stems from yeast that's already present in a bird's system. Many seemingly healthy birds harbor yeast organisms within their digestive tracts. Such organisms often remain dormant throughout a bird's life. Unfortunately, however, sometimes all it takes is the weakening of a bird's immune system (from a bout of stress or from another illness) to incite existing yeast organisms to activate. Antibiotics can also cause yeast to grow rampantly. And of course a compromised immune system makes a bird extra vulnerable to fungal infections. Zaf has had budding yeast show in his fecal gram stains over the years. Thankfully he has never become ill from it.

I certainly can't see that you're doing anything wrong, Kim. Sadly, illness from yeast may simply emerge and vanish as the strength of a bird's immune system fluctuates. Try the Diflucan regimen and hopefully Mina will recover nicely. I'm sad for you and Mina... neither of you needs this! :(

Here are some sources of information on Candida yeast:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Please keep us updated about Mina!!

Mare
09-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Oh, no..I'm so sorry to hear this. Holy Moly, god knows you've been through it with baby girl :(. Amigo is a super strong bird but even he got sick. It is scary. Don't blame yourself, Kim. I hope she pulls through this and becomes stronger, builds a stronger immune system. :th_hug8:

Minamommy
09-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Thank you so much you guys. Thanks for the links Tony. I'm praying my baby girl fights this off. I think this time it's going to work since the vet said she bumped it up and is going stronger with Diflucan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lady
09-19-2014, 12:03 AM
Oh boy, it is so difficult when they are sick and I too think you can't take the blame. We do the very best we can and life takes its course. Try not to stress yourself over it, and I know it is easier said then done. But they know when we are stressed so it doesn't help either of you. Keeping you both in prayer.

Macaw Lover
09-19-2014, 03:00 AM
I would stop using that GSE stuff as I really don't believe it does a thing to kill anything off. Someone on another forum (which is where I learned so much from) several years back talked to someone at a company and asked questions regarding the disinfectant properties of the stuff. The guys answer basically is that he would not be using it as a disinfectant. He did not want to say it out right because they sold a lot of the stuff and that would be cutting off his nose despite his face, but that was the gest of things. I know, so many people swear by the stuff but I think right now I would stop using that stuff and use something else.

Try F10SC, that stuff kills off a lot more stuff and the SC one is more potent and kills off more nasties vs just the plain F10. When you put it on you only leave it on for a max of 5 minutes and then rinse the heck out of it.

I would dump any rope things, any leather type toys, paper things, only keep things that can be disinfected. You need to get rid of any surfaces that the fungus can be living on and she is in contact with.

I so hope you can get a handle on this and it be eliminated.

spiritbird
09-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Coming from one that is currently treating gastric yeast I can give you some advice. Has your bird had a gram. stain of the crop and had the droppings tested for yeast? Many of the products just are not effective to kill the yeast fungus. Diflucan and Nystatin alone are two of those products. They may help decrease symptoms but not rid of the yeast. Apple cider vinegar is another one of these products. If your bird tests positive for yeast go for the amphitheater B. It is an antifungal and treatment is usually for 30 days with two doses a day. Then the droppings are tested 10 days after this med is stopped. Yeast can be fatal to a bird so please see an avian vet. When it gets into the lungs it is called Aspergillosis and the amph. B can be nebulized at that point. Best of luck and healing for your bird is on the way to you.

plax
09-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Thanks for that, Dianne. One note, though:

When it gets into the lungs it is called Aspergillosis and the amph. B can be nebulized at that point.My information is that Aspergillus (Aspergillus fumigatu) is a mold organism. Whereas Avian Gastric Yeast (Macrorrhabdus ornithogaster) is a yeast organism. I don't know that AGY can't somehow make a bird more susceptible to Aspergillosis, however. Perhaps by weakening the immune system, since Aspergillus spores are common in many environments.

Below is a good article on common avian fungal diseases:

Minamommy
09-30-2014, 05:36 AM
Wanted to update everyone on miss Mina. Well she is being a real blister. Soooo that means she is all well and good. She is back to a normal cockatoo. She is happy running around,eyes are bright,talks constantly. Wants to help mommy ALL the time. She was and still is on Diflucan. Her whole cage has been washed with mangosteen disinfectent. It kills everything. I kept her rope perch but sprayed it real good with the cleaner and left it dry. If she has another flare up everything goes! Possibly even the cage. For now she is heathy happy gaining weight again. Thanks every one. The links were a big help.

plax
09-30-2014, 06:40 AM
I'm so glad that Mina is back to being herself, Kim :D. I've been wondering and worrying about her. Thanks for the update!

2birds
09-30-2014, 02:29 PM
:th_yah: Glad to hear she is feeling better

froggij
09-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Kim I'm so glad to hear Mina's doing better. Hugs to both of you, and I'll be here hoping she doesn't get sick again, but it sounds like you're doing a great job at preventing that as much as you can.

Lady
10-01-2014, 01:30 AM
:woohoo-dancing-bana and :th_cheer:

This is great news! :youthewoman:Kim, keep up the good work!

spiritbird
10-01-2014, 06:10 PM
According to my avian vet Amphotericin B (an antifungal) is the treatment of choice for any fungal infection in a bird. My birds are into their third week now on this medication. Nystatin or Diflucon may be added to Amph. if necessary. That will be our next step if the analysis of droppings is still positive 10 days after medication is finished.

Tony About the Aspergillus. You are correct in that it is from mold in the lungs. My vet was speaking of yeast fungi in the lungs, sorry for not being more clear.