PDA

View Full Version : where all do you take your bird??

shelbyrenee1329
04-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Where all does everyone take your birds?
Do you take them on car rides, walks, pet store, to work...?

shelbyrenee1329
04-28-2013, 05:56 PM
or better yet where is it ok or safe to take your parrot??

keepsmiling
04-28-2013, 06:06 PM
It is ok to take your parrot in a crate, in a harness,carrier, PAK-O-Bird, etc wherever NO other parrots are or go.No Pet stores. Or strange dogs.
If I go to a bird mart{I shop online mostly} I strip, and wash all of my clothes, even my shoes, and anything I bought.

keepsmiling
04-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Oh, and I work from home, so yeah, they are at work with me.:th_pinklol2:

Kalidasa
05-09-2013, 10:18 PM
My conure is still clipped from when I adopted her, so she can go with me on the porch or back deck, and she never tries to leave my shoulder. I did get an aviator harness which I plan on trying out in time. She's not bothered by it at all, as I started wearing it as a bracelet.
All my birds (3) get outside every time weather permits locked securely in they're cages. (Outdoor cages)
I haven't let my conure go on my shoulder outside for a few weeks now, and I will not be doing it again without a harness, which will take as long as it takes (her time). :th_heart:

Shellybean
05-09-2013, 11:11 PM
I have taken my conure on short road trips a few times and outside although I do worry about cats in the neighborhood so I've been hesitant to take him outside lately. If they're comfortable and travel securely I think you can take em just about anywhere. I totally agree with Carole though. Don't take your bird to a pet store or where there are other birds/animals that can cause harm to your bird or make it sick. Rizzy enjoys a nice car ride so long as I got some tunes for him to chatter to. I put a few toys in his travel cage, some food and water and off we go so long as weather permits.

Pinkbirdy
05-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Do you put a harness on your bird ?

Mare
05-10-2013, 12:53 AM
Amigo loves to go on walks with me and the dogs. We'll walk down to the lower ponds, other end of property, and back. He'll fly from tree to tree to my shoulder then back to tree but he follows us. Sometimes I'll set on a downed tree, just to take a breather and he'll land on me then, poke around in the grass for awhile.
The Sassy girl won't accept a harness and due to her size, (and ding-battiness), I would be afraid to try and teach her to fly freely, like Amigo. Other than going to the vet and out to the outdoor cage, in her carrier, she doesn't get to travel much.

jtbirds
05-10-2013, 12:55 AM
My birds all pretty much all trained except a few to do educational outreachs with people, we go to events all over and educated people and let them hold our birds(they use hand sanitizer and so on though) and we go out and do this 50+ times a year I'd say so they go out to quite a few places with me, as well they go on walks and car rides and so on. My guys are pretty well socialized for all of these types of things and really enjoy it, it has even stopped my one plucker to slow down slightly! I do take them to some pet stores but without birds and under certain restrictions against other animals being around.

I've been doing this for years and must say before people jump the gun and try to take the birds out and do what I and many people do is to take your time and socialize and learn about your bird and understand him to the best of your potential. I never just take a rescue and throw them into a show environment and say get used to it. There is a weaning like process to go through so they are comfortable and enjoy it.

ShellyBorg
05-10-2013, 02:03 AM
My TAG has gone to the fair, lumber stores, pet shops, feed stores, park, out door restaurants and just about anywhere we can.

JerseyBella
05-15-2013, 02:32 PM
We will go for a walk accasionaly, or a trip to the farmers market. We use a pac-o-bird.

Debra
05-15-2013, 04:15 PM
We take Lucy out on drives when we go pick up a burger for supper. We live in the country so it's a 15 minute drive each way and a special treat for all of us.

buddingtwigs
05-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Gilbert goes in the yard with me either in his harness or occasionally in his travel cage. He has spent a couple weekends on Long Beach Island with me, preparing him for the summer when i spend weekends there. He rides in the crate he flew here in (he was shipped by Continental and was in this carrier for shipping, and it is perfect for the car, with the slot for the seat belt to keep him secured). Gilbert has done small neighborhood walks with me, to the park, but not in the downtown area yet. He absolutely loves being outside on a nice day with me, but generally i keep him with me when i can really pay attention to him because i'm not comfortable with him outside without my full attention.

Casper's 2nd best friend
05-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Hello everyone, my first post on preciselyparrots.
Casper loves to travel in the car, usually hanging upside down in his cage and woofing. Probably because he used to go in the car with my parent's dog.
Margaret takes him out in the garden to get some sunshine and he is getting quite a fan club of students from the local college and people who are on the top deck of the buses that stop outside our house. Indoors, she is familiarising him with his flight harness which is taking quite some time as we don't want to put him off wearing it.
We have just bought another yacht and it is our intention to take Casper away for weekends in his travel cage if he enjoys it.
Does anyone have any experience of boating with parrots? So far the only advice I have found on t'internet is to make sure his perch is aligned fore and aft.

Honesty
05-17-2013, 11:14 PM
hello Jean-Pierre and :pp_welcome:Thankyou for joining us. Its lovely to see you here:)

I cant give you any advice on the yacht situation, but hopefully, someone else may be able to help you with that question.

ShellyBorg
05-18-2013, 03:53 AM
Hello everyone, my first post on preciselyparrots.
Casper loves to travel in the car, usually hanging upside down in his cage and woofing. Probably because he used to go in the car with my parent's dog.
Margaret takes him out in the garden to get some sunshine and he is getting quite a fan club of students from the local college and people who are on the top deck of the buses that stop outside our house. Indoors, she is familiarising him with his flight harness which is taking quite some time as we don't want to put him off wearing it.
We have just bought another yacht and it is our intention to take Casper away for weekends in his travel cage if he enjoys it.
Does anyone have any experience of boating with parrots? So far the only advice I have found on t'internet is to make sure his perch is aligned fore and aft.

The closest I get to this is taking my TAG kayaking, he tries hard to sit on my paddle.....

Chicky
05-29-2013, 09:32 PM
I would love to have a pak o bird to take my boys out, but I can't seam to find a supplier in the UK and I think it would be very expensive to get one from the states. I do have a friend on the internet that has a blue and gold macaw, and she has a bird stroller that she takes him out in, well cool :)

tiffnmango
06-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Mango loves going outside with me. He is always on his harness when we are out for long periods of time or I'm going somewhere he might get spooked. He has been to the drive thru at the bank, he has been to college classes with me (being an animal science and agriculture major gave me some freedom). He still frequents my old professors offices as they all love him dearly. I try to keep him socialized to prevent too many jealous habits from forming. He, of course, goes to the vets office. Sometimes I just take him with me when running errands around town that don't require too much.

He also has moved to another state and back with me. That was an adventure as he gets carsick on long rides, but let me tell ya ginger works wonders in settling his stomach!

I've also taken him on a bicycle ride (harnessed). He loved it!

tiffnmango
06-04-2013, 10:24 PM
The closest I get to this is taking my TAG kayaking, he tries hard to sit on my paddle.....

I've been wondering if I could take Mango with me but I wasn't sure how he would handle it! Did you do anything to "train" him?

Blancaej
06-05-2013, 01:26 AM
Wow Tiffany Mango has been everywhere. I think that is great! Can help ya with kayaking advice though!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

tiffnmango
06-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Thought I'd share some of Mango's adventures!!

Mango at college:
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mango in the backyard:

Mango at my younger brother's football game:

This was a class I taught about parrots to 4-H'ers:

Here are just a few to get y'all started. I'm in the process of transitioning to a new computer so my pics are everywhere right now!

Turquoise
06-07-2013, 05:00 AM
My goodness, Mango is a lucky guy! He gets to go to such wonderful places. He does look to be having lots of fun. :th_biggrin:

Thanks for sharing these photos. Keep them coming, they are great!!:cool:

DistinctiveFeather
06-07-2013, 05:46 AM
I take Darcy to the store, to the park, to friends' houses (I give them a teflon warning beforehand now), etc. He's been to my work, but not while I am actually working. He's gotten to be a big ham!

DistinctiveFeather
06-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Club meeting at the college: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

In-N-Out (don't worry, this doesn't happen often): [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Bike ride: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Hiking (wings are clipped): [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

In a sage bush: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Macawfancy
06-07-2013, 09:20 AM
We take our BTM to an assisted living home for the elderly, he just loves the attention and the residents love to see him.

Lee11
06-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Rico comes with me to stay at my friends apartment when she goes away every so often. He travels in his pet carrier and loves the short subway trip. He also gets a lot of attention when we are walking through the streets.
I was a bit worried when I got him about taking him out but from the very first trip he was super well behaved...not a squeak...and settled in his new environment immediately.
I have been thinking of getting him a harness....just a little concerned about how he will take to it....

Blancaej
06-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Quincy has gone to visits to grandma's (my mom's :D) and my husbands best friends house when we go away on vacation. He's been to the store with me quite a bit.

Savannah has been to the store and outside the house on her harness.

I took both of them to my daughters 1st grade class this past Tuesday!

mrgoogls
06-10-2013, 06:34 PM
I was just about to make a thread asking the same thing. hahahaa. I am getting a harness later this week, so hopefully I can take cooper to more places. also, how do you know if you can bring a bird to a store? like do you just walk in with them??? hahaha. I would love to see other peoples faces XD. what happens if they kick you out(because of the bird that it), where do you put them while u finish shopping? also, how do you keep them from pooping on things(if on harness not carrier). I doubt anyone wants bird poop in their store!

Pinkbirdy
06-11-2013, 01:39 AM
I was just about to make a thread asking the same thing. hahahaa. I am getting a harness later this week, so hopefully I can take cooper to more places. also, how do you know if you can bring a bird to a store? like do you just walk in with them??? hahaha. I would love to see other peoples faces XD. what happens if they kick you out(because of the bird that it), where do you put them while u finish shopping? also, how do you keep them from pooping on things(if on harness not carrier). I doubt anyone wants bird poop in their store! You live near me and I just don't see birds around here ,let alone in a store. I think this is more in the southern states [unless someone knows otherwise]. I saw pictures of a member on a forum had . His macaw was at Walmart ,Lowes,on a gulf course ,rowboat and camping [I loved it] There was another guy that moved here from Florida .He said 9 out of 12 homes had birds . You would see them all together at outdoor cafes [can you imagine] I think were missing out . I would love to do a meet and greet bird park day.:)

Blancaej
06-11-2013, 01:44 AM
Terri, what part of upstate ny do you live, if you don't mind me asking. I only live 20 minutes from Ny state!

Pinkbirdy
06-11-2013, 01:59 AM
I live in Clifton springs .But Im near Canandaigua or Rochester [if you have heard of them ]

Blancaej
06-11-2013, 02:03 AM
Yes Rochester is aways from me. My sister lives in. Groton (near Ithica). Her mother in law lives in Rochester. :)

Pinkbirdy
06-11-2013, 02:11 AM
Cool that's close .Ive always wanted to take Harlow for pictures at Tahanic [sp?] falls in Ithica. They have the most beautiful waterfall .Do you know of people around you that have birds in your area?

Blancaej
06-11-2013, 11:03 AM
No not really. I have one friend that has a couple of birds. I think a pionus & lovebird. But that's it. I am about an hour & 15 min. From Glens Falls NY. :)

mrgoogls
06-11-2013, 02:19 PM
thanks for the reply Terri! that sucks, want to move down south with me :D haha. i think it would be great to meet up but rochester is like an hour and a half away from me(and i bought cooper there!!!) plus im only 14 so it is hard getting there hahaha. so thanks anyways i guess :P

weco
06-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Where all does everyone take your birds?
Do you take them on car rides...?

No, mine usually ride inside...this time of year, it's usually cooler.....

jtbirds
06-12-2013, 12:12 PM
O weco you can always come up with something;)

Casper's 2nd best friend
07-31-2014, 01:38 PM
Hi All
Thread revival time

Casper really enjoys being on the boat

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
Casper the navigator ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) by DSdriver ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]), on Flickr

We have his travel cage strapped down for when we are sailing and have noticed that every time we change tack and the boat leans the other way he turns around on his perch.

Mare
08-02-2014, 02:17 PM
How cute is that?! Casper is such a good boy, he likes to keep his balance, huh? Wow! It's amazing that all your fine wood is still intact!

josiesmom
08-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Josie has been to pet stores and no one has ever said anything bad about her being inside. She does attract a crowd! She also likes to go for ice cream and my son's baseball practices. She has also gone to school. She is harness trained so she goes everywhere in that. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

jtbirds
08-02-2014, 10:46 PM
My guys go out to many educational outreaches and anywhere they can really!

froggij
08-04-2014, 10:56 PM
I've taken Orsino cross-country. He moved in with me when we lived in Los Angeles, and came out to Missouri with us, so he's been a lot of places he probably shouldn't have been. I took him to the Grand Canyon (in a travel cage), he loved it. He watched the big birds soaring through the canyon and started falling asleep in the cooling desert night with the wind blowing through his crest feathers. It was adorable. The whole five-day trip out, he sat in my passenger seat on top of his cage, looking out the window as I drove and sang, and occasionally gave him spray-bottle baths.

I also take him to the park when it's not horrible weather, which isn't too often on a day that I have off. It's a large state park with a lot of woods and a small grassy area with an even smaller beach adjacent to a decent lake. He loves sitting in the car with me listening to the other birds, and there's a hiking trail that I've taken him down before with a wooden bridge at the midpoint of it, where we just sit and chill together and listen to nature. He loves taking car rides with me, it freaks anyone out who sees him though, while he's sitting on my dashboard or shoulder. My other two don't do well in the car, so it's just safer not to take them, so they don't freak out, but he's really great, he loves to travel. One of the many reasons why we get along so well together.

Luthien
09-08-2014, 06:08 AM
Phoenix goes for car rides, to parades, to schools, lots of nursing homes, colleges, work. Usually I'm busy with him so I don't have many pictures

This is him in the car going to a nursing home yesterday though. :)

Minamommy
09-12-2014, 05:33 AM
I love to see everyone has their harness on their birds outside. Mare I know Amigo is a special case. I just don't want anyone to lose their special baby because they think clipped wings will keep them safe. ( a box fan on low lifted Mina and moved her 15 feet into another area of our house, wind could do the same).

I take Mina in the car in her Wingabego on car rides she as two fronts. If we are planning on stopping she has a harness on then I lanyard her before she gets out. We've gone for ice cream yep she tasted it loved it. When I take her to the pet store I put the full plastic front on it for more protection. Push her through in a cart. Those wingabegos are heavy. I'm looking for a stroller so we can go for a walk. I agree I've wanted to take her to the grocery store already to shop for her fruit and see what someone would do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk