PDA

View Full Version : Sending Terri lots of love

kendrafitz
08-11-2014, 08:59 PM
I just wanted to put up a post sending Terri hugs and love.

Harlow, her beautiful macaw passed away. I know Terri did everything humanly possible to save her. Unfortunately, Harlow's illness overtook her, despite all Terri and the vets at Cornell did.

I know Terri isn't on much these days, but I also know how much we all care about her and her flock. So I thought everyone would want to know and some extra love sent her way is never a bad thing.

Fly free beautiful Harlow. You were very lucky to have such a loving family and they were lucky to have you.

Mare
08-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Oh, noo..I'm so sorry to hear this! Lots of love being sent Terri's way :th_heart::th_hug8: Please let her know how sorry I am. She is a great keeper of care for these lost souls..

jtbirds
08-12-2014, 12:05 AM
Sorry for this enourmous lose terri.. harlow was a beautiful being and so are you. Just know harlow will visit often in other states..( I believe in rebirth:)) Much love to you and your flock/ family:(..

PlaxMacaws
08-12-2014, 12:54 AM
This is immeasurably heartbreaking news, Kendra :'(. I know that Harlow was such a special and loving Macaw and that Terri absolutely adored her! And after her loss of Rocky in April, it's just beyond devastating :th_shakehead:. The mere thought of losing one of my guys is so horrifying to me that I can't imagine the pain Terri must be feeling right now :(

I don't know whether the separate passing of Harlow and Rocky were somehow related, but I'm so hoping the rest of Terri's beautiful birds remain safe!

Terri, if you should read this, please know that I'm so terribly saddened by your tremendous loss :(. You've suffered an incredibly terrible turn of events by losing those two wonderful birds within a very short time. Please accept my heartfelt condolences :upset:. You're definitely in my thoughts! Many hugs to you :th_sadhug:

kendrafitz
08-12-2014, 01:14 AM
Tony - from what I understand Rocky and Harlow's passing were unrelated. It has just been a terribly hard year for her family.

PlaxMacaws
08-12-2014, 01:25 AM
Tony - from what I understand Rocky and Harlow's passing were unrelated.I see. Thanks Kendra.

It has just been a terribly hard year for her family.You are so very correct on that :'(

Pinkbirdy
08-12-2014, 02:28 AM
Thanks guys [Im in shock and disbelief]. I freaked out thinking it was something I was doing [because of Rocky] .I talked extensively with Cornell [and it was unrelated] . You know how horrible I felt about Rocky [my lack of going Psycho so he would be seen]. He basically had a heart attack when they were incubating him [he was too weak]. Cornell knows to warm them up and calm them down before they do anything. Note to everyone [you can lose your bird if they don't follow that technique] . So be ready to question them on it. Harlows problem was her first year of her life she came down with something that mirrored chlamydia. They treated it and she was better for awhile . In July she started throwing up [I raced her to Cornell].I was sure it was what Rocky had [but they were leaning towards her previous problem]. I guess it can stay in birds systems sometimes [and she had a flair up] . She had every test done there except PDD. They started treating her with what worked before .I worked closely with 2 doctors and was hand feeding her around the clock. We tried many things [but nothing was working]. We thought the Doxycycline was making her to sick to eat we gave her a break.We talked about PDD and had her on something called Meta [something]. Last weak she was bad [and I was off to Cornell [she was so weak. ] It was like she was almost waiting for me [I picked her up and it was like she lost all her motor skills. We raced her there [she died it had spread to her brain] . I didn't want the autopsy done [the thought of them doing more to her was umbearable] . They were fine with it [ I wanted to bring her home :(]I was like how did she get this ?[when know one else had it. They thought It was PDD and could have gotten it from her parents. Birds can carry PDD and never get sick from it . If it develops their is not a cure but medicine that can prolong their life. Of course their is concern with the rest of my flock and we moved Harlow away from them and cleaned everything. Thanks so much guys Im in tears . You know how human like they are . She was the most bonded to me of my flock, She paved the way to show me how great Macaws are. Tony its so quiet here going from 3 Macaws to one [and JT I know I will see her again :( }

plax
08-12-2014, 03:21 AM
Terri... thanks for explaining what happened. I can certainly imagine how the noise pattern must have changed in your home... it makes me tear up just thinking about it :'(. I'm so sorry that happened to sweet Harlow :(. And I still feel horrible about Rocky's passing as well :(.

The "meta" substance was likely Metacam. It's an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug). Zaf was on it while recovering from his broken leg. And if what Harlow had was in fact Chlamydia, it would be Psittacosis (Chlamydia psittaci or Chlamydophila psittaci), not PDD. PDD (Proventricular Dilatation Disease) is believed to be an evolved form of the Avian Bornavirus (ABV), which, as you've mentioned, is virtually incurable. Psittacosis can be terrible but it has a cure potential at least. However, Psittacosis can be easily transmitted to humans... whereas PDD cannot.

For what it's worth, here is a description of Psittacosis from one web source:

What is psittacosis?

Psittacosis is an infectious disease usually transmitted to humans from birds in the parrot family, turkeys and pigeons. Birds in the parrot family, or psittacines, include parrots, macaws, budgerigars (parakeets), and cockatiels. The disease is caused by a bacteria called Chlamydophila psittaci.I fully understand that you couldn't bear to deal with the necropsy after this hugely painful experience and what poor Harlow had to go through :(. But it might be a good idea to confirm what the pathogen infecting Harlow in fact was (if you can) to be sure that you are taking the correct steps for protection of your other birds. Psittacosis (Chlamydia psittaci) can be quite dangerous when present within an avian living environment.

As I said, I can't imagine the degree of pain you're feeling. Please be strong, Terri!

Pinkbirdy
08-12-2014, 11:10 AM
When they thought it was Chlamydia . The rest of my flock was put on Doxycycline [in their water] as a precautionary . Im aware of how contagious this is . But it turns out to be not what she had.

jtbirds
08-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Terri I am going to say from a lot of experience with Pdd in birds that this is what it kinda sounds like. I have dealt with birds, died with birds and handled alot of birds with pdd. PDD is something out of our control and only effects certain genotypes and can be from birth and so many more reasons. If it was that do not be scared for your birds as it isn't something we can stop. PDD is horrible, I have known mated pairs where one dies from PDD and the other lives without anything the rest of its life. If you need more info just ask..

again I am soo sorry for your loss.

Pinkbirdy
08-12-2014, 11:59 PM
That's how I understood it JT. Some birds can carry it and never develops. Theirs no cure for it [only making them comfortable.] As for the rest of my flock [I can only hope for the best.]

2birds
08-13-2014, 03:23 AM
Terri, I am so sorry to hear about Harlow. I know you'll miss her with all of your heart.

headfeathermistress
08-22-2014, 03:14 AM
I am so sorry for your loses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk