PDA

View Full Version : Help!

NeedHelp!
08-03-2014, 08:28 PM
My Bird Is pretty old 6 years maybe But he is so Picky he hates my whole family i want him to be nice and play and sit with me but he just holds his mouth open like he is hissing i need help i want to have fun with him so if you know anything please tell me

PlaxMacaws
08-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Hello Bob... Birds are individuals. Some are friendly to everyone, while others are only friendly to one or two family members. And there are as well birds who don't seem interested in being friendly toward anyone at any time. Importantly, you can't force a pet bird to like all family members. Based upon your Cockatiel's behavior, it's clear he's not comfortable within the setting you've introduced to him. It sounds as if he's going into defensive mode, either because he doesn't trust some of the people he's around, or because he doesn't trust the overall situation.

That said, I would recommend leaving your bird alone in his cage for a few weeks. Let him become familiar with his environment and with those around him from afar before attempting to handle him and have him near others. If you don't allow him to adapt to his environment (including to those in your home) at his own rate and without feeling that handling is being imposed upon him, he may well develop a permanent hatred of being handled. Psittacine birds are quite sensitive and may sustain emotional damage from being forced into uncomfortable situations... SO, please cut him a bit of slack for a while and see how that works.

Let us know how your Cockatiel does and whether you have further questions.

spiritbird
08-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Cockatiels are normally very friendly birds. I also suggest an avian vet visit to rule out any medical issues because this is not normal behavior.

kendrafitz
08-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Hi Bob - has your bird always been with you or is he a new addition?

The way you describe his mouth sounds like he is stressed. Birds open their mouth and breathe like that when they are stressed or hot. So it may not be that he hates your family, just that he is scared or overwhelmed. A vet visit is also a great idea.