PDA

View Full Version : Meet Bonnie & Clyde

MissAT
08-02-2014, 11:50 PM
I already posted in the New Members forum and told the story there of how I got Clyde (the handsome blue boy in the pic below), but I'll briefly recap here. He was frequenting my neighbor's outdoor bird feeder for about a week last summer, and finally, their cat got him and brought him in the house. She called me, and I ended up taking him in. I had planned on keeping him single and trying to tame and bond with him, but he seemed lonely, so I bought him a girlfriend (the very beautiful Bonnie!).

Since I work at home, I'm able to spend a lot of time with them. While I'm working, their cage door is almost always open, and they spend most of their time on the curtain rods seemingly surveying their little kingdom. When the weather's fine, I wheel their cage onto the front porch for several hours a day to give them some fresh air and natural light. I started out feeding just an ordinary seed mix that I got at the pet store, but then was told that was not ideal and that pellets were better, so I switched them over (sloooo[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]). I did not have any luck in getting them to eat fresh foods, but then I started smashing up the fruit or veggie and sprinkling millet on top, and eventually they would eat some fresh stuff. Their favorite seems to be grapes and tomatoes, but I'm never sure how much they really eat and how much they just throw around.

I'd be really interested in what and how others feed their budgies. The pellets I can get locally are Zupreem fruit blend.

Pinkbirdy
08-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Very pretty birds :)

Mare
08-03-2014, 01:04 AM
I'm sorry MissAT, I don't know the first thing about budgies except your's are awfully cute and they make the sweetest noise, music to my calloused ears, (mine are cockatoos)! :). I would suspect that they would be like most birds, a varied diet that they won't eat today but may try next week. I have a cockatiel, Chip, and he LOVES brown rice with a side of lettuce. I cook up some brown rice, once a week, keep it in the fridge for all my birds, it's kind of a staple in their diet.

plax
08-03-2014, 02:18 PM
You have some very nice looking budgies there, MissAT... Bonnie & Clyde indeed make an attractive couple! I too enjoy the sounds budgies make :). I used to keep them when I was younger and I miss their company.

froggij
08-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Have you tried Broccoli? Orsino (granted he's a cockatiel) goes nuts for the stuff. It seems like anything that looks like sprouts on the end (since broccoli has those little sprout ball looking tips) he goes wild for. I steam it for him on occasion, and leave it plain. I have a specialty bird store in my area and I also get a veggies and greens mix that's dried and put into small bits so you can just mix it in with their regular food, that's the most veggies my birds will eat, I know it's not as healthy for them as regular fresh but it gets them a little start, and it's designed for smaller breeds.