PDA

View Full Version : Hahns macaw

josiesmom
07-26-2014, 09:08 PM
A friend needs to rehome her hahns macaw and we are considering taking him in. I know nothing about this type of bird. He is 9 years old and his person has cancer and can't take care of him anymore. Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.

Mare
07-26-2014, 11:07 PM
Wish I could help, Anita, no macaw experience here but I have read from others that they can be a great bird. Have you met him?

josiesmom
07-26-2014, 11:51 PM
No not yet. Maybe tomorrow.

plax
07-27-2014, 03:06 AM
I've never been fortunate enough to live with any of the mini Macaw species. What I have gathered from those who have owned Hahns Macaws, though, is that each one tends to possess a temperament similar to that of a large Macaw. I guess they must think they're big guys ;). Please let us know your impression once you've met him, Anita.

josiesmom
07-27-2014, 03:19 AM
Ive spoken with the sister in law of the woman who owns him as she is trying to help find a suitable new family for him. She said that they've hit dead ends with trying to rehome him...the 2other times fell thru. I'm not sure what to make of it. The woman I spoke to has an African grey but won't take carter because her grey plucks when She has another bird in the house. (She said she fostered for the SPCA for 2 months and her Tess was bald for a while). Logistically, I'm not sure how we will be working this because he is about 2 1/2 hours away from me. Josie has lived with other birds before she came to us but I'm still not sure how she would like him. I'll keep you posted.

plax
07-27-2014, 03:54 AM
If you end up adopting him, hopefully all will work out.

Mare
07-27-2014, 05:49 AM
I imagine that taking a new bird in would be close to taking one of my new birds in and in that case,,it kind of worked out ok :). I hope it works out ok for you and Josie as well! You just won't know till it happens and taking a chance on helping a bird out,,well,, is worth the chance!

2birds
07-27-2014, 11:41 AM
I don't have macaws but the hahn's macaw looks pretty neat. If you want another bird I would go and get him.

kendrafitz
07-27-2014, 11:56 AM
I have always heard great things about hahns. They seem to be a great big macaw packaged in a little body. Which is awesome! :)

Hoping everything works out!! :)

Cedardave
07-27-2014, 03:07 PM
I have a hahns and they are wonderfull.Tia is only 8 months old...but is a bundle of character.She is full of energy and loves to play.I suspect this is a trait in older hahns as well.Tia loves to roll on her back and jump to attack when you give her attention.You can almost hear the mischieviousness coming from her.I say go for it.

kendrafitz
07-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Any word on the hahns? I have been thinking of you all. :)

jtbirds
07-28-2014, 11:18 PM
In alittle I will write alil about hahns! I have someone coming to visit a birdie in like 5 minutes.. If you need rescue help I am in PA as well:).

josiesmom
07-29-2014, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the input. Nothing new yet. [emoji45]. We are hoping to know something soon. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

jtbirds
07-29-2014, 12:48 AM
Hahns Macaws are great birds with huge personalities. They are a small macaw with a big macaw attitude. They are animated and talkative and amazing birds.. Experience with a blue and gold is plenty enough to deal with one of these guys. They have similar tendencies. Any further questions feel free!! I had a hahns that passed away he was amazing:).

josiesmom
08-20-2014, 01:31 PM
An update...

Carter's human is doing much better and for now, they have decided not to rehome him. I'm very happy for them although, if it came to it, we would have taken carter in. In the words of lil carter...'bombs away!' Lol