PDA

View Full Version : looking to expand my flock.

jonatron5
07-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Ive always loved birds and have some experience with medium sized ones. But I wouldnt really call them pet birds. By that I mean ive raised chickens and ducks for years. The ducks are my favorite to be honest becuase there so darn goofy looking and the way they walk. But ive been looking into getting a pet indoor bird ive always wanted a parrot and ive kinda had my heart settled on a mackaw becuase there so darn pretty. Heres the thing though im still in college so im usually away from the house most of the week and ive heard these birds are big big attention stealers and that they get lonely. I could wait till im out of school to get a bird. Im more of a homebody myself I like to be home mostly. Heres the question though. I know these birds are a big step ip in responsibility and one cant simply put them in a cage and leave them alone. So how do I know if im ready for one?

Also I own cats. Ive only got one but I live with my parents and theyve got like 5.

If I get a place of my own after I get out of school does that one cat automatically disqualify me? Hes a real gentle teddybear of a cat more so then a predator.

plax
07-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Hi and welcome to PP, jonatron5.

As you've mentioned, larger parrots (especially Macaws) require and deserve long-term interaction each day from their human family members (whom they consider their flock mates). Macaws are extremely social birds! Providing ongoing interaction for these amazing social creatures can be crucial to their emotional health. An onset of emotional problems in a bird can incite permanent behavioral and physical complications. Medium to larger companion parrots should be afforded plenty of out-of-cage time daily. That said, my recommendation would be to resist the urge to acquire a Macaw while you are attending school. Perhaps it would be best to consider acquiring a bird once you've finished with school? The time to think seriously about adding a Macaw to ones life is when there's clearly enough personal time in the foreseeable future to devote to such a bird. And a parrot should only be adopted after performing extensive research on what's required to properly care for one.

As far as your cat is concerned, please never assume that because he's a docile, gentle pet that he poses no risk to a companion bird. Many folks who believed the same of their cats have found themselves with brutally maimed and dying birds. No matter how friendly and loving a cat may be, it will always possess core instincts. If a pet bird happens to become startled and takes a panic flight toward a lovable teddy bear of a cat and ends up near (or in) its face, the cat will react by lashing out at the bird. All it takes is one such instance to kill a bird. Moreover, the natural flora in feline saliva (and existing on their claws) is lethally infectious to birds. That means that one swat of a cat paw can potentially result in death for a bird.

If you do acquire a parrot, please take care to preclude all access to it by any predatory pets in your home. Yes, there are many folks who share their homes with both pet birds and pet predatory mammals. But a significant potential for tragedy in such situations always exists. Animal attacks are lightning fast, and all it takes is one incident to rob a bird of its life. Please give this some serious thought.

Thanks so much for joining us :)

jtbirds
07-21-2014, 11:03 PM
HI and welcome to the forums!