PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

josiesmom
07-13-2014, 02:50 AM
A friend of ours has a doggie day care which is basically a nice open space free of big obstacles and nice normal ceilings. He has offered to let me bring Josie there on the weekend when there will not be any dogs there to let her fly. As we all know, Josie does not believe that she can fly so this would be a new experience for her in that I think I would really need to persuade her to fly to me. If we do get her to enjoy her wings I'm afraid she will not be as happy when she is home. I would always put the harness on her to take her out but I'm just not sure this would be a great plan. On the other hand, I feel like I'm being selfish in not taking this opportunity because I don't want her to experience flight. This would be a safe environment for her to do this in so should I give it a try? I feel like she is blue from rio and like I'm a bit of a helicopter mom.

coltfire
07-13-2014, 03:19 AM
It can't hurt ,and maybe she will get her wings back.

Mare
07-13-2014, 05:37 AM
Heck-a-yeah-yeah! Holy Moly, Anita! Let Josie fly! You know what, I'm not the most admired person because I free fly Amigo but I am a happy person for letting him be this way and he is the happiest bird for it.

2birds
07-13-2014, 06:37 AM
I would certainly help her learn how to fly and I think it would be awesome for her.

Mare, I certainly admire you just because Amigo is having the time of his life. Sure there are risks, but I think the pros outwegh the cons and he is happy.

plax
07-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Anita- In addition to being a fun experience for Josie (and perhaps for yourself and your family), it can be looked upon as an effort to teach her some 'flight control skills', which are truly a safety measure. When she learns to control her maneuverability during flight, and especially to control her landings, she will be a safer bird for it - even when she takes flight within smaller enclosed areas. The flight experience should improve her spotting and distance calculation skills and thus help her avoid crash landings. And it may even help her avert predator attacks if she were to somehow ever become loose outdoors. And a very important element would be if you are able to fly her enough to teach her to return to your arm on callback.

Mare
07-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Very good points, Tony! When Amigo first started to fly he had major crash landings, he didn't know an aileron from a rudder! It's a beautiful sight to see his pin point landings, now :)