PDA

View Full Version : Nino, Dori, Rose and I had a visitor this morning!

froggij
07-08-2014, 03:12 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

This baby robin has been parked on my balcony chirping and preening, and pooping on my bike. Not the most courteous of visitors but he let me get close and take a few photos with the big scary camera, and showed off his stretching abilities (got the cutest long, spindly legs and will stretch straight up all the way on his tiptoes with them). He's been here a half an hour and if he's here much longer I might start calling around to local bird groups to see if he needs help or if he's just resting after a first flight.

Another robin just came over and acted like it was going to feed the baby, not sure that's a good sign. We'll see how it goes.

PlaxMacaws
07-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Aww, what a cute little guy :). It sounds like the adult Robin may have been his parent. The nest may be nearby. I think your idea about calling the bird groups to learn what and what not to do is a good one. Let us know what happens.

2birds
07-08-2014, 04:41 PM
What an adorable visitor. My guess would be that he is a fledgling and his mom or dad will still be feeding him for a bit.

froggij
07-08-2014, 05:08 PM
I knew it, I knew it looked like he had all of his flight feathers in. So, after two hours of watching him sit on my bicycle handlebar (he moved onto it), I called a group, and they said to build him a nest out of soft things near the ground and put him in it since I couldn't find the nest or reach the branches of the extremely tall tree out there. So I found a groove in the tree that I could put soft things on, because we have a lot of dogs in the area and I didn't want him getting eaten, so I built him a nice little nest out of soft green branches for the trees, then ran back around the divide, up my stairs, into my apartment, and grabbed a box to catch him with.

Little Fathead flew and landed on some low branches of the tree I was trying to put him in the second he saw the box, so that's his name. Fathead, because he is one. Lazy little .... He's so cute I can't be mad at him though. And when he stretches, he stretches straight up and looks like a pudgy little flamingo! Okay, I definitely need to separate, he's back in the wild where he belongs. And if he ends up on the ground, I'll just go put him in my little nest for him, and call it a day. What a little stinker!

PlaxMacaws
07-08-2014, 06:35 PM
haha Jen... I suppose there are some things about this world that he'll simply have to learn for himself. You've made a good effort to help him, though :). Lets hope that Fathead lives a safe and prosperous life!

Mare
07-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Aww..that's awesome! I'm glad Fathead is working it out :). I've found many baby chicks around here, ones that are just starting to fly or falling from the nest and aren't learned in..anything,,really. Normally, it will be a baby sparrow. I never had a ton of luck with raising them to be put back in the wild, so about three years ago I found one on the ground and "googled", what to feed these baby birds. What I discovered was the most enlightening piece of info I've heard in a long time! If you find a baby bird fallen from it's nest or still just fledging, put it up in a bush near where you found it, away from predators and the parents will still come and feed it! I found this to be a revelation!