PDA

View Full Version : Going to Bird show in GA in 2 weeks. Need some input.

Gburchett
04-28-2013, 02:00 AM
Going to the exotic bird show in GA, Mother Day weekend. I am hoping there will be a lot of breeders there. What do are some questions I should be asking and what should I be looking in a good breeder?

I have been doing a lot of research, but it never hurts to hear from others that have been there and their experiences. I'm looking for a macaw, more than likely a B&G.

I have had a parrot in the past, but it has been a long time since I investigated it.

Thanks in advance for any advice. If you know of any reputable breeders in Ga let me know. I'm also making an appointment to talk with an avian vet down for me to get some info from them as well.

Heather
04-28-2013, 02:24 AM
check out Daniel Walthers I got my BF zon from him...He also breeds BG macaws and a few others I had a wonderful experience dealing with him and his wife Theresa they are in commerce Ga [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
since I got Parker they have stopped breeding amazons and are only breeding Macaws and crows

Gburchett
04-28-2013, 02:39 AM
Thanks Heather, I'll look for them at the show. I visited the link, looks like a nice place. I'll look into them.

Pinkbirdy
04-29-2013, 02:39 PM
I like Daniel Walthers website also. Even if you cant find him there .I think it would be worth it to try and contact through his site. I guess I feel if you get a bird from a show [there might be more of a chance of the unknown] Now your hearing from me a person that loves all birds [and if the situation is what I want to do I will] I bought one bird a sun conure [from a show] I was told she was weaned and wasnt.Luckily I was able to recognize that and knew how to hand feed.Macaws take a long time to wean [I would want to know that and what their diet is] are they used to being handled ,how much outside the cage time to they have [as much history as you can get] but plan on a good vet and have a backup person to ask about situations that come up for you. I guess that saying is my advice hope for the best plan for the worst. Im excited for you being a potential new Macaw owner. One more thing [if you can] Try to spend time with each one your interested in [if you go the bird show way] sometimes by being with them you can kind of tell which one might like you! :)

Gburchett
04-30-2013, 01:39 AM
I like Daniel Walthers website also. Even if you cant find him there .I think it would be worth it to try and contact through his site. I guess I feel if you get a bird from a show [there might be more of a chance of the unknown] Now your hearing from me a person that loves all birds [and if the situation is what I want to do I will] I bought one bird a sun conure [from a show] I was told she was weaned and wasnt.Luckily I was able to recognize that and knew how to hand feed.Macaws take a long time to wean [I would want to know that and what their diet is] are they used to being handled ,how much outside the cage time to they have [as much history as you can get] but plan on a good vet and have a backup person to ask about situations that come up for you. I guess that saying is my advice hope for the best plan for the worst. Im excited for you being a potential new Macaw owner. One more thing [if you can] Try to spend time with each one your interested in [if you go the bird show way] sometimes by being with them you can kind of tell which one might like you! :)

I'm going to the show to look for breeders & to talk with them about their birds. Not planing on buying a bird there. I want to visit the breeders place and see the conditions their birds are living in.

Thank you for your input. I too, like Daniel Walters website. I definitely will be speaking with him.

roxynoodle
04-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Do take precautions for yourself and a new bird if you buy one. Bird shows are wonderful, but also an easy way for diseases to be spread. What I do ahead of time is put clean clothes and shoes in my bathroom. I am able to come in the back door and strip off my clothes and put them directly into the washing machine. Then I do the butt naked sprint across my kitchen into the bathroom and into the shower. That way none or myself come into contact with my birds just in case.

If you buy a bird you need a quarantine set up ahead of time. The ideal situation would be if you could drop the bird off at someone else's house for at least 30 days. Do you have a non bird owning friend or family member who would be willing to let the bird stay with them for a month?

Taking your shower at your friend's or family members house on the way home is a good plan, too, if you can arrange that.

Yeah, I'm a little paranoid, but despite that I did have an incident. My Grey got sick being shipped to me, and it was airborne. She got my amazon sick as well. I'm just lucky they weren't fatal diseases, but instead they were dangerous bacterial infections. Still pretty bad but I was lucky to catch it quickly.