PDA

View Full Version : This is going to leave a mark!

josiesmom
07-01-2014, 02:21 AM
I had Josie outside today, just like very other day. She happily put her harness on and out we went. We came back in, took the harness off and did the daily victory lap around the downstairs on my arm (she doesn't believe she can fly). As soon as I started towards her mansion in my living room she struck! And she struck hard and she yelled ow! Don't do that! [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Pinkbirdy
07-01-2014, 02:33 AM
I wonder why ? My Rocky will yell the same thing when he tried to bite.

jtbirds
07-01-2014, 02:40 AM
Its a common thing with blue and golds imo... My blue and gold says no, gentle, knock it off, brat, and much more when he is being lungy. Blue and golds are playful to the max usually and it was probably more of a "joke" then a bite. Not saying it should get covered up and not corrected just saying i'm sure it wasn't meant out of aggression or such. I get a lot of marks and most of them are from ones meaning to leave the mark at that point and time >.<.. people look at my arms and think I have a drug issue sadly as judgmental as people are. Then I explain my "line of work" and they understand a lil more:P.

Mare
07-01-2014, 03:29 AM
Well...my U2 has left many marks way worse than that upon people less deserving than us!! Getting bit by your bird that you thought loved you beyond others, is not unheard of.

2birds
07-01-2014, 06:01 AM
Ouch, that's a bad spot. Makes my eyes water just looking at it.

kendrafitz
07-01-2014, 10:42 AM
Ouch! Your poor finger!!

Rosie will yell OWWW when she pinches me or the kids. For her, I think it is a game. She is anticipating the reaction she gets. Since it is loud and animated, it's fun. She generally laughs as well. But that is just a pinch.

Maybe Josie was just over excited from having so much fun with Mommy?

I love that you call her house her mansion!! Such a great visual! :)

jacksmom
07-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Ooo, yeah, tough spot right near the nail! Ow is right!!!

My blue and gold meters his nips out as punishment, yours does sound like he was having a joke. Fortunately, we have mostly convinced him a small nip is incredibly painful...and I am VERY strict about reaction at these times. No yelling ow, no speaking at all...just walk quickly to his perch, set him down and ignore him. No jumping, no words angry or otherwise. My poor husband is the only one who he has ever drawn blood on...obviously he didn't get that Jack didn't want him right then (I had walked through the room) he wanted MOMMA and mean ol' Daddy just didn't get it. So he bites Daddy, hoping this means Momma will come back. It did not turn out to mean that, heh - he was put back in his room for his trouble. ;) He has not done that again!

We actually had to have a training session about it...he went through a time where it was Daddy he wanted, and lunge at Mom...whenever he shows aggression to one or the other, (favoring one of us) that person leaves the room and he is alone with the person he doesn't want. Then he realizes that he does want SOMEONE, and climbs on your arm...when the person he did want comes back in, if he is mean to the other person...they will leave again. He got the picture really fast...if you are mean to one of us, the other is going to ignore you.

Not related at all to this I don't think...just sharing nipping stories! :) Does sound like it was a not very funny joke here!

jtbirds
07-01-2014, 12:14 PM
It sounds like a "joke" on the birds end, somewhere along the lines ow, don't do that! was shown as a reaction and the bird thought it was more then likely a form of play and the reaction was "funny" to them so this is probably why it has been done again. Rule of thumb is usually just not reacting and giving time outs the most I have ever reacted even when its been cockatoos at my face, has simply been a stern no and right for a time out.

I was just clearing the "joke" part for jacksmom because I think it may have been taken in the wrong context:).

jacksmom
07-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Well, I was just trying to be PC...I don't find it a joke either, or think birds with large beaks should...which is why we react the same as you. ;) Time out, no reaction. :)

PlaxMacaws
07-01-2014, 10:00 PM
I think your discussion here has nailed three of the most common reasons that these guys may try and nip us. Number one, because they have a sense of humor about it and they like the reactions they receive, often shown by them mimicking a caregiver's verbal responses of pain. And number two, because sometimes they feel an urge to punish us for doing something they don't like or want, such as heading toward their cage and attempting to get them into it (when they would rather remain out of it) before leaving the house or going to bed. Then there's as well the 'preferred person' inspired lunging/nipping tendency which Grace and her husband have found an effective way to address.

While no one likes to be nipped or pinched... I have to say that each time it happens to me for reason number one (because my bird thinks it's funny and either laughs, mocks me, or makes some other smart aleck comment after a firm pinch), I often find myself running out of the room to be alone so I can laugh to myself as the pain subsides ;). These guys can be so flippin' cute... evening when they're trying to be ornery :D

kendrafitz
07-02-2014, 12:58 AM
The horrible truth is when Rosie pinches me and laughs, I laugh as well. I know I shouldn't, but I find her so darn cute and funny. I'm not a person who is thought out enough to leave the room before laughing. Probably explains why my kids tease me so much, I end up laughing and not holding back.

I know it's not a great way to get polite behavior from my kids/diva parrot, but it's just who I am. A silly Mommy who should try to be a bit more grown up. But I never will, I am a 5 year old stuck in a 40 something year olds body! :)

Mare
07-03-2014, 01:59 AM
You GO Girl! I find humor in the most inappropriate places, every day! This is what keeps us ALIVE!

froggij
07-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Amen to that! What do they say, growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional? That's what I'm sticking to, at least!