PDA

View Full Version : petey

jtbirds
06-29-2014, 01:41 AM
Tonight one of my blue and golds petey passed away. This was not unexpected by any means he has been on a down hill slope for some time. I will tell you a little about petey and the issue at hand.

Petey was a 35-40 year old wild caught blue and gold that lived a life that wasn't horrible, but his diet was. It consisted of mainly seeds and nuts and very little else. I am tired of people saying pellets and this don't grow on a tree in the wild. Well sunflower seeds and peanuts are not what a bird eats in the wild ether.. This is time and time again why birds are dieing. I had a 7 year old greenwing die because his diet was sooo bad in only 7 years it killed him. And another blue and gold around 15 with the same issue. They were all examined after death and this was the proven cause.

Please if you are not create a stable diet for your birds and don't just think seeds and nuts pass the test. I don't want people going through what I see happen so often.

Fly free petey you will always be loved here.

kendrafitz
06-29-2014, 01:50 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss of Petey. Fly free sweet boy!

What a sad story about all the birds you lost due to poor diets. I hope that by you sharing their stories, people will realize how important this is.

plax
06-29-2014, 01:56 AM
Sincere condolences, Justin :(. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's horribly tragic... at least Petey will no longer suffer. I agree that diet is so very important. Everyone needs to heed this reality!

jtbirds
06-29-2014, 02:15 AM
Thank you for the thoughts everyone they are felt. I am slightly upset but sadly desensitized to it as my field of work is in veterinary hospitals. I just don't want any of my kids is die without any meaning as well and please let this all be an example to always strive for the best for your kids.

That 10 minutes it may take to feed fresh food is all you need a day extra, we easily spend that on social media or something else.

thank you all

Pinkbirdy
06-29-2014, 02:29 AM
Im so sorry Jt :(

jtbirds
06-29-2014, 02:59 AM
thank you for the words terri, Petey will look down in the future and see another amazing bird just like him being helped it is his way of opening his heart for another to be helped:). Gotta be positive or as positive as you can because negativity will only ruin what petey would want, or this is what I believe.

Macaw Lover
06-29-2014, 04:27 AM
I am so sorry for you to hear of this.

Diet is so important, and it starts when they are babies. I know of 2 Military clutch mates and 1 B&G from a different so called breeder who were not feed properly when they were still in the nest One of the Militaries (Sarita) died at the age of 18 months and the clutch mate was put down by the owner. Sarita had multiple medical issues including Congestive Heart Failure and neurological problems. She could not perch properly and if she was trying to walk on the ground, she had to use her beak for balance. When she was shipped to her new home her whole body was covered in stress bars. The vet who did the necropsy documented that her organs were not properly developed because of lack of nutrition in the critical developing stage.

The B&G was taken in by someone who saw the ad looking for a home for this baby. The one leg was actually turned inward but that was only the beginning of the medical issues. The baby was way under weight and also had neurological issues too. That little one had to pull himself up to climb out of the cage and then when he reached the floor, had to drag himself anywhere. When that owner came onto a board to get help she posted the weight and age and that bird weighed about 1/3 of what he should have been.

Owners need to provide a nutritious diet but it is important that a bird comes from a breeder who knows how to raise babies properly feed out the babies too.

2birds
06-29-2014, 05:24 AM
I'm really sorry to hear about Petey.

jtbirds
06-29-2014, 08:35 PM
I am so sorry for you to hear of this.

Diet is so important, and it starts when they are babies. I know of 2 Military clutch mates and 1 B&G from a different so called breeder who were not feed properly when they were still in the nest One of the Militaries (Sarita) died at the age of 18 months and the clutch mate was put down by the owner. Sarita had multiple medical issues including Congestive Heart Failure and neurological problems. She could not perch properly and if she was trying to walk on the ground, she had to use her beak for balance. When she was shipped to her new home her whole body was covered in stress bars. The vet who did the necropsy documented that her organs were not properly developed because of lack of nutrition in the critical developing stage.

The B&G was taken in by someone who saw the ad looking for a home for this baby. The one leg was actually turned inward but that was only the beginning of the medical issues. The baby was way under weight and also had neurological issues too. That little one had to pull himself up to climb out of the cage and then when he reached the floor, had to drag himself anywhere. When that owner came onto a board to get help she posted the weight and age and that bird weighed about 1/3 of what he should have been.

Owners need to provide a nutritious diet but it is important that a bird comes from a breeder who knows how to raise babies properly feed out the babies too.

This whole post is exactly what I am getting at, thanks for adding onto what i said with even more support! Diet is key to longevity in our birds life:).

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
06-30-2014, 04:30 AM
So sad, I'm sorry to hear of your loss Justin. These poor birds are dependent upon us for their life, their health and well being. It just kills me to hear when they aren't taken care of properly but if a breeder is blowing it from the beginning, these guys don't seem to have a very good chance :(