PDA

View Full Version : Umm... Hi?

PunchehKitteh
06-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Hi... I'm new to the forum (obviously) but I don't own any birds. This site seemed better than the others so after reading the rules I decided to join :bfzon:
I don't really know a lot about birds and I don't know if we are actually getting one... My brother says that in December or after he will get one and he says he wants a parrot or a dove. Knowing that doves can be quite large (oh and there are so many parrots that can be big or small) I thought "hmm a budgie would be the best" but now I see it needs 2-3 hours outside of the cage. Is there a bird that is happy living in something like a ferret nation that doesn't need a lot of flight time? Or is a bird just not right for us.Oh, and I forgot to say we already have a dog, a cat, and a hamster :)

2birds
06-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Hello Ivory, Getting a bird, and especially a parrot is a big consideration. They are more work than a lot of other pets and also sometimes less. I think the bottom line is you really have to want a bird and be willing to do whatever it takes to keep them happy. Birds are not hard to take care of but are time consuming. They need a lot of attention. Personally I think they are fun and like to give them attention. But, they are demanding. A dog likes attention too but if you don't feel like it at the moment they are content to just lay at your feet or near you. Birds will yell at you and devise all kinds of ways to get that attention that they crave. I have horses also and they are a lot of work. If you don't have a passion for horses you would just not have any because it would be too much. It's not work to me because I just love being there.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, if its another pet you want then consider how much effort you want to put into it. It's not good for any birds physical or mental well being to be in a cage for any extended period of time. Personally, I think that they loose it mentally if kept that way. They are too social and too smart.
If you don't mind the effort that you have to put in, they are one of the neatest creatures to share your life with.
Ask plenty of questions. There are plenty of people here that can help you with considering a bird, how to feed them, how to house them. how to interact with them and socializing with them.

Welcome to the forum :)

Also, I forgot to mention one big thing. Different species of birds have different lifespans. Medium and larger parrots can live a very long time. Anywhere between 50 and 80 years. Smaller birds like budgies and cockatiels live 15 to 25 years.They strongly bond to you and separations can be devastating to them. That is a huge consideration as well.

PlaxMacaws
06-28-2014, 04:11 PM
I agree with Lori. Getting a pet bird is a huge commitment, and owning one involves a great deal of time to be fair to the bird. As such, your decision should be considered very carefully. The rewards of having such an avian companion can be amazing, though! Research is key!

jtbirds
06-28-2014, 05:58 PM
research, research, and more research is key. Welcome to the forums and any further questions just ask I'm sure many many people can answer them:).

kendrafitz
06-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Hi Ivory and welcome!!

You are really off to a great start. Joining a forum and asking lots of questions is a great way to learn. :). Rosie, my GW Macaw was my first parrot and I learned so much from people on forums.

Do you have any bird stores or rescues near you? Visiting a few times would help you see what size and type of bird you are comfortable with. The staff members will also give you tons of information. Just ask lots of questions. :)

It is very important to know that parrots consider their humans their flock. Which means they want to be with you, doing what you are doing all the time. Or as much as possible. Out of the cage time does not necessarily mean flight time. It can be snuggling on the couch, hanging on a java tree in the same room as you, or playing. My Rosie is clipped and doesn't fly.

There is a big difference bt any other pet I've had and parrots. They need a lot of attention. Since they are very intelligent and sensitive, it is super important. If they are just stuck in their cage and lonely, they can start to have many issues. Plucking, screaming, or becoming cage bound to name a few. Just food for thought...

You got lots of great answers from everyone already. I'm sure you will get a few more.

Don't be shy and ask anything you are wondering about. We will all be happy to help as much as we can!!

Mare
06-28-2014, 08:05 PM
Hi Ivory! Welcome! Already lots of great advice going on here! Ask lots of questions and do tons of research before committing to a bird, they deserve the best!

PunchehKitteh
06-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Hmm... My brother says that he doesn't want a Budgie :/ is there any bird that would be ok for a 36x24x24 cage? Or a 36x24x48 cage