PDA

View Full Version : So Glad

2birds
06-28-2014, 12:53 PM
A lot of times I will give Lilliputs a teaspoon full of oatmeal with apple and cinnamon at night before she goes to sleep. She loves it and gobbles it up. Last night I was heating the water up with some little apple chunks in it so I could throw some oatmeal in there. Well, I came to the computer and forgot about it. Next thing I know, I am smelling something burning. Ahhhh, The first thing that came to my mind was "So glad that I threw all of that teflon coated cookware away a long time ago".

jacksmom
06-28-2014, 01:45 PM
True that! And agreed! Though since Jack is flighted, I am too afraid to cook with him in the room, anyway. Too scared he will fly in the oven, or land on the stove! :eek:

2birds
06-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Yeah, the birds were in with me. The funny thing is Lilliputs started screaming before I even smelled it. I guess it's their instincts to not like the smell of something burning and get away from it as soon as possible. Good thing it was mostly water so no smoke.

plax
06-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Me too! It's quite scary how something so easy to forget can result in death to our beloved feathered guys in no time :(

Macaw Lover
07-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Something that we need to be aware of regarding the cinnamon is there are different types and one can be a killer because it contains Coumarin which you might recognize as Coumadin or a blood thinner.

Cassia is the cheaper and regularly used one in our foods. Stay away from that stuff, especially for our birds. Keep in mind, what might not have an effect on a human can be devastating and/or a killer to our birds because of body weight and the difference between humans and birds.

Ceylon is the other type which is safe(r). I was able to buy a bag of it, I think it was about 1 lb and cost something like $25 at Whole Foods

Some of the bird foods that you buy you think is great because they contain those cinnamon sticks in it but guess what, they are the Cassia sticks. NO NOT FEED. The attached link shows the differences between the sticks.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

2birds
07-01-2014, 12:39 AM
Ceylon cinnamon is what I use. That is the true cinnamon that has benefits to it. I didn't know that cassia is toxic to birds though, thanks for sharing. I haven't heard of Saigon cinnamon. Good article

Macaw Lover
07-01-2014, 02:05 AM
Ceylon cinnamon is what I use. That is the true cinnamon that has benefits to it. I didn't know that cassia is toxic to birds though, thanks for sharing. I haven't heard of Saigon cinnamon. Good article

Glad you are using the 'safe' one. I knew there were 2 types and when I went searching for pics of the sticks, I came across that site and here there are 4 types but the Ceylon is still the safest one.

jacksmom
07-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Thank you so much, Macaw Lover! :D. I did not know that!!!