PDA

View Full Version : Holding "Hands"

jacksmom
06-27-2014, 10:40 AM
So, Congo Jack has developed a new habit...he likes to hold hands. He likes this so much that he forgets he should step up on me! The other day we were holding hands (claws?) while I was laying on the couch and he was sitting on the back of it, and I think he "set" his foot in the perch position on me. It sure did get a lot tighter, anyway! (I'm thinking - Ow, okay, I love you, OW) Anyone else's bird do this? Or do I have the only weirdo? :rolleyes:

kendrafitz
06-27-2014, 11:51 AM
Sometimes Rosie likes to hold my hand, but not that often. It seems to be when we are sitting on our couch. I love it! It is so sweet when she puts her little foot up so slowly and gently. Then just holds into my finger. I guess she wants contact but not too much. :)

jacksmom
06-27-2014, 12:10 PM
That is just it! Very slow, easy, gentle...like they are saying "Okay, gonna hold your finger now, just want you to see me coming." He never did this until recently...usually is is "Gimme that finger, I wanna gnaw on it, and just make sure that is the same shape as yesterday."

It is very cute, I love this new side of him! Guess he really isn't a baby anymore...how old is Rosie?

Macaw Lover
06-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Kalea will do that a lot, especially when she is cuddling on top of the boobs. Just so relaxed, and wants additional contact and probably to make sure I am staying put. Sort of like how we can feel sometimes where we don't ever want a particular moment to end.

jacksmom
06-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Aw, that was a great way of putting it! Absolutely...stay here, don't get up...let's stay in this bonding moment, I'm really feeling it. It is sort of exasperating when he does this while standing on his perch...can't just stand there as long as he can, I get to wanting to sit! ;)

Cool to know other people have birds that do this! :) I didn't know if it was just him or not...there is definitely a difference in bonding to a bird that isn't yours, and owning one/being owned by one yourself!

Poor Jack, he can't stand on my boobs...not enough there for a perch, lol! He tries grabbing my boobs sometimes like he wants to climb, my husband gets a real kick out of that! ;)

kendrafitz
06-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Rosie is 2, how old is Jack?

She is beginning to grow up which is fun. :)

PlaxMacaws
06-27-2014, 10:05 PM
So, Congo Jack has developed a new habit...he likes to hold hands. He likes this so much that he forgets he should step up on me! The other day we were holding hands (claws?) while I was laying on the couch and he was sitting on the back of it, and I think he "set" his foot in the perch position on me. It sure did get a lot tighter, anyway! (I'm thinking - Ow, okay, I love you, OW) Anyone else's bird do this? Or do I have the only weirdo? :rolleyes:Salsa often imposes a powerful foot grip on my fingers! He has the strongest grasp of my four, but not the biggest feet ;). It's actually impossible to convince him to let go of my finger at times :th_shakehead:

jacksmom
06-27-2014, 11:13 PM
Jack is...five, I think? Four? I forget my own age sometimes. ;) I will have to remember to ask his vet when we go in a few weeks. They do seem to really grow up after two!

No, Plax, I bet Zaf has the biggest feet! (Hope I got his name right!) What kind of bird is Salsa? Another macaw? He sounds like an interesting character! :)

Mare
06-27-2014, 11:30 PM
My cockatoos are hand holders! When the Sassy girl is out, she likes to tap on your fingers and kind of pets them with her foot, (unless Tim is in the room, then normally it's a "getting her bearings for a good CHOMP!). In the evening, before getting covered for the night, she will desperately shove her foot through the bars, she wants to hold my finger and have me coo and rub her foot for a while,,it's super sweet. When I cut Amigo loose in the mornings, he will sometimes just hang on for dear life, he won't go to his perch. This is when I know he just wants some loving. We sit in the swing till he's ready to start his new adventure of a day :)

jacksmom
06-27-2014, 11:52 PM
Aw, sweet stories! :) I just read my husband this, he was very impressed! We don't have any other birds, it is easy to assume Jack is just being a monkey on a weird kick - rather than just maturing as a loving parrot normally would. :)

Pinkbirdy
06-28-2014, 02:37 AM
I hold my Macaws hands [and kiss their feet] :) . Tequila [my zon likes to hold hands [ but theirs no kissing his feet !! LOL