PDA

View Full Version : Pellets, Animal Mills, and Circuses

Macaw Lover
06-21-2014, 04:27 PM
I have to say I have learned to not jump on a band wagon. I am not saying this is not the truth, but when I saw that PETA did a so called 'undercover operations' of this same facility I really question what could be behind all of this. Anyone can sit in front of a camera and hold up a couple of pieces of paper but what is really printed on those pages??????? I want to see written proof this Tania was actually treated by a licensed physician and what the diagnosis was and also what treatment was she given? I don't remember her showing any medications she was given to back up a claim she contracted this also.

PETA, HSUA and ASPCA create a lot of 'stuffs' to suit their purposes and get people excited, scared, angry, mad so an uproar will happen and they will gain more 'support' (which translates into money which most of which is going into their own wallets). The whole purpose of their existence (besides the money in their pockets) is to eliminate our RIGHTS to own any and all animals, including birds, and they are getting laws passed around the country at an alarming rate.

I hope all these birds are not infected but what type of bird owner is she when she did not quarantine a new bird she just bought from a pet store????????

It scares the poop out of me with all these laws that are getting passed and what will become of all the animals. They passed the one about the Blue Throat Macaw making it illegal to sell across state lines. Another law that is still out there will affect 4 Macaws, Hy, Scarlets, Great Green and the Military. In States that adopt the ESA laws automatically it will be ILLEGAL to own these 4 species in those states. There is a law that was passed that says you cannot buy an animal without seeing it in person first so if you show dogs and want to buy say a Stud that is on the West Coast and you are on the East Coast, you must physically go out to see this animal in person. Granted, this will slow down real puppy mills, but this will destroy the pure breeds too. Oh, that should not matter, America is importing mutts from other countries along with their diseases too.

Be cautious, very cautious what you believe on the internet these days.

plax
06-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Duly noted on your points and concerns, Renee'. We can take this alert under advisement and await further information. It is still a good idea to have any birds recently acquired from Petsmart tested for psittacosis by an avian veterinarian. Petsmart has experienced other situations relating to psittacosis within the past 10 years. In any case, we can err on the side of caution.

Thanks

Macaw Lover
06-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Yes, always better to be safe rather than sorry and get a bird tested. It's scary knowing there is always a chance of bringing a little one into your home that might be carrying something but it is scary that these AR's groups target things/places and sit back and enjoy the show.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Petco an offshoot of Kaytee? I don't think it is PetMart but I could be wrong. I know a lot of people are angry with Petco because the birds are raised to be sold in the environment that it is, but people should look at it from a different angle.

30-40 even 50 years ago people did not have all the different types of pets we see nowadays. Birds were feed an all sunflower diet because we did not know any better. Then we started eventually seeing vets for the exotics and these vets said NO NO NO, the animals need a better diet so they came out with all these pellets. Good/bad, yes/no. Pellets are better than just feed an all sunflower seed diet but there are so many species of birds and one pellet DOES NOT nourish all, sorry. I am not toally against pellets, just not as a main part of a diet. 'When was the last time you saw a pellet grown on a tree?' is a quote from a good friend and he is right.

Anyway, back to my summation. Kaytee got into the business of feeding animals. They did some research at least to find out what birds like, might be good for them, you get the picture. So when any research is done, where do you think those animals come from??? If birds are happy and thriving they will want to breed, correct? So just how many animals, whether it be birds, rabbits, guinea pigs, whatever, can they keep??? So what is the solution? Create a market for them and an outlet hence Petco is born. The good side is that children can get an introduction to animals, which is needed to sustain the keeping of pets long after you and I are Dead Like A Door Nail. Would I ever buy an animal there? Never say never but I highly doubt it.

Another 'band wagon' that I see people jump on is the Circuses. There is now a law in Irvine CA, Corona CA and even Mexico City that outlaws circuses in that city. Why? Because these AR groups claim that all the animals in a circus are so mistreated. Maybe that was the case 50-75 years ago but times change. You think Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey are going to mistreat the animals that bring the people in? I highly doubt that but that is another thing these AR groups are doing.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] Also banned are rodeos, and sales of dogs and cats

Let me add this disclaimer now. I don't want to get into any debates with my views, I just hope others learn to not take things at face value but look at the flip side to see what things are about and the why's of it.

plax
06-21-2014, 07:56 PM
There are many brands of pellets available, as well as various types of pellets within each brand. The theory in supporting pellets as a major component of a bird's diet (around 60-70%) is that avian diet pellets are supposedly fortified with vitamins and minerals in the most appropriate quantities per serving. But it's up to bird owners/caregivers to research the contents of each type of pelleted diet and reference the findings to what their particular species of birds require. Some nuts and even some seeds, and, of course, plenty of vegetables, as well as various fruits should also be offered to one's birds on a daily basis. In my opinion, a quality pellet can fill in the nutritional gap for certain finicky birds. I think that a 50 or 60% pelleted diet is a safe ratio, as long as they are quality pellets and as long as they contain the proper nutrients (which a bird may not receive enough of from a diet consisting of strictly other foods).

As for the mass production of birds, I think we have to be careful because there are obviously 'bird mills' that exist purely for profit. Those bird mills are typically from where the large chain pet stores obtain the birds they sell.

As for circuses and the treatment of their animals, I don't trust any company who uses animals for profit. It's always the bottom line that rules... i.e., money! And whichever method may be the quickest to compel an animal's compliance with a plan to generate profit is typically the method that's chosen. Just as with your assertion about PETA's profit goals, circuses have the same bottom line agenda. I think we can neither believe everyone nor disbelieve everyone.

jtbirds
06-21-2014, 10:51 PM
make owning the birds I love illegal and sadly I will break the laws.. I have a blue throat with no plans to sell, but honestly someone would have to pry my birds from my cold dead hands before they took them.. This whole situation is nothing other then petsmarts fault for unsafe business practice. Why let one bad company ruin many peoples lifetime dedication and form of companionship. I would like to say and this may hurt people but peta workers are a bunch of idiots:/. I met one that protested me because my birds were clipped and tried to start a fight. They are radicals and unrealistic in there dumb demands.

As for pellets there is a reason for them. The reason is not to provide only pellets but supplement. The same thing could be said for dog/cat food honestly. When have you ever seen a wild dog eat pelleted dog food from something it killed? Not being a smarty pants just putting in what i think. I as well have a friend who say the same thing about pellets, but she still supplements with them.

kendrafitz
06-21-2014, 11:35 PM
I remember going to a circus as a kid and feeling sad for the animals. When I was older, a date took me to the circus and I left really upset. The animals seem sad and almost defeated. It is not for me. I have preached against circuses to the kids and they just rolled their eyes at me. Then one of our neighbors gave us tickets and they begged to go. So we went, even though I didn't want to. As it turns out, the kids were upset about how depressed the animals looked. They never asked to go again. Just my experiences, but I am not a fan. These were big name circuses in all cases.