PDA

View Full Version : Hey! New to the bird world!

Adalii
06-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Hello my real name is Olivia, but online I also go by Adalii.

I will be getting my first bird this summer, as I want time to prepare and do more research and actually decide which bird to get haha.

My dream is to get a Green Cheek Conure, but I also like Nanday Conures and Sun Conures....hmm.
But my mother has owned a Cockatiel and I think they are nice, but I REALLY love Conures.

So yes any help with my decision is welcome haha.

Anyways I will be a Junior in high school next year, and I have a job in order to fully care for my animals financially and emotionally. The bird will be out every single minute he is able, and the only time he will be away is when nobody is home/when I am sleeping. I also own two EXTREMELY friendly little dogs named Ruffles and Rue, Ruffles is five and she is a Miniature Schnauzer, and Rue is one and she is a Miniature Schnauzer Poodle Mix.
On top of this I own several fish in five tanks, including two bettas, dwarf pufferfish, longfin danios, ghost shrimp, and a dwarf gourami. I also own neon tetras and two emerald green cory cats.
IF that wasn't enough I also own five female rats! Sadly my oldest girl will be put down soon...as she has cancerous tumors D;

So please do not think I will simply get a bird to rehome in a year or two, as I realize a bird IS a lifetime commitment. I have wanted a bird since I was a child, and now since I am older and more mature I feel it is the time to begin the journey. I will be taking the bird with me to college/wherever I decide to go, and no decision will exclude the bird, as I will be treating him like a child.

Just had to get that out of the way :) I will be a responsible owner!

Outside of the animal realm I have a job, I work part time at a Veterinary Clinic where I care for dogs and cats, and since I am still in school I attend high school. Somehow I still have a lot of time for everything! In the free time that doesn't include animals I enjoy playing clarinet, piano, and trombone, and I am a member of the marching band.

This is just a little about me, feel free to ask if you have any questions or give any bit of advice!

Thanks for reading!

~Olivia/Adalii

kendrafitz
06-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Hi Olivia and welcome to the forum!

Wow, you are a busy girl. :) I think it is awesome that you are researching before deciding which bird is right for you. It's also great that you work at a vet clinic. Lots of great experience.

I don't have any advice, as I only have a Green Wing Macaw. I don't know much about the smaller guys. But welcome and I look forward to reading all about your crew!

plax
06-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Hello Olivia... it sounds like you're a very good pet parent already :). I also only have Macaws, but we have several members here with Conure and Cockatiel family members... so hang in there and they will hopefully reply fairly soon. I personally think that either a GCC or one of the other Conures, or even a 'tiel, would be excellent choices to consider. All are great birds!

Thanks so much for joining us on PP :D

94lt1
06-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Hello Olivia.. I have a macaw.. But I also have a gorgeous cinnamon green cheek conure named Rain.. She's an absolute cuddle bug and is my owner.. Don't laugh.. Cause it's true.. Lol.. Long story behind her.. But she's such a gentle baby.. :)

I also or we, should I say.. Have a sun conure... Starburst.. He's not the cuddle that Rain is.. But can be.. He's curious but not as outgoing as Rain.. But I don't think that's typical..

And Rain, I've only had a year.. Is starting to talk!! I'm so amazed... (most of our birds are rescues and she's the first one to start to talk since we got her)
I'm so thrilled :) she's whispering.. Whatcha doing.. Just like I say to her every time I see her.. :)

If you have any questions feel free to ask.. Other than that. Welcome to Precisely Parrots.. Be sure to check out our Facebook page too!!!

2birds
06-07-2014, 12:36 AM
Hello Olivia, I love that name. Welcome to Precisely Parrots. I think GCC are the sweetest little things. Which ever you decide on, it sounds like it will have a happy home.

Mare
06-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Hi, Olivia! Welcome! It's good to see you doing your research before taking the plunge :). I've never owned a conure but here great things about them, they sound like such fun little characters. I do have a cockatiel and just love him! He won't let me touch him but I can tell, he still likes my company. He will fly to my shoulder, just to hang out :)

Let us know what you decide on!

jessicas94lt1
06-08-2014, 05:43 AM
Welcome

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Adalii
06-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Thank you all for the welcome! I think I will end up going with a Green Cheek Conure. They just seem like the perfect choice for me, and they are just so darn cute!
I will be sure to add updates on what happens. :)

94lt1
06-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Here's my cinnamon green cheek.. She's just learning to talk.. A big accomplishment because she was as good as dead when we got her..

Rain's starting to talk!!:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]