PDA

View Full Version : Getting cockatiel out of it's cage

CockatielOwner
06-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Hi guys, I got two pet cockatiels for 2 and a half weeks now, I feed them I talk to them alot. They like me I think, The male one I can get close to he doesnt do anything but the female one hisses and try's to bite me however they both eat bread from my hand lol, I dont have a open cage top and I only have a door on the side of my cage, I just want to know how can I get them out of there, I leave the cage door open hoping they would but they never do, I try to put bread next to the door hoping they might climb on it, I really want them to get out as I want them to discover and have fun in the environment around them, Please help me out by giving some useful tips please? :) :th_heart:

PlaxMacaws
06-02-2014, 06:49 PM
How old are these tiels? Many birds require time to acclimate to new environments. Once your guys have been with you for a while, their cautious behaviors should diminish. It's very common for birds to be distrustful at first. Initially, many will refuse to accept a new caregiver and are unwilling to leave their cage for a lengthy period after acquisition. I'm sure that yours feel the most secure within their cage right now. My recommendation is not to rush things with them. Let them feel that you're not forcing them to do anything they might be suspicious about, and just give them plenty of time to adapt. They'll become more accepting of you and their environment with time.

CockatielOwner
06-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Thank you for the very helpful reply! The cockatiels are less than a year old at the moment I think. The Pet shop told me they are still young & Yeah I will give them time Thank you so much for the reply ! :th_heart:

PlaxMacaws
06-02-2014, 06:58 PM
You're quite welcome :). When it comes to pet birds, patience is an extreme virtue ;)

kendrafitz
06-02-2014, 11:51 PM
I don't have any cockatiel experience, as I only have a GW Macaw. But it sounds like you are on the right track. Spend lots of time talking, reading, just hanging out watching tv with them. They should get used to you and realize you are a good thing. I think it can just take a bit of time.

Mare
06-03-2014, 12:54 AM
I'm going to assume they weren't hand raised? Is this correct? You may have a harder time getting them to warm up to you, not only if this is the case but because they have each other, too. My cockatiel, who came into my life, in the oddest way, will not let me touch him but is still such a joy. If you leave their cage door open, I think, over time they will venture out, try not to force it.

CockatielOwner
06-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Yes, They were not handraised although I am not sure because the pet shop is not a major chain and only has a few birds and also has some tame parrots which wander around freely. Must say that pet shop takes good care of these birds. They give you fact sheets and a beginners kit for cockatiels they also sign you up with a vet and they also do regular check ups. Amazing pet shop. Only reason I bought them from there otherwise I would have gone straight to a good breeder.

Mare
06-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Good for you, sounds like you are on your way to enjoying some happy, healthy birds! It's always nice to hear about pet shops that take great care with their animals, I've heard many horror stories! :(

Robyn
09-17-2014, 04:31 AM
If they haven't already come out leave the cage door open for a few hours eventually they will get curious and wonder out on their own.