PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy this?

2birds
05-23-2014, 02:34 AM
Hey everyone. I found this used cage for sale for 250.00 I'm looking for a cage for the African Grey that I will be getting in a few months. Is it too much cage? I don't think so but maybe I'm wrong. It does need to be sandblasted and re-painted but not a big deal. It's six feet tall.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

2birds
05-23-2014, 02:49 AM
Here's another pic
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

alnoble89
05-23-2014, 03:03 AM
I love that and would put my babies in it size wise. If you can clean it to your liking go for it. My greys think our house is too small of a cage.

2birds
05-23-2014, 03:10 AM
I thought that I could cover the back corner of the lower portion to make a little cubby in case it would like privacy.

alnoble89
05-23-2014, 03:12 AM
When I put Lexi in a cage for the first time she went and stood in the corner and pouted let me see if I have the picture.

alnoble89
05-23-2014, 03:17 AM
Pitiful. 2143

2birds
05-23-2014, 03:18 AM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] poor baby

alnoble89
05-23-2014, 03:20 AM
haha she was only in there for a minute the little stinker. That was a very hard adjustment for her.

Cedardave
05-23-2014, 04:06 AM
Those are great cages.One of my greys is also named lexi.I think the bigger the cage the better.Birds get cabin fever too so the more they have to explore the more their life is enriched.Lots pr room for hanging toys also.

Pinkbirdy
05-23-2014, 11:25 AM
What a great Cage !! I feel bad you have to pay 250 for it though [and having to rehab it].Its like that where Im from too. They think they need what they paid for stuff [birds too] When I see that I always think[ really]. I did that with my Catalina Macaws cage and it worked out great . Our Grey has a big cage [and he seems to enjoy it].

Macaw Lover
05-24-2014, 10:58 PM
Would I buy it? No. Birds tend to go to the highest point and with the one section being cut off from the rest, a bird is not going to be using that area much. I also am not wild about the tops that open up like that, if it should collapse or toes or a tongue getting caught in there.

Grey
05-25-2014, 12:01 AM
It is a good option. For that price you would be able to get a 30x30 new. As far as the two levels, that could work well for a Grey's sensitivities and provide a space out of direct eye contact. The opening top does not have to be used if it concerns you. $250 is a more than fair price for a cage that size.

plax
05-25-2014, 04:29 AM
Birds tend to go to the highest point and with the one section being cut off from the rest, a bird is not going to be using that area much.If that's true then why does Zaf perch on my shoulder instead of my head? :th_loltears:

I also am not wild about the tops that open up like that, if it should collapse or toes or a tongue getting caught in there.Good point.

jacksmom
05-25-2014, 11:55 AM
I would worry about the need to repaint it...I am sure that like a macaw, (what I have) a cockatoo would be able to strip paint off in no time, exposing toxic metal underneath...

Macaw Lover
05-25-2014, 01:22 PM
If that's true then why does Zaf perch on my shoulder instead of my head? :th_loltears:

Because first, it is harder to climb up onto, nothing to grab and pull himself up with.

Second, the head is rounded and not that easily to hold onto with their feet.

Thirdly, this Mama gets my little Kalea down off the head faster from up there than if she just stayed on a shoulder. My Little Monkey doesn't get to stay up there at all.

plax
05-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Because first, it is harder to climb up onto, nothing to grab and pull himself up with.

Second, the head is rounded and not that easily to hold onto with their feet.

Thirdly, this Mama gets my little Kalea down off the head faster from up there than if she just stayed on a shoulder. My Little Monkey doesn't get to stay up there at all.Points noted. But it was just a joke, Renee' :)

Macaw Lover
05-25-2014, 05:41 PM
Oh I know and it is interesting how quickly they see something and then they have to do it too. I think it was the one time Donovan tried getting up there and Kalea saw that and then thinks that is a great place to be. NOT!

2birds
05-26-2014, 02:03 AM
I probably wouldn't even open the top. repainting if done properly and not a rush job would still hold up well. All that being said, I can't get a hold of the person selling it so it looks like I will keep on looking.

jacksmom
05-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Oh, lol, for some reason I thought cockatoo...sorry, African Grey.

I hate to burst your bubble on that one...but no paint, actually nothing really short of a powder coating, is going to hold up against a grey. All it takes is an hour or so of you not paying attention, and that paint would be stripped and possible zinc poisoning imminent. :(

Minamommy
05-27-2014, 11:57 PM
I have that exact cage for my U2 for her downstairs/ outside play cage. Don't worried guys she has a huge regular cage. Anyway she only goes in the high part and will not even play in the lower part. This is strange because in her large cage she plays on the bottom a lot. You can find them new for just a little over that price. Like $280 I think I payed for hers and it's a Pervu very well made. As far as I'm concerned a waste of money since she only goes in that small spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2birds
05-28-2014, 08:26 PM
I have that exact cage for my U2 for her downstairs/ outside play cage. Don't worried guys she has a huge regular cage. Anyway she only goes in the high part and will not even play in the lower part. This is strange because in her large cage she plays on the bottom a lot. You can find them new for just a little over that price. Like $280 I think I payed for hers and it's a Pervu very well made. As far as I'm concerned a waste of money since she only goes in that small spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Kim, I'll have to check that out.

Mare
05-28-2014, 11:09 PM
I think it's an awesome cage and good price, for a bird that size! I've never owned a Grey but my Goffin's is close in size and she uses every inch of her cage that is also close in size. I bought Sassy's cage, used, for $195. I was concerned about the coating because it looked like it was spray painted and, believe me, cockatoos CHEW! I'll see if I can find it, someone sent me something on spray paint being safe for bird cages. We have had no problems with the paint covering,,just the bird :). (Love you Sass!)

2birds
06-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Well, I bought the cage. At first I thought it was sold because the people didn't respond to my couple of calls. Apparently they were out of town. Paid 200. I like the cage, it's 28" in depth, 48" wide and 72" tall. I think that should be plenty big for a grey and the doors are open for my birds most of the time anyway. I'm working on making some better perches for everyone also.

Mare
06-03-2014, 12:26 AM
Excellent price! Scrub it down with vinegar and water and let it dry before bringing it in the house :). We would love to see it when you've got it set up!

jtbirds
06-08-2014, 09:01 PM
That is an awesome cage! I do not have one like that yet. although I have many different styles of cages.... I would wipe it down vinegar might leave a white film on the bars so you may have to spray it with water a few times! good luck and looking forward to pictures in the future.