PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Cropoliths

plax
05-19-2014, 12:39 AM
Text and images from: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Friend and colleague Dr Peter Wilson of Currumbin Creek Veterinary Services kindly allowed me to photograph these cropoliths that form part of his collection of objects removed surgically from live birds and at necropsy. Cropoliths like these are usually but not always the result of parrots and cockatoos and lorikeets swallowing indigestible synthetic fibres that become entangled and matted within the upper digestive tract, commonly the crop, and then impacted with food debris, bacteria and fungi, thus leading to acute and chronic illness, ill health, intermittent attempts to vomit and regurgitate, variable inappetence recurrent bacterial and/or fungal infections, toxaemia, slow starvation and death.

Highly fashionable highly promoted multicoloured synthetic rope perches and toys, often with large tassles included, are commonly the source of such fibres and those who promote and sell them clearly indicate their ignorance and/or their priority of earning more holey dollars over and beyond the welfare of the animals they purport to serve. Synthetic velvetene in cage tents, cage covers and various ties can be other sources of these fibres. An exception to the rule is the very large 2nd last cropolith featured... it is made almost entirely of coconut fibres. It is so easy to prevent your birds getting cropoliths,

Cropoliths are often tricky and expensive to diagnose, especially if they have moved down into the proventriculus and gizzard where they are often fatal, and they can be very expensive to successfully remove surgically.

94lt1
05-19-2014, 07:28 AM
Eeeeek.. We give our birds paper.. But even paper can lead to this I'm told.... Hmmm.

Honesty
05-19-2014, 07:36 AM
Oh No! That is awful :( Many people would not be aware this could happen as rope toys and perches are widely available :( Codie has a rope boing with tassles on it, but, so far I have never seen him chewing it!

Thank you for making us aware of this!

PlaxMacaws
05-19-2014, 02:01 PM
You're welcome. Zaf is notorious for mutilating cotton towels and blankets. I think we all need to be cautious on this danger!

Honesty
05-19-2014, 02:19 PM
You're welcome. Zaf is notorious for mutilating cotton towels and blankets. I think we all need to be cautious on this danger!Absolutely!

2birds
05-19-2014, 10:17 PM
I have several rope toys. I thought they were ok. Those pictures don't look ok

94lt1
05-19-2014, 10:28 PM
I saw a video on this.. It was a budgie I think.. Had to cut its crop open and pull the mass of wound up fibers out of its crop... And sew it up...

My baby girl (Rain) is a shredder.. So is Monte... But he plucks.. We can see his crop... But it's still a concern..

Mare
05-20-2014, 12:52 AM
Wow, that's a scary thought! I suppose some birds must accidentally swallow some of this material.

Minamommy
05-26-2014, 05:51 AM
Oh no Mina has several rope perches. I thought I was being a good parront offering different climbing and perching materials. I keep them trimmed, but she really chews on them a lot. Should I take them out. She also LOVES plastic. It's her favorite thing to chew on. I have watched her and have not seen her ingest it but it is a possibility. Do I take that away to? Would they see one of those on an X-ray?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

plax
05-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Oh no Mina has several rope perches. I thought I was being a good parront offering different climbing and perching materials. I keep them trimmed, but she really chews on them a lot. Should I take them out. She also LOVES plastic. It's her favorite thing to chew on. I have watched her and have not seen her ingest it but it is a possibility. Do I take that away to? Would they see one of those on an X-ray?Hello Kim.

My guess is that cloth fiber bundles would not show up well (if at all) on x-rays. Whether or not to remove Mina's rope perches really depends upon Mina. If she is prone to ingest the fibers, you may want to consider removing the ropes. Your best move will probably be to have a discussion with your avian veterinarian on the issue. Get his/her opinion and go from there.

BeakFace
05-27-2014, 01:02 PM
IT JUST SEEMS EVERYTHING IS A POTENCIAL PROBLEM! I took away a sleepy hut because Bailey got caught in it and what does he do for the first time ever, starts eating the paint off his new cage and almost dies of leed and zinc poisoning! He loved that hut and was very upset with me over taking it away! I just watch my babies very closely but I am amazed at all the danger's! Sometimes I just want to remove all the toys. At the local rescue last week one the cockatoos got it foot caught in a bowl holder at 2:00 am! Thank God for live in help on premises that heard the desperate call for help! Thanks for posting! I have rope in my birds cages so I will be keeping a close eye out!

plax
05-27-2014, 02:06 PM
I agree, and you're welcome. Typically there are lots of risks present within the environments we create for our guys. It's frightening that certain potentially genuine dangers tend to go undiscovered by caregivers. No matter how hard we strive to protect our fids from dangerous objects or situations, it seems like additional things to worry about keep coming to light :(