PDA

View Full Version : Aviary

jacksmom
05-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Please let me know if there is a better place to post this! ;)

Sorry I haven't been on in so long!!! Been busy...got married, going to be buying the farm in a few months...lots going on!

So...we will probably have a kid or two...and this means Jack looses his bedroom. However, I am 100% disinterested in setting up his old cage again...we ALL hated it pretty mutually!

Aviary time! We live in NC, and generally have very mild winters, but of course I am knocking my head against my computer, researching my butt off about everything...is it safe to use galvanized steel in a large aviary, is my heating/cooling plan going to work out, so on...

Really, really, really need you guys!!!

So far, I am planning about 20x10 ft of space. Might have to modify that a bit. What does everyone think of galvanized steel "farm fencing", the rectangular shaped kind? Way to small for him to fit through, it is 14 gauge and doesn't have the toe catching issues of chain link....

Well, let's just start there for now! :rolleyes:

Honesty
05-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Oh Wow! Congrats on your marriage :) I can foresee the pitter patter of tiny feet very soon:)

I can't help you on your aviary question, but I am sure others will be able to assist you with this!

Macaw Lover
05-15-2014, 05:10 PM
Galvanized AFTER welding is supposed to be safe, a lot of long time breeders use it

I saw this ad just a couple of hours ago and it is only the 8 ft octagon shape in Detroit

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

jacksmom
05-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Thank you, Honesty! :D

Macaw Lover, I am not sure if what I am looking at is galvanized after weld...in fact, it probably isn't, because I noted tiny dark spots in the joints. He has never chewed on cage bars when he was in one...but ya never know...so better safe than sorry!!! I will call the company and check.

Okay, on to woods...I know that he cannot have access to treated wood, and the best idea we have come up with as far as framework has been to use untreated 2x4 and 4x4, but to put the wire on the inside and place 2x6 untreated boards on top, and screw them down...then if he chews them (he probably won't) they could be replaced.

Roofing - so far we are leaning heavily towards the kind of corrugated plastic type roofing that is clear. This would let in sun in the winter, and we could use clear plastic tarp around the structure to hold heat. In the summer, we could cover it with s silver tarp to block heat.

Temperature control - as listed above, and we plan to also add an area that is completely enclosed, allowing for a shady spot in the summer, and a warmer spot in the winter. We planned to use a small space heater with a heat sensor in here, of course kept away from him, and without Teflon parts.

Okay...thoughts? Criticisms? Ideas?

Thanks! :cool:

Mare
05-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Congrats on your marriage! Kids, soon to be in the works, Perfect! Your cage plans sound like a good set up. I'm sorry I can't help you with the metal wire issue. Will your bird still have access to your company? To me, that will be most important, especially if he is a solo bird out there.

Untreated wood will be good, especially if he's not a chewer. My cockatoos would have a pile of toothpicks in no time at all! Let us know what you decide upon!

plax
05-15-2014, 11:51 PM
jacksmom- have a look at this thread: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

GAW wire is used by lots of breeders. It's plated with a zinc alloy coating (via the galvanization process)... but it's typically a smoother, more uniform coating than that found on other options (such as chain-link material). There are recommendations to weather GAW outside and scrub it with a vinegar solution before using it on aviary structures. However, I'm unsure how many bird keepers strictly follow this advice. It's important to be certain that one's birds do not gnaw on any galvanized metal objects and that no galvanized surfaces contact their drinking water in order to safeguard against the risk of zinc ingestion and intoxication.

Grey
05-16-2014, 03:07 AM
Thank you, Honesty! :D

Okay, on to woods...I know that he cannot have access to treated wood, and the best idea we have come up with as far as framework has been to use untreated 2x4 and 4x4, but to put the wire on the inside and place 2x6 untreated boards on top, and screw them down...then if he chews them (he probably won't) they could be replaced.

Roofing - so far we are leaning heavily towards the kind of corrugated plastic type roofing that is clear. This would let in sun in the winter, and we could use clear plastic tarp around the structure to hold heat. In the summer, we could cover it with s silver tarp to block heat.

Temperature control - as listed above, and we plan to also add an area that is completely enclosed, allowing for a shady spot in the summer, and a warmer spot in the winter. We planned to use a small space heater with a heat sensor in here, of course kept away from him, and without Teflon parts.

Okay...thoughts? Criticisms? Ideas?

Thanks! :cool:
Given the size, have you thought about a prefabricated garage that you can cover with the wire? If you decide to go with wood, you can cover any accessible surfaces with flashing to prevent damage. As far as the roofing, it would probably be more economical in the long run to do a traditional roof over half of the length as shelter and the other half wire for the all important sunlight. Just out of curiosity, what is Jack?

jacksmom
05-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Mare - more access to my company! I work out there six days a week, all day...and it is in the house poor baby stays and misses momma. Out there, I don't even have to take a break from working for him to see me, and interact with me from a distance. Of course, I won't be able to stop myself from taking lots of head scratching breaks! :cool: Yeah, he really is a lot less of a chewer than I would like...is a great way to burn energy...but it does sometimes come in handy! ;)

Plax - thank you so much for your frank replies...do you know anything about the safety/wear and tear of powder coating outside? I know it would be expensive...but even though Jack is not a cage chewer by any means, we agreed we would not put him in an enclosure that a behavior change on his part would result in rebuilding on ours. I know this is a strong statement, hehe...but we want to get just as close as we can get. Definitely not interested in waiting a year for metal to weather, either...hmm...

Grey - Jack is a blue and gold macaw. :D. Paris, one of Shelly's flock now, was brought in for a bit in the hopes they would take to each other - but he hated her. I never imagined they would actually FIGHT like that over me! Anyway, before she had a chance to get too bonded she was sent to California - and bonded to Shelly instantly. :cool:

Prefab garage...can you post a link of what you mean? I keep thinking of those little stand alone sheds...we actually have a huge building right next to where I was planning to put this thing - one of those aluminum deals. We decided not to use it, because the area is heavily wooded and any skylights we tried to install would probably get covered in pine needles, and take a trip to the roof to clear it. We thought the same about wire as a ceiling - pine needle canopy...

I had a stroke of genius and called my vet...I am 15 minutes from Avian and Exotics and have known Dr. Dan since I was twelve. :)

Thanks so much, guys...keep it coming! :D

Grey
05-16-2014, 04:04 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
05-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Ooo, I like that, George!

plax
05-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Plax - thank you so much for your frank replies...do you know anything about the safety/wear and tear of powder coating outside? I know it would be expensive...but even though Jack is not a cage chewer by any means, we agreed we would not put him in an enclosure that a behavior change on his part would result in rebuilding on ours. I know this is a strong statement, hehe...but we want to get just as close as we can get. Definitely not interested in waiting a year for metal to weather, either...hmm...Waiting would indeed not be much fun. My guess is that powder coated surfaces would eventually chip in some areas, thus exposing the bare metal underneath. At some point those exposed areas would then begin to rust from the moisture outside.

jacksmom
05-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Thank you, Grey, that is cool...I will check into that! :)

Agreed, Plax....probably not the way to go...thanks!

There is actually a lot of types of stainless steel wire mesh and netting available...waiting on a bunch of quotes now. It is expensive, of course....looking at about 600 just for the wire right now...but that's worth it for the peace of mind of not having to rebuild...

Stainless steel also will not rust, unless it is touched by another metal. :) That one I already knew. :)

jacksmom
05-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Okay, so after a heart to heart by email with my wonderful vet - we have settled on GAW wire, and he says a simple vinegar scrub on smooth wire will be fine. :D

So! That is not as easy as I thought it would be, lol...I may be forced to order online. If that's the case, I will definitely be cheating a bit and using our tax id to buy wholesale...after all, his aviary is next to the shop!

Unless anyone knows the secret key to telling whether a fence is GAW or not? Hardly any for sale online list whether it is or not...and locally, none!!! :banghead: