PDA

View Full Version : question about getting a new grey

Monk06
05-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Hi ya, I'm wanting to get an African Grey parrot. Any advise for first time owners?..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monk06
05-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Or what do they acquire from their owners ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mare
05-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Hi, Monk06 :). Will this be your first parrot EVER? If so, I recommend you do a ton of research before bringing home such an intelligent, sensitive creature. I don't have an African Grey but there are many folks here that do. My first bird was an umbrella cockatoo and believe me,,it was NOT a piece of cake getting to know this guy!! It can be done but I sure wished I knew what I was getting into before taking the leap! Hopefully, some Grey owners will come along to help you with your questions :)

Mandi
05-12-2014, 03:49 PM
In my opinion if it was your first parrot EVER I'd go for a small breed like a greencheek conure
Greys are so sensitive
If you want a toddler that will never grow up to look after for the rest of your life
Then go for it , if not I say DONT DO IT :) x

ConureGuy
05-16-2014, 06:10 AM
I'm a first time grey owner had my boy almost a year now i done a fair bit of research with all 3 of my birds i even had the pleasure of finishing the weaning process off with my amazon and my grey but in all honestly i would start with step 1 first research before bringing such an intelligent and sensitive species into your home grey's require a ton of attention and care.

As for food seed mix i would go for a low sunflower blend mixed specially for greys and as for pellets i would recommend kaytee, zupreem or harrisons if money isn't an issue when it comes to interacting with your grey be sure to introduce new items and people all the time as greys tend to get extremely scared around things or people they have never been in contact with i know this as my grey keko will bolt off my shoulder to his cage if someone he doesn't know try's to come near me and him.

And the last thing is be sure to have a good sized cage where your grey can move freely without any issues also have plenty of toys foraging toys and puzzle toys etc as greys love to be mentally challenged with puzzle solving it makes them happy also make sure you have a good three or four perches or more depending on the size cage you choose for your grey meet all the requirements and you and your grey will be happy together i hope you do choose to get one of these remarkable birds as they are so loving and caring and just so damn adorable. :th_heart: